Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   Throttle control on standups (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/89456-throttle-control-standups.html)

FHL 09-05-2004 02:48 PM

Throttle control on standups

I've been out practicing my 2nd gear standups, and I've been using bounce/clutch.

I don't wanna hear anything about how easy it is to just power wheelie it in second cause it doesn't work like that at this altitude, and I'm barely slipping the clutch just enough to get it past that first foot or so.

So when it comes up, it's really hard to roll off the throttle for me, does anyone have tips cause I don't want it to come up too fast one time and loop. I've got both feet on the front pegs, would one foot on the rear help with leverage so that all my weight isn't on my hands?

brian127 09-05-2004 04:12 PM

Re: Throttle control on standups

youve got to learn to seperate the holding on and supporting the weight of your body from the twisting of the wrist - if that makes any sence - this seperation is extremely vital in motocross and thats where i got the feel from. and one foot on the rear does help alot with this.

xraycatj 09-06-2004 02:49 AM

Its Not The Altitude.........................

xraycatj 09-06-2004 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=brian127]youve got to learn to seperate the holding on and supporting the weight of your body from the twisting of the wrist - if that makes any sence - this seperation is extremely vital in motocross and thats where i got the feel from. and one foot on the rear does help alot with this.[/QUOTE]

exactly. while i was learning i found out that i was leaning forward as the bike went up and i didn't even realize. as soon as i learned to lean back and relax my grip it went straight up to BP. i'm still learning though.

Jaket 09-06-2004 04:47 AM

left leg on the passanger peg helps alot.. Just make sure it doesn't fold up(some bikes do that)...

Then it should be really easy, clutch it from low speed, pressure to the rear peg to bring it up... I think you should stand straight up when it's up, not hang back anymore..

Jaket

brandolb 09-07-2004 02:25 AM

[QUOTE=FHL]I've been out practicing my 2nd gear standups, and I've been using bounce/clutch.

I don't wanna hear anything about how easy it is to just power wheelie it in second cause it doesn't work like that at this altitude, and I'm barely slipping the clutch just enough to get it past that first foot or so.

So when it comes up, it's really hard to roll off the throttle for me, does anyone have tips cause I don't want it to come up too fast one time and loop. I've got both feet on the front pegs, would one foot on the rear help with leverage so that all my weight isn't on my hands?[/QUOTE]
You are nowhere near getting 2nd gear stand ups, so don't ask.
Like i said...stop blaming alitude on your lack of skill.
Get out and ride.

JonnyJ 09-07-2004 02:42 AM

Not to hijack the thread but i've been having some trouble with throttle control in first gear standups. I get to the bp but i usually chop the throttle a bit and end up rocking in front and behind the bp overall speeding up. Is it better to just try and keep the throttle steady in first and use the rear brake to help balance or should i keep trying to work on making smooth adjustments to the throttle?

crazeinc 09-07-2004 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=JonnyGSXR]Not to hijack the thread but i've been having some trouble with throttle control in first gear standups. I get to the bp but i usually chop the throttle a bit and end up rocking in front and behind the bp overall speeding up. Is it better to just try and keep the throttle steady in first and use the rear brake to help balance or should i keep trying to work on making smooth adjustments to the throttle?[/QUOTE]

keep the throttle steady and use the brake for minor adjustments....like I should talk I'm working on the same thing.

IMR-Merlin 09-07-2004 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=JonnyGSXR]Not to hijack the thread but i've been having some trouble with throttle control in first gear standups. I get to the bp but i usually chop the throttle a bit and end up rocking in front and behind the bp overall speeding up. Is it better to just try and keep the throttle steady in first and use the rear brake to help balance or should i keep trying to work on making smooth adjustments to the throttle?[/QUOTE]
What are you running your idle at???

JonnyJ 09-07-2004 01:24 PM

Like 1k, whatever stock is, i've never tried to raise it.

IMR-Merlin 09-07-2004 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=JonnyGSXR]Like 1k, whatever stock is, i've never tried to raise it.[/QUOTE]
As long as you have a handle on brake, you can raise it to around 3000-3500 this will take the bouncing through balance point out. Go out and practice ane let me know what you think.

JonnyJ 09-07-2004 06:16 PM

I'll try that tonight. Another thing is that whenever i'm going slow (and sometimes fast) i tend to get wobble. Its my own fault for some reason i tend to move my weight on the pegs from side to side, like i'll accidently be putting more weight on one side and then it will start to move that way so i'll try and put weight on the other peg and then i get wobble. Do you think lower tire pressure will help, right now i'm at 10psi on the 160 still. I'm getting a 180 from a friend soon and that should help but should i lower the psi more till then?

Jon

eskimo 09-07-2004 06:43 PM

is it supposed to feel like your gonna fall off when you lean it back on a standup? i bounce mine up(dont give me any shit on clutchin it) and on my dirtbike i just lean back until it taps the rear fender on the ground and either jump off the bike or set it back down. i really dont wanna wreck the bike. seein its not a stunt bike it just feels like im leanin to far. i see some of yalls picks and vids and im like DAMN. just tryin to get better. maybe one day ill grow some balls and get me a stunt bike! :twofinger

IMR-Merlin 09-07-2004 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=JonnyGSXR]I'll try that tonight. Another thing is that whenever i'm going slow (and sometimes fast) i tend to get wobble. Its my own fault for some reason i tend to move my weight on the pegs from side to side, like i'll accidently be putting more weight on one side and then it will start to move that way so i'll try and put weight on the other peg and then i get wobble. Do you think lower tire pressure will help, right now i'm at 10psi on the 160 still. I'm getting a 180 from a friend soon and that should help but should i lower the psi more till then?

Jon[/QUOTE]
I run about 15-20 for pressure. Try running 18 as a happy medium. For super slow stuff it wont make that much of a difference, but if you get above 30mph the real low pressure will effect you. Just go in from riding and had a good session got some longer no handed sitdowns and long ass scrapes into parks. Circles got tighter too. Keep up the work and let me know if anything I said helps. PM me if you want.
Peace

Albgixxer 09-08-2004 08:46 AM

The wobbles will go away with time. As you get more relaxed and accustomed to being in this position you will get smoother. I used to get them bad and still do everyonce and a while but for the most part they are gone.