Fan switch mod....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

SmokechecK is a decent person
Fan switch mod....

Sorry to ask a question that has been covered, but I cant the thread that explains how to do this, or what you need to make it happen. My bike is getting super hot throughout the practice sessions and I'd like to help keep her cool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Clutchitup.com

2 Vicious Freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fan switch mod....

buy a switch, and some wire, wire one end of the switch to your battery, then find the hot wire going to your fan, splice it and wire it to the other side of the switch. boom ur done.. Oh, i'd also put an inline fuse on the wire comming from the battery juz incase
Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
use code "handy" 4 magura

stuntsteel is a decent person

fuse and relay.

plus if you have the room run 2 fans and lots of engine ice with distilled water!!!

4 ALL CYCLE PERFORMANCE "Be a Star"
P- (484) 494-3136
Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Hate the smell of TPD

Dan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the rough

yeap and put some water wetter in the radiator, that **** works
Old 01-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Skiboarder311
buy a switch, and some wire, wire one end of the switch to your battery, then find the hot wire going to your fan, splice it and wire it to the other side of the switch. boom ur done.. Oh, i'd also put an inline fuse on the wire comming from the battery juz incase
Originally Posted by stuntsteel
fuse and relay.

plus if you have the room run 2 fans and lots of engine ice with distilled water!!!
Both wrong. Find the wire that goes to the thermostat on the radiator. You will know it is the wire if you pull it out of the thermostat and ground it and the fan comes on (of course the ignition has to be on). Take a scotchlock to tap into this wire and run it to one side of a SPST switch and run the wire on the other end of the switch to any ground. This way with the switch on, the fan will be always on and if the switch is off it will run like stock and you will not forget and overheat your bike just riding around.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Professional Work Avoider

GSXR Carlos will become famous soon enoughGSXR Carlos will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NINER
Both wrong. Find the wire that goes to the thermostat on the radiator. You will know it is the wire if you pull it out of the thermostat and ground it and the fan comes on (of course the ignition has to be on). Take a scotchlock to tap into this wire and run it to one side of a SPST switch and run the wire on the other end of the switch to any ground. This way with the switch on, the fan will be always on and if the switch is off it will run like stock and you will not forget and overheat your bike just riding around.
DING DING DING, we have a winner, or wire up a second fan and that rad will be ice cold
Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 PM

Thank you everyone...... Helps me out a ton. Do I need to fabricate a mount to run a second fan? I would love to do that.

Buz
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM

da Liks is a decent person

no just leave it floating in the air..
Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

600rr its a ground operated relay, no fuses needed just ground the relay threw a switch and your done, on off and it runs threw your factory fuse panel
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks brother......
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

**** a relay

**** a fuse

**** buying more **** and running more wire then needed

Go to the stock temp sensor, AFTER the sensor, between the fan and sensor, splice the wire, but LEAVE the sensor hooked up (that way if you forget to turn your fan on, it comes on its own)

Then I'm not sure how a 600rr works, but a f4i uses a switched GROUND, so it always has a hot, so you have to run the switch to a ground to complete the circuit..

Then all you need is a toggle switch, and about 1 foot of wire

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
600rr its a ground operated relay, no fuses needed just ground the relay threw a switch and your done, on off and it runs threw your factory fuse panel
+1
Best way to do it, and leave the stock unit hooked up for safety
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Griffy is a decent person

ground out the thermostat! run a switch straight to ground. it will still work with switch not on. so if you forget it still kicks on..
Old 02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
so cal stunters union

g-man FOFC is a decent person

Originally Posted by NINER
yup this is the write way for honda
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Tasty_McWheelie is a decent person

This is what i did.. there is a 2 wire connector that goes into your fan from you harness right? ok. get the 2 wires that come directly out of your fan motor (not the whole connector.. just the motor.) cut those wires, and make a connector or hard wire them into the connector on the harness. you cannot blow anything by getting these 2 backwards, the fan will just rotate the wrong way if you reverse the wires. good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Tasty_McWheelie is a decent person

by doing this, you eliminate the thermometer thing coming out of your radiator. and it will turn on with your key.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
cereal killer XD

Matrix5150 is a decent person

heres how you do it.................make about a grand and then find some black or mexican ppl, black is better cause they are faster, and buy then high powerd fans and pay then to run around next to you with extention cords. works like a charm!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Got it all hooked up and chilling it perfect.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:19 PM

da Liks is a decent person

got any pics of where you hooked it up smoke?? cant see the thermostat!!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tasty_McWheelie
by doing this, you eliminate the thermometer thing coming out of your radiator. and it will turn on with your key.
my 2 cents, leave it on a switch.

You don't need your radiator fan to suck your battery down when your not at full operating temp..

The thermostat shouldn't even open tell 180ish, so there is no reason to cool it before then.
Not to mention, your bike NEEDS to run at 180+ to run right.

When your bike is idling, it has JUST enough juice to keep it going, no more! If you run your fan with headlights at idle, it'll slowly kill your battery..

I just run mine on a switch, and its ONLY on when I've been at the lot for at least 10 minutes adn I'm getting over 200f engine temp
Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts

after reading all of this why wouldnt you just leave it alone scince if the bike should turn itself on at 180 degrees or so and leave it on till it drops down wouldnt that be the best for the bike anyway or am I mistaken

Quick Reply: Fan switch mod....