Stunt Discussion Polls Forum Please post all polls for stunt discussion in this forum, if you don't, they will most likely get moved here anyways.
View Poll Results: How did you learn brake control
Got no brake control
13.52%
fiddy/dirtbike to learn, then did it on the streetbike
27.87%
atv to learn, then did it on the streetbike
9.43%
That shits easy, been scraping since i was 5...
4.92%
Learned on the streetbike
44.26%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Poll- How did you learn slow wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM

sweet99F4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Poll- How did you learn slow wheelies?

Wut can i do to gain stability side to side when poppin say 10mph my bike wants to wobble like crazy. . .
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

low tire pressure, lean back, loose arms, make lots of small corrections, be smooth on the throttle, a fiddy helps but you can learn it on the big bike (as you can see from the poll)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 AM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

Wink 1100 video. Never seen a 12 before....I've never been the same since. Probably THE most influential moment of my life (can only hope something I do will have this effect on at least one person before I croak) seeing it on tape. Rewound it 100 times. Never had a teacher or even saw it in person. Took me an ENTIRE summer to learn. My First scrape ever can be seen on Colbert's original Judgement Day. Came down sideways, hammered my heel into the pavement and limped proudly for 2 weeks. If I had to give up everything I know on a bike and only be able to save 1 trick, it would hands down be a standard seated 12. Rocking 30 mph on the street looking into someone's window, seeing the disbelief on their face and then riding off feeling like a hero..... You can keep the rest.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 AM

I went to a bike show in ft lauderdale(probably 2002), at fuddruckers, saw some dude on an all black furred out 900rr. He left the show and hit a 12 on the street, that **** changed my life, didn't even know it was possible to wheelie like that before then. All ive ever wanted to do since then was have that kind of control over my bike...
I didn't even have a bike at the time, within a week i got a job and saved up for my first bike.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 PM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

That was probably Brock Catronio of XXX you saw.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Cool, i never knew who that was
Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 PM

rcklssr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did most of you learn sitting or standing. I do most of my wheelies standing-staggared, so i figured it would be easiest for me to learn standing. Is there something i don't know, should i learn 12's sitting down first or whatever is natural?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaneone
I learned on a Stock '97 GSXR 750... no cages no bar no nadda..

and I learned by wrecking.. a lot...

and overheating the brakes a lot... straight destroying pads if i remember right...

-kane
hell yeah
I think I've been through 6-7 brake pads in like 8months.
I've got video of my rotor RED hot about to melt. With SS-lines it never faded either (f4i) WOW!! My GSXR fades if I even look at it wrong . Damn i was shocked when i finally caught idle and realized how light, on the brakes, I should have been
Old 10-21-2005, 05:28 PM

CKxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DavidR3
i agree... that is probally the best way to learn
or
you can always go about 5 to 10mph - pull in the clutch- then when your bike starts to redline- dump the clutch - IF u chose to use this method please have a friend with a video camra watching at all times
Ive done that. Its lays a long black stripe down your street.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM

Dead Game is an unknown quantity at this point

learned on a XR 100 big sprokket blinged out with crome spraypaint that helps tons
Old 10-22-2005, 12:57 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

i'm starting to get them down pretty good but i'm stuck at this one situation. i'm running sprockets 15/45 stock is 17/42. i started learning by watching the kyle woods video, and i can pull them up and be at the balance point at like 20mph, then come back too far and slow myself down to about 10, but my hand is still at the same throttle position as if i was at 20 mph, and it feels like its f*ckin my motor and back brakes up. any suggestions? whenever i let off the gas a little it drops too much and i have to chase it back up. i dunno what the hell to do.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:28 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143831
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 PM

cuXtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to the stunt show at Volusia,co fairgrounds 2002 Starboyz, XXX and PBR, hung out all weekend and watched some of the best riders ride seen Darius do a no hander covering his face on his black and blue R1, Chauncy doing circles on woods bike and came staright home ordered sprokckets and cage and trashed a totally chromed out 02 gixxer 1k

www.cixteam.com
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 AM

DBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to all

I ride engine brake keep it old school
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person
Question Re: Poll- How did you learn slow wheelies?

