Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunt Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion)
-   -   A Story From D-mann (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/375-story-d-mann.html)

shugga 10-03-2002 02:44 PM

A Story From D-mann

Charlie was a husband, father of two kids and an avid motorcyclist enthusiast: an accomplished rider with a CBR Honda 900 and a burning desire to see and meet his idols, the country's top Stunt Riders performing at the Daytona Bike Week 2002. Unfortunately, the first rider he met - An old partner of mine & one of the top Stunt Riders in the country - completely snubbed Charlie. He wouldn't talk to Charlie, wouldn't pose for a picture or sign an autograph. He couldn't be bothered to give even a minute of his time to a devoted fan. Charlie walked away bitterly disappointed, his wife angry.
Not all the riders were like the superstar. Charlie persevered and met the East Coast Extreme Team who welcomed him, encouraged his interest and enthusiasm, and even had Charlie film their tricks during a short run. His excitement rekindled, Charlie went on to meet me and my friends the next day. We welcomed him as a fellow enthusiast, we all posed for pictures, and I let Charlie know where he would find us over the next several days.
It was not to be. On Thursday, March 7th, Charlie missed his turn, hit a guard rail head-on and was killed, the first fatality of Daytona Bike Week 2002. I happened to be first on the scene, just minutes after the accident. As a trained paramedic, I and the Emergency Team struggled for two hours to revive Charlie. It wasn't until days later, when Charlie's wife called, that I realized the victim was the same Charlie we had befriended just the day before his death.
I've told you this story because it brings home a lesson important to all of us as we pursue our careers as professional Stunt Riders: it's our fans who make this new and exciting sport possible. No one will sponsor us, pay us, or provide us with free equipment if the stands are empty. It's our fans who pay the admission fees and buy products from our sponsors. It's our fans who cheer us on, driving us to excel with new tricks and new adventures. It's our fans who buy our videos and put money in our pockets. Never forget: without our fans we're just a bunch of crazy guys on "Rockets" with no purpose. We need our fans - we depend on them and the money they spend to support us in our careers. Never turn your back on them, never turn them away!
They look up to us as the epitome of the sport they enjoy so much, but that adulation can produce some very inflated egos. And who are we really? Some very lucky guys who get to play for pay. We should feel honored that a simple signature or photograph could make someone so happy, so excited. It's awesome that just a moment of our time and a smile of greeting can make someone's day an incredible success. In return, we have a fan for life who will always support us and our sponsors - and his friends will do the same!
Consider it a privilege for each and every one of us to be asked to sign our names, or to smile an "Of course" when asked, "Could I get a picture with you?". These are the folks who have made us who we are and have given us the lifestyle we so enjoy. We owe them our thanks, we owe them our careers, we owe them.....big time

Ando 04-03-2006 09:33 PM

Re: A Story From D-mann

Im bumping this old ass thread coz:

1# im need something to do.

2#Its a ****ing ace post.

3# I think it is still very relevent to the happenings of the sport today.

ps, nice post shugga:cheers

Brad C. 04-03-2006 09:35 PM

wow excelent read

Ando 04-03-2006 09:44 PM

^yea I thought it was

banned101 04-03-2006 09:46 PM

THAT IS THE BEST POST iVE EVR READ ON STUNTLIFE!

YOUR THE MAN D-MAN!!

Personaly Ive been blown off by a stunter that I wont mention his name but hes been around along time,but He couldnt even return a fricken email.

Danger_Dave 04-03-2006 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=banned101]THAT IS THE BEST POST iVE EVR READ ON STUNTLIFE!

YOUR THE MAN D-MAN!!

Personaly Ive been blown off by a stunter that I wont mention his name but hes been around along time,but He couldnt even return a fricken email.[/QUOTE]

same here, but i'm sure he's a busy guy.
if i was famous and got 500 emails per day i would just delete them all.
but i would definitely shake someones hand and say whatsup at an event.

silverstunterR6 04-04-2006 01:08 AM

deserves a bump

Sparks! 04-04-2006 01:55 AM

Can't believe no one replied to it when it was first posted in 2002..!

Good post.

Insane J 04-04-2006 09:13 AM

great point there ! Good to for everyone to realise... RIP Charlie...

MKBo5 04-04-2006 05:21 PM

r.i.p charlie
just think we were all fans @ 1 point before we tried stuntin.
just remember its the fans that make us n they can break us just as quick.

Ando 04-04-2006 10:20 PM

^^true dat, ill drink to that :cheers

Johnny 04-06-2006 10:45 PM

that charlie was my friend who went down to bikeweek with me and never made it back home still thinkin bout him that was ruff shiiits streets are deadly got hit buy a car one year ago by red light runner glad im still alive!
R.I.P. miss you charlie

and thanks D-Mann

DerekLee 04-06-2006 11:46 PM

How did you find this thread, from 2002? lol

True words though...

Ando 04-06-2006 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=DerekLee]How did you find this thread, from 2002? lol

True words though...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ando]Im bumping this old ass thread coz:
1# im in need of something to do.[/QUOTE]

:cheers

Reeff 04-08-2006 01:15 PM

Thats too bad that people had ta shrugg him off cause they thought that they were hott sh!t.Like hommie said we were all that way when we started out and cause ya get good you think that you too coo ta say what up or take a picture.Thats f ucked up and I feel bad for the cat that lost his life and the people that have ta act like there too good for others.Hope hommies family is doing good and hope that people can change there way'z:2cents