Thinking about joining US Air Force.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Markie_Mark is a decent person
Thinking about joining US Air Force.

I'm 17, 18 in Oct. I'm seriously thinking about joining the air force. I'm not totally sure about what I want to do in life, nor am I lost. I want a change and a life experience that I'm going to remember for the rest of my life. I've had some **** thrown at me in the past two years. Mom and step dad broke up. My relationship with my mom is average now. My relationship with my dad is totally fucked, after he married his bitch *** wife. Haven't talked to him in 6 months and he still wont answer my phone calls. I'm now here at a relatives house paying off my debt with the school. Just when I think I can move forward...BAM!! I got a refund from my school for $800 which would've went to paying off bills, but they sent it to my moms house and she forged the check and put it in her account. I'm now asked to pay $350 for a truck payment and $200 for insurance on a ******* truck I don't even own.

Without me getting to deep into it you guys can see my situation is mediocre at best. I started looking into this, not just as an out but a change for me. A place where I can get some schooling, make some money, and have an experience of a lifetime. I'm not really sure how it works or what I need to do. I was thinking some sort of 2-4 enlistment and going from there.

If I can just get maybe some general info. on how everything works that would great. Bases, Living, Training, Schooling, Careers, How much money I would make if any? I'm in Arnold, CA right now and I think the closest base is Beale. I'm not sure if they put you to the closest base that you are or what? Do I live on base (Dorm Style I suppose)? Is all of that paid for? Right now I don't meet the height/weight qualifications, but I'm working very hard on that every day. Thanks Guys!!:YEAH
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM

me378 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thinking about joining US Air Force.

go see a recruiter 1st. i just got out after six years. i dont think you can do 2 yrs. i think its either 4 or 6. i know in some career fields you get a bonus. pm me if you have any other questions.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM

armydog is a decent person

The military has it's ups and downs. I'm a military brat ( and damn proud ) and I also joined the military. The biggest thing when anyone joins the military is:

Can you deal with going to war? Multipul deployments? A lot of poeple think about all the things the military can offer you, but they seem to over look the whole "Military" thing. And when it comes time for war, people freak out. If you can honestly answer that question for youself, then go for it. And please don't think, I'll join the Air Force so I can be "in rear with the gear", and not get hurt. I am currently in the sandbox ( civilian now)and we get activity here, and I never leave the base. Food for thought.

My dad retired from the Air Force and he had a great time. Not to mention all of the places that we have been to. I joined the military, but I never had the drive to join the Air Force. I just had to do my own thing (USMC/ARMY).

As far as your questions go,

Air Force bases are the nicest buy far. You live in the barracks if your single, and base housing if you have a family. All of which are paid for.

Money, well don't expect to make much. Your pay goes up depending on your rank, or when congress wants to give out pay raises for the military ( don't count on this too offen ). My best advice for you is, put some of you money in TSP (Thrift Savings Plan, Military version of a extra 401k plan) and do not, do not, do not, buy the top of the line car. I have seen too many service members with a kick *** ride, and they are spending damn near their whole paycheck on a car payment.

You won't have to buy food. You can eat at the chow hall for free.

Careers. What would you like to do? Don't go open contract. You should choose you job. Not someone else.

After you graduate from you tech school, It's really a crap shoot as to where you will be stationed. (I use to live at Beale AFB when I was little BTW.)

I hope this answers some of your questions. If not, hit me up.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM

EvanfromNW is a decent person

defiently have a job in writing before you leave for bootcamp
Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 PM

richfunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok.. here we go... yes the military has its ups and its down's.. i am currently in the army.. deployed (with 101st).. for 15 months.. well.. here we go.. we have 6 air force personnel on my FOB.. 4 don't carry weapons.. and they get replaced every 3 months..(they talk to the jets that do airstrikes) ok.. being air force im not sure but.. i don't believe you will deploy longer then 6 months.. before being able to come home.. you certainly won't deploy for 15.. DEPENDING on your job.. the other 2 are EOD tech's.. they are here for 15 months.. due to high IED attacks.. ok.. i thought about joining the AF... You guys have good looking females... good bases.. and great barracks.. (we air force staying in a marine barracks in FT gordon.. and they got cola..) now the down's.. they're so many ppl in the AF that they are being force to downsize(you'll get kicked out for stupid ****) You won't gain rank.. so if you go in as E-2.. more then likely you will stay a e-2 for a while.. and no matter what.. if your in the AF.. other branches are going to make fun of you.. because no matter what you think.. or believe.. you are basically a girl scout in there eye's.. but hey.. mostly all branches will give you good school.. or money for school.. and a great expriences for the most part.. i have good things to say about the army.. then bad things to say.. every branch im sure has the same deal.. some good and some bad.. but i guess you just need to do some research..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Markie_Mark is a decent person

