Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   General Sportbike Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/164-general-sportbike-discussion)
-   -   charging system 93 cbr 900rr (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/164-general-sportbike-discussion/90466-charging-system-93-cbr.html)

DoubleRR 09-13-2004 01:00 AM

charging system 93 cbr 900rr

This bike has really pissed me off. I have a brand new battery, brand new rectifier and brand new stator. I have tried a lot of things. I have had this bike about 2 summers now. It first started last year when I was at the Kappa Beach Party. You can only go through traffic so fast. The first night the bike went dead. Everyone was telling me that the bike overheated. Until this day my temperature gauge has never been past halfway. I let the bike sit for about half hour then got a push start. In the morning I went and bought another battery, had it charged and rode on. Later on that night it died again. A mechanic told me later that the bike just probably overheated. This summer the same thing happens again. For some reason this doesn't happen when I'm riding around town. This time I checked the bike out myself and I discovered the rectifier connector had burned and melted so of course I ordered another and also ordered a new stator while I was at it. I replaced both and found out again that this still did not correct the problem. A friend of mine came by to help me look it over and we found that the stator wires had melted together so we cut the melted wire which was only about 3 inches long and spliced the wires. I rode sat and then sun around town and there was no problem. When I got home I decided to let the bike idle on with the high beams on to make sure. It ran for about 10 or 15 minutes then it died. The battery was dead. What else could it be?

xraycatj 09-13-2004 02:20 AM

Re: charging system 93 cbr 900rr

sounds like too many amps running through the wires...

i'm not an electrician though........

JONESER 09-13-2004 04:44 PM

Mine did that too.
Trace ALL your wires to make sure there not grounding or shorting out. Check the rectifier harness. When it gets hot, the harness melts inside and the 3 connectors might be touching. I had to take all 3 connectors out and clean up the harness and install some new connectors. I'm not sure if you can order just a harness plug from Honda or not. :shruggs
When you seperated the 3 yellow melted wires, did you solder and heatshrink them? Those wires will ALWAYS get hot as hell and you need to heatshrink them to keep them from melting back together. Black electrical tape will not do it. :nono
After I replaced the rectifier, stator, battery and fixed all the wiring, I haven't had any charging problems with it in over a year.
Another problem that I did have that was causing me to drain the battery and made me think it was the charging was when the fuel pump was going out. When the pump would get hot, the bike would cut out and I would try to start it and the battery would go dead after just a few tries. After the pump would cool off or I banged on it, I was able to jump the battery.
If you still have the fuel pump on the bike, I would suggest you to get rid of it. Just a extra headache that you don't need. I just have the fuel lines running from the tank to the carbs with a glass see through filter in between. After I did that, I haven't had ANY problems with the bike and it runs like a fukin' champ!

Good luck! Try some of this shit and let me know what it was or if you need any more help, hit me up.

LATERS

DoubleRR 09-14-2004 12:39 PM

I did replace the rectifier because it was fried. Yes I did solder the wires on the rectifier and applied heatshrink. I did not do the same on the alternator, Instead I spliced them with gold connectors.
I do need to ask about the fuel pump. I just replaced this with a salvage yard part. I had a few friends come by with the same bike to compare and I noticed that none of them had a fuel pump. I always wondered about this. What else needs to be disconnected besides the fuel pump? Does it really use that much battery?

JONESER 09-14-2004 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=DoubleRR]I did replace the rectifier because it was fried. Yes I did solder the wires on the rectifier and applied heatshrink. I did not do the same on the alternator, Instead I spliced them with gold connectors.
I do need to ask about the fuel pump. I just replaced this with a salvage yard part. I had a few friends come by with the same bike to compare and I noticed that none of them had a fuel pump. I always wondered about this. What else needs to be disconnected besides the fuel pump? Does it really use that much battery?[/QUOTE]
Not sure how much of the battery it actually uses, but I thought, If I don't need it, take it off!
Does the bike cut out while riding or is it just not starting after you shut it off?

DoubleRR 09-14-2004 04:22 PM

It shuts off while riding! Normally it would shut off at very low rpms under 3000, wait half hour and push start. Recently before I spliced the wires correctly it shut off on the highway twice at around 70 or 80mph.

