Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Super Moto/Motards... (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/354-super-moto-motards)
-   -   i have a question (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/354-super-moto-motards/110270-i-have-question.html)

Oktz Kerry 01-25-2005 12:55 AM

i have a question

this may be dum but what make a motard a motard is it just putting street tires on a dirtbike or is there more to it ??? :shruggs

S won 01-25-2005 03:36 AM

Re: i have a question

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased an '04 KTM 625 SMC 'Supermoto' and all I can say is, it's no dirtbike. Sure it resembles a dirtbike but it handles better than any streetbike ever could. The suspension settings are firmer than dirtbike settings. Basically, it has better suspension equipment. In a series of tight turns nothing will touch it. For stunting they are awesome. The power to weight ratio is incredible.
Supermotard or Supermoto here in the States, is a combination of 80% roadracing (on asphalt) and 20% motocross (dirt). They do it all dirt track style, backing it in and sliding through the turns. In some of the AMA races in 2004 they threw in what they called the urban cross section, jumps on metal ramps. Very cool racing. The Supermoto streetbikes just mirror the racing bikes. Of course the streetbikes are heavier and don't produce the horsepower of the racing bikes. I feel they are the bikes of the future. Sportbikes have gone about as far as they can. You can't use that level of performance on the street. The Supermoto bikes are cheaper and the insurance is a lot cheaper. I pay $150 a year! Half what I pay on my sportbike.
Try one you won't go back!

Oktz Kerry 01-25-2005 07:27 PM

yea i ust to race dirt now i stunt street and i was looking to get into a lil bit of racing and wanted to give this a shoot so i was wondering how much trouble it would be to convert one

S won 01-25-2005 11:00 PM

My bike is a factory Supermoto. Converting is much more expensive. I only paid $4700 for my bike. Converting a dirtbike would be $5000 or more on top of the purchase of the bike itself. I just depends on what you want.
S won

Oktz Kerry 01-26-2005 02:50 AM

kool does ktm only one make them of honda and others make in them to ??? ive neva seen them around the shops down here

S won 01-26-2005 05:03 AM

Well, I should probably explain that there are 2 types of Supermoto bike. Street legal bikes and racebikes. KTM makes a couple models of racebikes called SMRs in 450 and 525cc. The KTM LC4 bikes like mine are street legal from the factory. Suzuki makes a street legal bike called the DRZ-400. Husqvarna and Husaberg make Supermoto bikes also. In the future we will probably see more of the street versions, as manufacturers race to catchup with the craze.
Honda makes one, new this year that is only for the European market. I believe it's a 600 or a 650. The new Honda CRF450X dirtbike would be a great bike to convert into Supermoto race or streetbike. Depending on where you live some dirtbikes can be made street legal. Where I live it's quite easy to do.

They really are great fun!
S won

Oktz Kerry 01-26-2005 08:47 PM

oook kool but thanks for your help