Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   clutch [pak question (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/69151-clutch-pak-question.html)

2001f4i 04-13-2004 09:20 PM

clutch [pak question

i just recently installed new fiber and steel discs along with 5 springs in my 2001 f4i. the problems is now whenever i am in second gear anywhere around 8,000 rpms it slips into neutral. is there anyway i could of installed the discs wrong. i can clucth wheelies in 1,2, and 3rd, but anything around 8,000 rpms in second it pops into neutral. anyone with any ideas? : :2cents

brandolb 04-13-2004 10:29 PM

Re: clutch [pak question

I don't think that has anything to do with the new clutch.
I put a new clutch in my bike and when i take off hard, sometimes it makes this hard rubbing sound or something. I can feel it through the bike.
Any idea was this is.

KC Tony 04-13-2004 10:53 PM

Did you remember to soak the plates in oil before you installed them

2001f4i 04-16-2004 06:01 PM

yeah i soaked each plate as i put them in. i think it might be the synchro or the shifter shaft in the gearbox. someone at my work told me that.
does anyone know how much a new synchro for a bike gearbox.

Manubi 04-17-2004 07:26 AM

Sounds Like The Gearbox Prob U Mentioned .ive Heard It Before . But On A Gsxr 600

standy 04-17-2004 10:55 AM

you need to rebuild the trans. The shift forks and drum are wasted, causing your problem.

GSE_Anthony 04-17-2004 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=standy]you need to rebuild the trans. The shift forks and drum are wasted, causing your problem.[/QUOTE]
That's it. It isn't a clutch problem it's a tranny problem. It isn't as easy as replacnig a shift fork, you gotta pul the motor and work on the tranny. Likely you need the drum, forks and possibly more. Not cheap. When it happened to me 10 years ago it cost me about $700 and that was with me pulling the motor and bringing it to a shop. If they pull the motor the price will be more.

Also soaking clutch plates should be for a few hours at least. I always soak them overnight before installing them.

Good luck.

955iDisastar 04-17-2004 02:41 PM

could also simply be the dawgs on the gear itself, if the dawgs are tapered the gear will fall back out uder a severe load. Will need to replace second and the engagement gear.

2001f4i 04-17-2004 03:24 PM

would i have to pull the motor out to pull the trans out, or is there a way i can get the trans out without having to pull the motor.

955iDisastar 04-17-2004 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=2001f4i]would i have to pull the motor out to pull the trans out, or is there a way i can get the trans out without having to pull the motor.[/QUOTE]

you should be able to do a visuall inspect by taking the oil pan off, but pretty sure you have to split the cases to do any real work on it.

GSE_Anthony 04-18-2004 09:08 AM

Motor has to come out to split the case and get in there.
And yes the dogs on the gears will likely be bad but I think that is usually in addition to the fork and drum. If I remember correctly I needed 2nd and 6th gear as well as the forks and drum when mine went. I think the chance is slim you will only need any one of these parts since it is falling out of 2nd so easily. If you caught it when it first happened a couple times you would have alot less internal damage, once it pops out everytime your in second, you likely have some extensive damage in there.
Also my bike this happened on was a '91 ZX6, once the gears were replaced I had the whole tranny undercut help prevent this from happening again. Not sure is yours is undercut from the factory, alot of bike come that way now, but if not it's worth the $100-$150 IMO to get it done when the tranny is out and getting fixed. Much more positive feel to your shifts and much less chance of ever missing a shift again.

covertwar 04-18-2004 01:11 PM

2nd gear problems suck, the guys above are right, you are going to have to split your case at the very least, see this site for a feel of what you have to do, this is for a ZX-6, but you get the picture on what an undertaking it is. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then just get a cheap engine and swap it in.

[url]http://roy.shaptech.com/gearfix/[/url]

Second gear gets the most wear, cuz you gotta go thru it to the other gears