Alright another question for you guys. Doubt it applies here, but whatever. I was and still am overweight. I've lost a shitload of weight already, but I'm hitting a ******* wall right now. After losing my job at chevrolet I barley ever at the gym costs to ******* much. So I've been at home messing around with some free weights and running twice a day on a treadmill. Do I need to start dragging it out longer and longer. I'm eating good...protein, fruits and vegetables...nothing else at all. What am I doing wrong....Open to any suggestions at this point. 360lbs-Oct 2007 250lbs-Today!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Retro is a decent person

ok listen, cut out any food that is white,like milk,bread, potatos,pasta ect. not califlower. this will help.no soda at all,nothing like that.no sugar too.
eat less<don't starve yourself> and move more. also try drinking supliment shakes for 1 or 2 meals a day while on your diet.
oh yea water,water,water.
also when you work out, try to keep your heart rate in your target area for at least 20 min every other day , because your muscles burn fat as they are resting fyi.
get a total gym to work out at home and get sleep 7-8 hours per night.
dont use an anti persprent deoderent because you need to sweat.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

believe it or not... people with shitty homelife and bad relationship with there family's succeed the most in the military. When you have nothing to look forward to at home, you have more of a reason to be there.

i got to know some navy seals my father has known and drilled with for the past 30 years. Every guy that was in that seal team went in because of shitty family life. Seems like the less you have to come home to the more you put into it.

My father went in when he was 19 years old... his father left him when he was young. His family was a mess. He couldn't afford ****. Turned his life around and made him extremely successful in and out of the military.

Just a thought. Seems like the military is exactly what u need

Last edited by StrictlyStunt; 07-28-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM

airbornerunner is a decent person

army ***** onthe airforce
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM

5starstunta is a decent person

You mean the Department of Transportation?

Go Navy
Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 AM
haters are your best fans

DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point

im in the army as well and i love it, im also stationed at ft campbell with the 101st. hey richfunk, what brigade and battallion are you with. im with D Co. 6-101 CAB. anyway, ive heard the AF aint takin nobody unless theyre a prime candidate cuz theyre overpowered right now. just make sure u get everything in writing before u sign the contract and remember what ur signing up for
Old 11-28-2008, 11:08 AM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

Screw the U.S.A.F. I was an airman and hated it. Unless your scores are super high you will get fucked. I wish I would have gone to the Marines.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 PM

125ktm is an unknown quantity at this point

truth is the air force is best by far we have the best jobs and options out of anyone our bases are like paradise compared to any other branch. best spec ops best mechanical jobs and if you want to be a grunt go security forces. i wouldnt sign up for six if i was you. im in aircraft metals im a welder machinist and love it. ive been on both army and marine bases for my training. basically if you want to get treated like a piece of **** for four years go any service but af or navy. here they treat you like a real person not a robot! but dont come here for a check you wont clear 10gs your first couple years. definelty get a guaranteed job before basic or you will be security forces.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM

lightsout is a decent person

join the Marine Corps!!! boot camp sucks SOI/MCT sucks but after that marine life aint that bad. girls love it!! as for being over weight boot camp will take care of that. i went in at 241 and left boot at 200. you will definatly feel like you're apart of something greater than yourself. take a look in your home town and tell me how many people you see with "U.S Airforce" stickers on thier cars or trucks then tell me how many people you see with USMC stickers. jus my .02
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM

125ktm is an unknown quantity at this point

us air force is by far the smallest branch of the service so your sticker arguement is bs
Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
haters are your best fans

DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point

i know the AF guys i worked with in Virginia were really ******* lame, in my opinion anyway. not to mention they whine about ******* everything man. i heard in theyre dining facilities they have people come pick up after them n ****. gimme a ****** break
Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM

5starstunta is a decent person

Originally Posted by 125ktm
truth is the air force is best by far we have the best jobs and options out of anyone our bases are like paradise compared to any other branch. best spec ops best mechanical jobs and if you want to be a grunt go security forces. i wouldnt sign up for six if i was you. im in aircraft metals im a welder machinist and love it. ive been on both army and marine bases for my training. basically if you want to get treated like a piece of **** for four years go any service but af or navy. here they treat you like a real person not a robot! but dont come here for a check you wont clear 10gs your first couple years. definelty get a guaranteed job before basic or you will be security forces.
Stop talking out of your ***. Yeah the Air Force may have the best mechanical jobs but the Navy SEALs are the best Special Operation Force. Also the only services besides AF or Navy is Army.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 AM

Watty19 is a decent person

subscribed
Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 AM

Soldier_89 is a decent person

Grow some ballz and go usmc or army. Af are a bunch of bitches. Its true they cry and bitch about everything. They dnt kno anything about bein tough! HOOAH
Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 AM

bigstove is an unknown quantity at this point

I was army, airborne infantry for 6 years, the airforce is def the way to go if you like to suck ****, but if you aren't a *** go army infantry or marines

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining US Air Force.