Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   Cracked bolt hole on motor!?!?!? (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/217741-cracked-bolt-hole-motor.html)

BayF4i 04-03-2008 08:36 PM

Cracked bolt hole on motor!?!?!?

1 Attachment(s)
did I totally just fuck myself? I cracked my started cover today, and when I took it off.. I realized that I broke off the hole for one of the screws!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead so now the mounting surface for the starter cover has a brake in it.. do I have to fuckin replace my block just for this!?!?!? Bad pic but let me know please!!

50Outlaw 04-03-2008 08:42 PM

Re: Cracked bolt hole on motor!?!?!?

jb weld or quicksteel bro :2cents

BayF4i 04-03-2008 09:20 PM

[quote=50Outlaw;3231281]jb weld or quicksteel bro :2cents[/quote]

u think i will be able to recreate the surface/bolt hole:shruggs

juzslidin 04-03-2008 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=BayF4i;3231320]u think i will be able to recreate the surface/bolt hole:shruggs[/QUOTE]

it looks like you chipped it too , but it can be fixed. use jb weld to seel the chipped part , and after use more to make a bolt boss. when its all dry drill and tap it and it should be all good . just keep the surfaces u are working with clean and you shouldnt have any issues

54RR 04-04-2008 01:39 AM

been there, jb weld would do but u can have it welded for a longer stronger result, but u would have remove the engine, what the welder will do if i correctly understood is he would fill it with weldind a reshape it to it s exact previous shape, u can go any way u want. good luck, plz let me know what happens if the epoxy job hlds up with u i m going to do it again cause i have been inpassient with it that why i think it didn t work for me.

BayF4i 04-04-2008 02:09 AM

[quote=54RR;3231786]been there, jb weld would do but u can have it welded for a longer stronger result, but u would have remove the engine, what the welder will do if i correctly understood is he would fill it with weldind a reshape it to it s exact previous shape, u can go any way u want. good luck, plz let me know what happens if the epoxy job hlds up with u i m going to do it again cause i have been inpassient with it that why i think it didn t work for me.[/quote]

so JB weld it is!!! haha... thank you guys sooo much.. I started freakin out when I saw that. I've never used jb before so it should be interesting. So why do they have to pull the whole motor out for that? I would love to do that, but fuck all that. Can I file JB weld? Or, how do I make it perfectly flush with the rest of the mounting surface on the block for the cover. :shruggs Sorry for all the questions.. but I'm lost when it comes to rebuilding this shit.

50Outlaw 04-04-2008 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=54RR;3231786]been there, jb weld would do but u can have it welded for a longer stronger result, but u would have remove the engine, what the welder will do if i correctly understood is he would fill it with weldind a reshape it to it s exact previous shape, u can go any way u want. good luck, plz let me know what happens if the epoxy job hlds up with u i m going to do it again cause i have been inpassient with it that why i think it didn t work for me.[/QUOTE]

ummmmm thats cast bro... i seriously doubt that can be welded

50Outlaw 04-04-2008 03:09 AM

you can file, sand, drill, tap what ever you want to into it once its set

s0nofg0d 04-04-2008 03:43 AM

i had a crack like that and i had better luck with yamabond

54RR 04-04-2008 05:08 AM

[quote=50Outlaw;3232002]ummmmm thats cast bro... i seriously doubt that can be welded[/quote]
Its not welding i dont want to say stuf i dont know about but if i understood correctly he s going to do the same thing we do with the epoxy but with aluminum welding , he had to take the engine off becausehe wanted to move it in different angles i nearly begged him to do it engine mounted he wouldnt, i felt it was too much of a hastle because he didn t want to remove it himself, and i read that JB weld would do, we dont have it here so i bought alteco epoxy wich i think is the same, still i have a little leak, but i can ride, i m going to try to do it again, i even saw a crancase on ebay and asked arround if i could drop the lower part and replace it but they told it was risky and shit could happen, so i m reaaly waiting to see what happens to the f4. i want to put my fairing back. Good luck.

50Outlaw 04-04-2008 05:16 AM

oh ok... i believe thats called brazing...

54RR 04-04-2008 05:18 AM

By the way if u never used jb weld, from past experience : in order JB to stick u have to have a COMPLETLY oil free dry surface and u have to sand the area where u apply it, dont have to remove to engine for the epoxy, only for "welding", if u want i can ask arround more or even show the pic to an aluminum welder he ll explain the process better than me. Later.

old man roger 04-04-2008 06:25 AM

if you still have the part that broke off jb weld it back where it was and use the regular jb weld not the jb quick it will be stronger then the jb quick..

once it is totally cured don't crank that bolt down just us some thread lock and just snug it down lightly...

also some of that spray on gasket stuff that comes in the copper can on the gasket will keep it from leaking

BayF4i 04-04-2008 12:41 PM

God some of you guys are fuckin mad scientist!! haha well, I am definitely going to try to use the JB weld today.. I unfortunately don't have the piece that broke off.. so I have to rebuild from scratch.

s0nofg0d.. what is Yamabond..

Well, i will be workin on it today.. so i will take a better picture and put it on here, but once I put the JB weld on, I can't spend to much more time on in cause I got a '67 Chevy that's waitin to have a motor dumped in it! So I'll let you guys know this afternoon how it goes! Thanks so much for all the advice! :cheers

BayF4i 04-04-2008 04:14 PM

My day keeps getting worse!!! I am doing the JB weld.. and then I saw that my starter fly wheele is fuckin dented too!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead The starter seems like it will still spin, but you never know at high revolution! I know there are some salvage bike yard/websites... what are they, and should I just replace it before I slap it together, or should I see if it will even effect it? It's not hella dented in.. but it has a very slight ripple in the flywheel.. Well... no one said this hobby would be cheap! Tyger Shark here I come! :LOL

kj 04-04-2008 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=BayF4i;3231274]did I totally just fuck myself? I cracked my [B][SIZE="3"]started[/SIZE][/B] cover today, and when I took it off.. I realized that I broke off the hole for one of the screws!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead so now the mounting surface for the [B][SIZE="3"]starter[/SIZE][/B] cover has a brake in it.. do I have to fuckin replace my block just for this!?!?!? Bad pic but let me know please!![/QUOTE]

Ok... are you talking about your STATOR cover? If so.... last I read someone w/ a Tyger Shark went through 3 covers b4 he had to replace the cage.... :2cents

*on edit, it was 3 covers in 6mths.....

BayF4i 04-04-2008 05:41 PM

haha nice, didn't even see the spelling! But yeah, I read that same thread. I'm more concerned about rebuilding that little piece of the block

BayF4i 04-04-2008 06:14 PM

[quote=54RR;3232049]By the way if u never used jb weld, from past experience : in order JB to stick u have to have a COMPLETLY oil free dry surface and u have to sand the area where u apply it, dont have to remove to engine for the epoxy, only for "welding", if u want i can ask arround more or even show the pic to an aluminum welder he ll explain the process better than me. Later.[/quote]

I've tried twice now.. the JB weld keeps just running down off the break i'm tring to repair.. so do I have the lay the bike on the side? Fuck gravity! :banghead I tried even letting the jb sit for about 10 min before I put it on so it would get a little thick... didn't work.:shruggs

old man roger 04-04-2008 09:19 PM

use masking tape and make a mold then when it dries sand away the masking tape

BayF4i 04-04-2008 09:40 PM

[quote=old man roger;3232908]use masking tape and make a mold then when it dries sand away the masking tape[/quote]

yeah, I kinda thought that might work so I tried that.. I'll have to see later if it worked or not.. Thanks man.. We'll see how my crafting skills are later! haha