Am I missing here? Why does it seem so many people have to "learn" the rear brake? Did you guys just let yourself get into a bad habit of only using the front brake and then have trouble breaking it or something?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 AM

DBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Valeska
Am I missing here? Why does it seem so many people have to "learn" the rear brake? Did you guys just let yourself get into a bad habit of only using the front brake and then have trouble breaking it or something?
We all must learn rear brake so when we pull next to a hot chick we could just slow our wheelies down i dont know does that answer your question
Old 12-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person

Eh... nope. But nice try! lol
What I'm saying is, how did you get up to stunting and not already be damn well accustomed to manipulating the rear brake? I guess just even with 2 wheels down daily riding I try to never let myself pick up & hang onto any bad habits, crutches, etc. That stuff always comes up to nip you later so then you have to unlearn/relearn anyways at some point to optimize your riding skill potential. Eh, maybe that's just me. But I don't tend to learn things in little baby steps anyways, I try to start right out at as advanced a level as I can manage in whatever I do... sure, initial learning is more challenging if not downright difficult but in my experience you get much better faster that way. It's harder and slower starting, but once you begin to adapt, the results of the rapid skill development you are forcing upon yourself is well worth it.
I try to explain this same concept every time I have to argue with someone as to why I'm going for a 929 instead of a 600, and they just don't seem to get it.
Sorry to rant...

Last edited by Valeska; 12-12-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bruno_z
I learned on the streetbike, but I voted for "That ****'s easy...", cuz it realy was for me...after I listened to advices of some ppl on here I started to apply them in my practice sessions and I got 12's realy quick(don't mean on lock) - the same day I went past BP, but of course these 12's weren't constant and smooth but rather just coming at 12 and bringing it back, but it was a start...

things that helped me alot:

step 1 - I knew I won't be able to use RB to save my *** b/c I was way too focused on my throttle control...so I stared saying "RB, RB, RB, RB, RB..." in my head while riding, and therefore reminded myself to use it when needed.

step 2 - I started using only my RB (front only when needed) in normal riding, especialy in traffic where there is alot of stop and go. This way I forced this reaction in my subconciousnes (bad spelling for shure, lol) so it was my second nature. During step 2 I was also applying step 1.

step 3 - I started bringing the bike down from a wheelie using RB, and I didn't focus on riding BP, it mattered for me that I stabilize my throttle to constant and holding it like that, riding it and bringing it down with RB.

step 4 - I started popin it up on limited lenght lot (approx. 40 meters) from practically dead stop, which forced me to pull it up quick and slow it down before the end. Of course all of the skills previously gained in steps 1-3 made this almost very easy to learn.

hope this helps someone...be safe guys

I had the throttle obsession at wheelie practice this Sun! I felt like I'd forgotten everything I'd learned but at the same time I wasn't just picking it up and banging it back down again. I'm goijng to tell myself rb next weekednd and see if ti helps get me more consistent.

So I'm getting somewhere but have no real clue how, yet.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Valeska
Yep, basically. I got good at fb and clutch brake, and shied away from the rb for some reason.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 AM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

Using rear brake to control a wheely is completely different to useing rear brake to slow you down on the street, that's why you need to learn rear brake for stunting and sometimes it can take a while to learn.

I thought this post would be ****, same old **** poll but someone (zunit i think) posted something that may help me a lot, im getting idle now and can do it for a bit and get it most times, but im draggin the brake very gently (barely on it) when i tihnk i should be tapping it.. going to try that next time and see if it helps.. im so close to being consistant with it so just need more practice.

My brake control has improved immensely since I started properly learning that trick where you ride around in circles on the idle with no hands on bar.. (both wheels on floor...) i can do that easily now (left only tho) and can do it standing up for a bit.. it's helped my general brake control a lot, maybe its just me but id reccomend others try it see if it helps..

Quick Reply: Poll- How did you learn slow wheelies?