JONESER 09-14-2004 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=DoubleRR]It shuts off while riding! Normally it would shut off at very low rpms under 3000, wait half hour and push start. Recently before I spliced the wires correctly it shut off on the highway twice at around 70 or 80mph.[/QUOTE]
Mine would shut off at any speed and in any gear! Get rid of the fuel pump and see what happens. Sounds to me like the pump is getting hot and shutting off and for some reason, it's killing the battery. Exactly what mine did. Take the battery out and charge it real good while your getting rid of that pump.
Hopefully it'll work out!

LATERS

bill parr 09-14-2004 04:51 PM

i have a 95 900rr(94 with a 95 motor) i have replaced all the wireing, rectifier, stator, battery, it was fine for a week and now its not charging again, its been a prob. since i got the bike....if you figure it out...post up....

JONESER 09-16-2004 04:38 PM

Any luck??

bill parr 09-16-2004 05:57 PM

not from me, not yet, been through every single wire and nothing, everything reads out right on the ohm/volt meter too....god damn 900 double junks...i swear im parting this bitch and getting my 600 back... :banghead

only1adrian 09-17-2004 05:14 PM

Wow i buddy going through the same thing right now on his 98 cbr 600. we replaced the rectifier an when we started the bike the rectifier got hot as hell so we shut it down and are still investigating. is it common for the rectifier to get super hot.

DoubleRR 09-17-2004 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=only1adrian]Wow i buddy going through the same thing right now on his 98 cbr 600. we replaced the rectifier an when we started the bike the rectifier got hot as hell so we shut it down and are still investigating. is it common for the rectifier to get super hot.[/QUOTE]

It can get so hot that the wires melt together and the connector melts. This can happen often and you can pay up to 180.00 a pop to replace the rectifier. My bike is a 93 and yours is a 98. It's a damn shame that honda took so long to figure it out. I wonder what year did they finally redo everything

JONESER 09-17-2004 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=only1adrian]Wow i buddy going through the same thing right now on his 98 cbr 600. we replaced the rectifier an when we started the bike the rectifier got hot as hell so we shut it down and are still investigating. is it common for the rectifier to get super hot.[/QUOTE]
Yes they get HOT and it is a VERY common problem on Honda's.

If any of you get a new one, buy an aftermarket one with the heatsinks built into it.

bill parr 09-18-2004 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=JONESER]Yes they get HOT and it is a VERY common problem on Honda's.

If any of you get a new one, buy an aftermarket one with the heatsinks built into it.[/QUOTE]
i bought an after market one, the stock one lasted 2 weeks, the after market one lasted a month......what causes them to go and what can we do to fix the problem....

JONESER 09-18-2004 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=bill parr]i bought an after market one, the stock one lasted 2 weeks, the after market one lasted a month......what causes them to go and what can we do to fix the problem....[/QUOTE]
WOW!
If your goin' through 'em like that, you have to have a wire shorting them out some how. That shit ain't right!!!
The one I have on here now has lasted over a year...so far...

bill parr 09-18-2004 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=JONESER]WOW!
If your goin' through 'em like that, you have to have a wire shorting them out some how. That shit ain't right!!!
The one I have on here now has lasted over a year...so far...[/QUOTE]
see heres the thing, i have NO wiring except for whats needed to run it, been through all the remaining wires, stator wires, sensor wires, rectifier wires and replaced them all. except for the fuel pump and its wires wich i heard if the fuel pump is going it will over work and drain the system . i have one coming, so guess ill see.

Derek Mcdougal 09-19-2017 11:08 PM

I know this is old but u need to mount the rectifier/regulator in a spot it gets constant air flow if its consealed in the fairings it will get no air and over heat i have had this issue on suzuki also had to create a opening in fairing and modified it to get massive air flow they will get to hot to touch so if you dont get that rectifier/regulator out in the open air to where that heat sink can do the job it was meant to do it will over heat and when that happens it also potentially ruins your stator also but most older bikes had seperate regulators and regtifiers they were seperate units if thats the case and u replace rectifier and have faulty regulator it will cause damage to the battery the regulator controls the charging limits turning excesive power to heat thats how it stops from over charging all the rectifier does is convert ac current to dc current once it comes out of stator its a alternating current the rectifier converts it to a direct current then regulator controls the amount of volts to your battery by like i said turning excessive power to heat to prevent overcharging so make sure what type of rectifier/regulator your bike has either a all in one reg/rec or two seperate units and also a faulty main fuse once heated up can cause poorly running bike and shut of at random times and check all grounds also

MikeM 09-29-2017 08:04 AM

lol..13 years