Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   General Sportbike Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/164-general-sportbike-discussion)
-   -   FRAME/TITLE/VIN # question... (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/164-general-sportbike-discussion/56400-frame-title-vin-question.html)

Black Rob 01-26-2004 01:28 AM

FRAME/TITLE/VIN # question...

Ok, heres the deal. I bought a "salvaged" bike (with no title) off a guy figuring I could rebuild it with a titled salvaged frame cheap. Well as it turns out, this is an insurance job bike. To put it on the road is near impossible. My state, Massachusetts requires a title and VIN for everything. If I rebuild a "salvaged" bike, I need reciepts and VIN #'s of the the bikes the parts came off of. That goes for plastics to motor. Am i screwed, or has anyone been able to beat the system. I was thinking:

1. Buy just a clean title off someone who's stunting only and re-stamp my bike with their vin's? Now it's technically "their old bike". They can keep "just stunting" and I get to register mine.

2. Buy a clean frame/title and do the complete swap. (Lots of $$$)

3. Ditch the bike, sell as a stunt/track/parts bike only.

**Oh yeah, it's a 2003 Yamaha R6. Minor damage. Please let me know how I can get around this crap. Thanks...

Spark~R.O.C. 01-26-2004 01:44 AM

Re: FRAME/TITLE/VIN # question...

keep your mouth shut and part it out.

covertwar 01-26-2004 01:58 AM

Two cheap options.

1. Part it out

2. Put in in a pickup truck or trailer and go stunt it off the road

Swapping frames would run you close to $2000 for just an '03 frame............if you can find one. And that's assuming all the parts on your bike are in great condition to swap over to the new frame.

DLISH 01-26-2004 02:13 AM

yamahas are cheap...ebay, buy a cln titled frame

DLISH 01-26-2004 02:17 AM

or find a friend in another state that isnt as strict to rebuild it, title in that state,if there are #'s on the frame, find someone to run them, if not get a BOS and start getting reciepts

HOLDINGITBIG 01-26-2004 02:17 AM

yeah ... if you wanna get it on the road you gotta get either a clean frame, or at leat get some clean numbers and stamp them into the frame ....

and then you can enjoy your cheesecake

Shaggy 01-26-2004 11:44 AM

I know with collector car there is a scam going on and services to help you out.

For example, my buddy buys, fixes and re-sells vintage Corvettes. If he finds a nice one with a salvage title, he uses different "Title Services". What they do is they title the car in a state that doesn't have salvage titles (there are a few of them out there) so they get a normal title.....then re-titles it back to him in Illinois. Since he is re-titling the car with a normal title it get it's new title without being salvage, thus making the car worth a butt load more. It should work with bikes too. Look in the auto trader or online for "Title Services" and talk to them, it may cost a couple hundo but you should be legal afterwards. They provide a legal way of doing something totally illegal,

Try a place like this:
[url]http://www.titlesunlimitedinc.com/[/url]

It is illegal and some companies may not do it, just talk to them though and tell them what you want to do.

Black Rob 01-26-2004 11:48 AM

wow, thanks man... :cheers

POS 01-27-2004 10:07 AM

Yo do you still got this bike? Hmm my buddy got an 03 "salvage" R6 last night...Wonder if it's the same bike? Hit me up on aim thug

covertwar 01-27-2004 02:15 PM

Not illegal at all, if you transfer the title to them and they have a lega residence in that state, and then they "sell" it back to you, no problem at all!

TEACH C6 01-27-2004 04:26 PM

cleaning a title is possible, but if you ever put insurance on it, it WILL come back as salvaged-i just had this happen to me on a bike that someone stole from me. i bought it 'clean' title (on stuntlife too), registered it (came back clean title), then had it stolen and when my ins. co ran the history, they found out it was salvaged and i only got 70% of the book value on it.

as far as restamping your frame...that is a nono, it is illegal and MA state pd is onto the game...there are tons of idiots on this board riding around with bad numbers, no numbers, and stamped numbers--go for it if you want, but it IS a risk i personally am not willing to take....although yamaha has some funny ways of buying new frames and stuff like that.

as for receipts, the way around that is to:
A: find a small shop you know who will give you receipts for all the parts you need (you WILL need to make the bike just about minty to get it salvaged insepected in MA)

B: call up Argos and see if they can help you

C: fix it up a bit, get it registered and titled in another state, and then get it back.

mass is a biotch to get salvaged inspected, even NH is becoming a pain...friendly, close by states include Vermont....to get a salvage inspect you need to make the bike virtually mint or they wont consider it finished. if you bought the bike with no title, you may have been screwed, you still NEED that title whether it is salvaged or clean...if you dont have it then you may have a stolen bike-if your friend claimed it or sold the title...good luck, be smart.

Teach

Black Rob 01-27-2004 11:42 PM

Teach, I appreciate that. Anyways, it turns out the guy didn't feel like paying for it anymore, so it went "missing". Looks like I have to buy another clean frame and title, or put it in my pickup to beat on it...

covertwar 01-27-2004 11:45 PM

Search eGayMotors, frames pop up on there from time to time, I know for a fact that right now there are two complete sets of bodywork for your bike on eGayMotors as we speak, I'm always browsing the motorcycle part, just check it like once a week and you won't miss anything...

Outkast Rafe 01-28-2004 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Spark~R.O.C.]keep your mouth shut and part it out.[/QUOTE]

haha

here
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2456379113[/url]
get this you will be straight

covertwar 01-28-2004 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=movistargixxer6]haha

here
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2456379113[/url]
get this you will be straight[/QUOTE]
Lucky bastard you better grab that up