Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   Clutch Question (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/229335-clutch-question.html)

dj_5 08-17-2008 06:17 PM

Clutch Question

Just recently stunted out my 05 GSXR 600 and been messing around for about 2 weeks now and fried my clutch the other day. Bike only has 5500 miles on it and I havent really done anything that should hurt the clutch no burnouts or anything like that just learning stoppies and basic small wheelies tryin to get a feel for stuff. What I am wondering is it normal to go thru clutches pretty quick in this type of riding or is there just something screwed up bout my bike?

Dan_DGAF666 08-17-2008 06:24 PM

Re: Clutch Question

stop riding the clutch, maybe you just glazed over your clutch plates. have you taken them out and looked at them?

mofat01 08-17-2008 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=dj_5;3456288]Just recently stunted out my 05 GSXR 600 and been messing around for about 2 weeks now and fried my clutch the other day. Bike only has 5500 miles on it and I havent really done anything that should hurt the clutch no burnouts or anything like that just learning stoppies and basic small wheelies tryin to get a feel for stuff. What I am wondering is it normal to go thru clutches pretty quick in this type of riding or is there just something screwed up bout my bike?[/QUOTE]

Think about it, the clutch worked fine until you started to mess around and now its broke. It's not the Clutch, its not the bike, its you my friend. You fucked it up.

wheelburns 08-17-2008 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=dj_5;3456288]Just recently stunted out my 05 GSXR 600 and been messing around for about 2 weeks now and fried my clutch the other day. Bike only has 5500 miles on it and I havent really done anything that should hurt the clutch no burnouts or anything like that just learning stoppies and basic small wheelies tryin to get a feel for stuff. What I am wondering is it normal to go thru clutches pretty quick in this type of riding or is there just something screwed up bout my bike?[/QUOTE]

it depends what exactly is wrong? did u change the adjustment on your lever?

dj_5 08-17-2008 06:37 PM

[quote=wheelburns;3456304]it depends what exactly is wrong? did u change the adjustment on your lever?[/quote]

No havent adjusted anything. What im not sure about is why it just suddenly stopped working. I havent really used the clutch much mostly practicing stoppies. But I will just say its me and that I was ridding the clutch a lot does it sound right to go out so fast. Worked perfect one minute and the next wouldnt hardly pull itself up a small hill.

wheelburns 08-17-2008 06:41 PM

adjust it at the lever and give it a go

old man roger 08-17-2008 07:30 PM

i have been stunting the same clutch for over 22 thousand miles ...

if your clutch wasn't adjusted properly it can get cooked pretty quick , always make sure there is a little play in the cable so you know the clutch is fully engaged and make sure your lever isn't hanging up..

stunt954s 08-17-2008 07:34 PM

dude its a gsxr thing... my buddy bought a brand new show room bike and b4 he even got near 2,000 miles the clutch fried... he doesnt stunt or anything like that, he did suck at riding in general at the time but he was no way near riden the clutch as bad as to fry it within 2,000 miles... his cable had the right slack and shit... im convinced some suzukis need a recall hahaha... by a honda, those bitches can take a beating.. goodluck

Yamaha412 08-17-2008 08:19 PM

[quote=old man roger;3456428]i have been stunting the same clutch for over 22 thousand miles ...

if your clutch wasn't adjusted properly it can get cooked pretty quick , always make sure there is a little play in the cable so you know the clutch is fully engaged and make sure your lever isn't hanging up..[/quote]

+1
07 R6 12k orig miles been been working that clutch for everyone of those! theres a difference though... did you fry the clutch or wear out ur plates.....

Towlieee 08-17-2008 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=old man roger;3456428]i have been stunting the same clutch for over 22 thousand miles ...[/QUOTE]

I have about 32k miles on my f4i's stock clutch, at around 16k miles I was learning rolling burnouts, and cooked my clutch.. It slipped real bad for about a week, then started grabbing again.

Now at 32k, still grabbing fine!

Make sure you don't slip the clutch too much, and don't rev it too high while engaging the clutch... I run my bike VERY hard, and my clutch has still lasted to 32k.. So anytime I hear about a bike burning its clutch out in less then 20k, its gotta be user error :hello

dj_5 08-21-2008 02:23 PM

[quote=Towlieee;3456496]1

I have about 32k miles on my f4i's stock clutch, at around 16k miles I was learning rolling burnouts, and cooked my clutch.. It slipped real bad for about a week, then started grabbing again.

Now at 32k, still grabbing fine!

Make sure you don't slip the clutch too much, and don't rev it too high while engaging the clutch... I run my bike VERY hard, and my clutch has still lasted to 32k.. So anytime I hear about a bike burning its clutch out in less then 20k, its gotta be user error :hello[/quote]

Ya thats what mine is doing it just slips terribly bad.. But the adjustment was fine I agree with the guy who says some GSXR's just have recalls. I used to work at a bike shop and seen quite a few of them come back with shit wrong with them after just a few thousand miles. Ive been pretty discouraged with this bike. Its been my secound GSXR and I by far am a suzuki guy but I think this bike is a lemon. It started smoking pretty bad a while back and had the shop check it out and they told me they didnt think there was anything really wrong with it that it was prolly just how the bike was broken in, I am the secound owner so I dont really know how it was. but now about 2 months later my clutch is slippin. I know that a lot of ppl say its prolly me but I have been riding bikes and stuff for over 10yrs and I know that even if it was me abusing the clutch the bike has only been on a lot stuntin 4-5 times max and I never do clutch up wheelies or anyting like that on the streets just never been a fan of that so with so little actual bashing on the clutch it should have lasted longer than that even if I was abusing it.

f4ibry 08-21-2008 03:20 PM

take it apart see wuts up wit that bitch, maybe u just need adjustment at the case it self?

have u tried all these simple fixes first? are the plates worn, are the steels blue? is ur oil durty as fuck?

help urself by finding the answers to these questions first

Wheeliest 08-21-2008 03:23 PM

yeah gsxr clutchs go toast ez.

dj_5 08-30-2008 05:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
K i pulled it apart today and looked at the plates. It looks pretty colored I think my best bet will be to replace them. Tell me what ya'll think.

[ATTACH]290008[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]290009[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]290010[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]290011[/ATTACH]

old man roger 08-30-2008 05:38 PM

the thickness of the fibers and the straightness of the steels is what matters and from the pics it is hard to tell...

dj_5 08-30-2008 05:42 PM

ya I know, I tried to take to get a pic of them but you couldnt tell.