Chain Length (sprockets)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:09 AM

portblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Chain Length (sprockets)

Hello every one, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I was reading through a lot of the posts, and saw someone ask:

1 tooth = how many links?

in the simplest form, (paraphrasing afam)

links = number of teeth divided by 2, + 1
or
links = (teeth / 2) + 1

However, if you go to drastic measures, say +15 or so, then you get into more of a complex issue, due to the chain wrapping more than 180 degrees around the rear sprocket.

if you want a good formula to determine total chain length, try this:

F = front teeth
R = rear teeth
P = pitch in inches .625 for 5xx chains (520,530)
Ci = centerline distance in inches (distance center to center of sprockets)
Pi = pi = 3.14159265
Cp = centerline distance in pitches

Cp = Ci / P
Links = (2 * Cp) + ( (R+F) / 2 ) + ( ( (R-F)^2 ) / (4 * Pi * Cp) );

Round Links up to the nearest whole number.

When you measure the Centerline Distance (Ci) measure in inches, and round to the nearest 1/8 inch (.125)

This may seam complex, but it will give a darn near good count of links needed.

Hope this helps
Old 01-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Kelly. is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chain Length (sprockets)

wow, good info.
when i ordered my sprockets, i just asked the guy, what is the biggest sprocket i can go with a 120 link (which was +12 on a f2)

what do you do if you need more then 120 links? how do you get the extra links? do you have to buy a whole nother chain? or do you just load up on master links?
thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you just buy a 130 link chain and cut off what you need. +19 on an f3 and i still had to cut links out of a 120 link chain so 130 should fit just about anything unless you go like 30 up. Most chains come in 100, 110, 120 and so on lengths anyways.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 PM

ok, at the risk of sounding like an afam spokesperson; (they are only a few miles from me)

last time I was there, thier chains were on a spool the size of a beer keg. I just tell them how many links I need and they give me that many. I guess if you buythempre boxed, then they come in std lengths.

btw:
you can just order a few links, and rivit in the new section without using a removable masterlink.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
back in the saddle again

ya, at the shop i work at we only carry pre-cut chains. too many customers would have us cut 114 link or whatever and want to return it because they were dumbasses and measured wrong.....so we stopped that **** real fast.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:24 PM

Now I feel dumb,

I just found someone who has a 64 tooth in stock, so I ordered it, now I find my self wondering how many links do I need to add.

I am at the office, and want to pick up some links on the way home, hmm, I think I need to memorize my centerline distance.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

i went up 16 on my zx 6r and only had to add 5 links...
Old 01-20-2005, 02:05 AM

hmm, up 5 links?

Up 16 teeth, that would be 8 links on the back half of the sprocket, thus requiring 8 links (roughly). Did you move the rear tire forward at all or is it in the same place? was there alot of slack in the chain?

I went up in the front, and it took up a sloppy chain, although on a 5xx chain thats only .625" hoever, the dynamics of the diamater/circ, dicates otherwise.

Not saying you didn't do it, just curious as to the mechanics of it. (I kinda like to puzzle myself wit math)
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 AM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

portblock u sound pretty when u talk...how about you tell me on a 03 f4i, -2 up front, and a 61 in the back, how many links? and what if i'm at 46* and 74 latitude, then what? and why do toilets spin the other way in the southern hemisphere?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:37 AM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was always told to go with a 120 and cut it down

is that too hard, and if you need more then masterlink the additional section on or just get a bunch of masterlinks

is it really that hard? cause i failed jr high math twice
Old 01-20-2005, 03:54 AM

two answer two questions in one post, first the latter:

its not that hard, tonight I picked up a 2 foot section of chain, never know when you need a link. also, I was originaly answering some people as they were debating somewhere on here as to how many teeth equal how many links.

as to the formar, you didnt supply me the centerline distance, but it would be 38.125" around the rear sprocket, and a delta angle of 4 degrees. 46 north or south 74 east or west? Are you sure toilets spin the oppisite direction? it may be an urban myth. whirlpools have been proven to be random in direction. if not, the we would not be able to flush on the equator.

just my
Old 01-20-2005, 07:34 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by portblock
hmm, up 5 links?

Up 16 teeth, that would be 8 links on the back half of the sprocket, thus requiring 8 links (roughly). Did you move the rear tire forward at all or is it in the same place? was there alot of slack in the chain?

I went up in the front, and it took up a sloppy chain, although on a 5xx chain thats only .625" hoever, the dynamics of the diamater/circ, dicates otherwise.

Not saying you didn't do it, just curious as to the mechanics of it. (I kinda like to puzzle myself wit math)
i was up 4 when i got the bike, i didnt count the links that were on there originally, it could have been longer than stock to begin with. right now im -1/+16 and i added 5 full links. and as im shure you know 1 link is actually 2 links.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:24 AM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by portblock
as to the formar, you didnt supply me the centerline distance, but it would be 38.125" around the rear sprocket, and a delta angle of 4 degrees. 46 north or south 74 east or west? Are you sure toilets spin the oppisite direction? it may be an urban myth. whirlpools have been proven to be random in direction. if not, the we would not be able to flush on the equator.

just my
ouch...you have failed. Coriolis affect comes into play, the theory of the earths revolutions and due to the axis and the earths "circular" shape, objects are sent to the right of motion... say you have your back to the equator in the N hemisphere, and the wind is blowing in the same direction you are looking..the wind would be up and to the right...so in a NE direction...and in the S, it would be going in a SW direction..it's pretty interesting, look it up..
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by crtchrktrcr
ouch...you have failed. Coriolis affect comes into play, the theory of the earths revolutions and due to the axis and the earths "circular" shape, objects are sent to the right of motion... say you have your back to the equator in the N hemisphere, and the wind is blowing in the same direction you are looking..the wind would be up and to the right...so in a NE direction...and in the S, it would be going in a SW direction..it's pretty interesting, look it up..
and on the equator water flows straight down.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
B.T.M.

Originally Posted by binder929rr
and on the equator water flows straight down.
no there is a fine line of the equator, which decides what side of it you're on...the force is much more intense near the poles. but very weak near the equator
Old 01-20-2005, 11:58 AM
back in the saddle again

no there is a fine line of the equator, which decides what side of it you're on...the force is much more intense near the poles. but very weak near the equator

well, obviously it's going to have rotation unless perfectly on the equator but in theory, ON the equator water fill flow directly down without rotation.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
B.T.M.

haha how can u specify directly down? and u have to understand, the earth is still moving..not like on the equator it stands still..so there is still some movement..if it was flat, it would remain pretty much constant...but there are curves...so it will always slope away from the center..and damnit now i have to go to school
Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
back in the saddle again

haha how can u specify directly down? and u have to understand, the earth is still moving..not like on the equator it stands still..so there is still some movement..if it was flat, it would remain pretty much constant...but there are curves...so it will always slope away from the center..and damnit now i have to go to school
i'm talking about in a toliet. instead of circling it just goes straight down the hole.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM
B.T.M.

now that would be sweet
Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Irish-1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that why mexico smells?? j/k

learnin a lil something here... looks like chemistry, but it'll hoepfully still be here when I need it...

Quick Reply: Chain Length (sprockets)