Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   Scratched fork tube (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/267789-scratched-fork-tube.html)

-Eirik- 11-05-2009 11:41 AM

Scratched fork tube

Got a couple of marks on a fork tube, right above the seal, and it leaks somewhat. Is there someway to fix it? Like a filler or something?

GORBO 11-05-2009 12:19 PM

Re: Scratched fork tube

[quote=-Eirik-;4186780]Got a couple of marks on a fork tube, right above the seal, and it leaks somewhat. Is there someway to fix it? Like a filler or something?[/quote]

im not sure how to fix it, but if and once you do, get some seal savers (sealsavers.com), or you can get em at cycle gear (if they have those in norway lol) they fucking work wonders. Ive been beating on the same 05-06 636 forks for a long time and the seals have never gone bad

4shzx6 11-05-2009 12:34 PM

i seen a vid on youtube when i replaced my seals,the guy said get some very fine wet and try sandpaper using water aswell too just lightly rub over and smooth out any imperfections on the chrome left by scratches or little dents so when new ones go in they wont rip em up,i done mine as ther was a few little dents from stones.mine have been fine since,urs may still leak tho if the scratch is quite deep .

-SKETCHY- 11-05-2009 01:04 PM

I gotta get my left fork resurfaced on the 636. Has a nick that i can't polish out and it keeps bustin the oil seal :(

T/C 11-05-2009 01:16 PM

[quote=GORBO;4186832]im not sure how to fix it, but if and once you do, get some seal savers (sealsavers.com), or you can get em at cycle gear (if they have those in norway lol) they fucking work wonders. Ive been beating on the same 05-06 636 forks for a long time and the seals have never gone bad[/quote]

+1 Seal savers are awesome... When racing dirt i was blowing seals all the time got some seal savers and have not blown a seal and 6 months... Maybe its cause i am not landing short all the time anymore though :LOL

Towlieee 11-05-2009 01:28 PM

You can ATTEMPT to use very fine grit sand paper to take any 'raised' sections of metal, but if the nicks just go INTO The metal, nothing you can really do..

But just fixing the nicks wont stop your leak, you need new seals, and possibly new bushings if your forks have much over 10k on them

[QUOTE=T/C;4186883]+1 Seal savers are awesome... When racing dirt i was blowing seals all the time got some seal savers and have not blown a seal and 6 months... Maybe its cause i am not landing short all the time anymore though :LOL[/QUOTE]

If your blowing seals in 6 months your doing something wrong anyways, did you inspect the bushings to see if they need replaced?

But yeah seal savers are real nice. Not as needed on a street bike, but definitely needed in the dirt

DCP-TED 11-05-2009 01:37 PM

Poor mans seal savers...

[IMG]http://www.can-coolers.com.au/images/template5/neoprene-bottle-holder-with-zipper1.jpg[/IMG]

Towlieee 11-05-2009 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Talen;4186905]Poor mans seal savers...

[IMG]http://www.can-coolers.com.au/images/template5/neoprene-bottle-holder-with-zipperpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:LOL:LOL

hell the red one almost looks like it says kawaski anyways :cheers

T/C 11-05-2009 02:23 PM

[quote=Towlieee;4186901]You can ATTEMPT to use very fine grit sand paper to take any 'raised' sections of metal, but if the nicks just go INTO The metal, nothing you can really do..

But just fixing the nicks wont stop your leak, you need new seals, and possibly new bushings if your forks have much over 10k on them

If your blowing seals in 6 months your doing something wrong anyways, did you inspect the bushings to see if they need replaced?

But yeah seal savers are real nice. Not as needed on a street bike, but definitely needed in the dirt[/quote]

It has been 6 months now and i have not blown one is what i was trying to say Lol Problem was fixed it was the bushing causing me so many problems between that and the dirt we ride in its horrible on seals

-Eirik- 11-05-2009 02:30 PM

Yea its not the f4i, its the ole gasgas, so thanks for the seal saver tip Im definitely getting a pair. And yes Im putting on new seals.

As for the scratches Im gonna try sanding off any chrome bits sticking out and see if that helps.

Thanks guys

Towlieee 11-05-2009 02:35 PM

Also if it just blows seals back out, often times you can get JUST the chrome part of the fork (the part that slides and is nicked) for pretty damn cheap used

But I'm not sure how easy it would be to find them for a gasgas..

birdie 11-05-2009 02:58 PM

i have used clear nail varnish to fill a few scratches before, seems to work fine, and is nice and cheap

-Eirik- 11-05-2009 03:08 PM

[quote=birdie;4187039]i have used clear nail varnish to fill a few scratches before, seems to work fine, and is nice and cheap[/quote]

Yeah I actually just read that somewhere googling around, and thought about giving it a shot. I wasnt going to post it up tho, because it sounded stupid :LOL That actually works?