Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunting Help and Advice (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice)
-   -   636 APE cam chain tensioner. (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/211376-636-ape-cam-chain.html)

atl freestyle 01-16-2008 11:02 AM

636 APE cam chain tensioner.

its one of the last things i have to install in my 03-04 636. can anyone give me a step by step on how to install this thing. also it didnt come with any gasket or oring. will i need to order that?

atl freestyle 01-22-2008 01:44 PM

Re: 636 APE cam chain tensioner.

nobody:shruggs

JohnnyP 01-22-2008 01:51 PM

You wont need a new gasket, you just reuse the rubber O-ring thats on the stock tensioner...

About the adjustment there are a few differnt ways people do them but this is how I do mine...

I just remove the stock one and install the new one, then I turn it in by hand till I feel it touch the cam chain guide and just snug it with my fingers...Then I run the bike and turn it in by hand untill its snug again and the rattle goes away..Then I lock it in place with the nut....Finger tight no more, I only use a wrench to lock it in place the adjustment is just finger tight:2cents You can always do it more if it gets noisy again but if you do it too much rigght off the bat you can ruin your cam chain..

Suicidl 01-22-2008 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=JohnnyP;3121439]You wont need a new gasket, you just reuse the rubber O-ring thats on the stock tensioner...

About the adjustment there are a few differnt ways people do them but this is how I do mine...

I just remove the stock one and install the new one, then I turn it in by hand till I feel it touch the cam chain guide and just snug it with my fingers...Then I run the bike and turn it in by hand untill its snug again and the rattle goes away..Then I lock it in place with the nut....Finger tight no more, I only use a wrench to lock it in place the adjustment is just finger tight:2cents You can always do it more if it gets noisy again but if you do it too much rigght off the bat you can ruin your cam chain..[/QUOTE]

just like that but i do put a extra 1/4 turn on mine :shruggs

Towlieee 01-22-2008 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=suicidl;3121452]just like that but i do put a extra 1/4 turn on mine :shruggs[/QUOTE]

I dunno about 636

but on f4i your supposed to have 1/4 - 3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..

JohnnyP 01-22-2008 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Towlieee;3121463]I dunno about 636

but on f4i your supposed to have 1/4 - 3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..[/QUOTE]

Thats in the top of the chain between the 2 cams, not between the tensioner and the chain guide....And unless your willing to remove the valve cover to measure that 1/4-3/8" is useless...

JohnnyP 01-22-2008 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=suicidl;3121452]just like that but i do put a extra 1/4 turn on mine :shruggs[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats about the same as me, finger tight is about a 1/4 turn after it starts getting tight:cheers

Im just trying to stress the fact that its better to have it run a little loose for a while and re-tighten it, rather then run it too tight and streach the cam chain..:2cents

Suicidl 01-22-2008 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=JohnnyP;3121516]Yeah thats about the same as me, finger tight is about a 1/4 turn after it starts getting tight:cheers

Im just trying to stress the fact that its better to have it run a little loose for a while and re-tighten it, rather then run it too tight and streach the cam chain..:2cents[/QUOTE]

gotcha :cheers

JohnnyP 01-22-2008 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=suicidl;3121528]gotcha :cheers[/QUOTE]

Are you really not feeling the "6 shitty 6" yet? I hope it grows on you

Suicidl 01-22-2008 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=JohnnyP;3121535]Are you really not feeling the "6 shitty 6" yet? I hope it grows on you[/QUOTE]

still missing my f4i for now. i just had it for so long it was like a growth or something :LOL

atl freestyle 01-22-2008 02:55 PM

[quote=JohnnyP;3121439]You wont need a new gasket, you just reuse the rubber O-ring thats on the stock tensioner...

I just remove the stock one and install the new one, then I turn it in by hand till I feel it touch the cam chain guide and just snug it with my fingers...Then I run the bike and turn it in by hand untill its snug again and the rattle goes away..Then I lock it in place with the nut....Finger tight no more, I only use a wrench to lock it in place the adjustment is just finger tight:2cents You can always do it more if it gets noisy again but if you do it too much rigght off the bat you can ruin your cam chain..[/quote]
i figured this was similar to the f4i but just wasnt sure.
i will do it this way and if its still making noise with finger tight i will put a 1/4 turn on it like william said
thanks johnny p