Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Help and How-To (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/104-help-how)
-   -   Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/104-help-how/241127-steps-prep-your-bike.html)

stock05 12-31-2008 04:35 AM

Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

i decided to do this since im bored, its winter, and most are using the down time to tighten up their bikes.

here are the basic steps to prepping for paint (depending on what you are doing, there may be some variances). all items mentioned can be purchased from your local paint supply store. [[COLOR=red]RED [/COLOR][COLOR=white]= items you will need][/COLOR]
[LIST=1][*]clean the parts to be painted, remove everything (i.e stickers, tar, dirt, etc) you can use a [COLOR=red]wax and grease remover[/COLOR] to help aid in the removal process.[*]wet sand using [COLOR=red]600-800 grit wet/dry sand paper[/COLOR] (600 if you are going with a solid color, 800 if you are going with a pearl or metallic, i like to use 800 regardless). when sanding, cut your paper in half (hamburger style) and fold it into thirds. try to use a sanding block or if using your hand, keep your fingers together and keep your hand as flat as you can to the part youre sanding. dont sand in circles (this will cause flat spots), use a back and forth motion and stay away from edges, they are very easy to burn through. your goal in wet sanding is just to knock down the orange peel in the clear. it doesnt take much, so be careful not to burn through.[*]once you have the clear flat, use a [COLOR=red]gray 3M scotchbrite[/COLOR] with a [COLOR=red]sanding/cleaning/prep paste[/COLOR] to scuff the area that you could not reach with the sand paper. use firm pressure when scuffing and be sure to keep the part wet and rinse it as soon as you finish scuffing (you may need to use your hand to go over the part to help remove the residue from the paste)[*]now is the point where you no longer want to touch your parts with your bare hands, because the oils/dirt from your hand will get into the fine scratches (from the wetsanding) and cause fisheyes. so with your [COLOR=red]latex/[/COLOR][COLOR=red]nitrile gloves[/COLOR] start setting up your parts the way you are going to spray them (i.e hang them, on a stand, or table). once you have them set-up, begin cleaning them with a [COLOR=red]wax and grease remover[/COLOR]. use two sets of [COLOR=red]paper towels[/COLOR] one with the [COLOR=red]wax and grease remover[/COLOR] on it and the other to wipe it off (do not let it dry on the part or this too will cause fisheyes). use a wax on wax off motion (yes just like karate kid) to apply and remove the[COLOR=red] wax and grease remover[/COLOR].[*]once your parts are set-up and cleaned, its time to "tack" them off. this will require a [COLOR=red]tack rag/cloth[/COLOR]. open your [COLOR=red]tack rag[/COLOR] up and fold it into about a 6" square, then use it to gently glide over your parts to remove the dust and lint that have settled on it (do not apply much pressure as the tacky substance on the tack rag will also cause fisheyes).[*]now you are ready to spray.[/LIST]hope this helps.

bulgarianMike 12-31-2008 04:44 AM

Re: Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

nice ... sticky

stock05 12-31-2008 04:52 AM

Re: Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

[quote=bboy953;3705961]nice ... sticky[/quote]

thanks, but its up to nags or one of the other mods to [B]sticky[/B] this thread.

warguy 12-31-2008 05:17 AM

nice write up.:yeah

DEBO 12-31-2008 10:46 AM

Hope you got some extra paint. Im coming over!

A-BX 12-31-2008 11:07 AM

Good info too bad you didnt write this before I painted my bike :banghead

stock05 12-31-2008 08:43 PM

[quote=A-BX;3706264]Good info too bad you didnt write this before I painted my bike :banghead[/quote]

well, get em next time champ.

Towlieee 12-31-2008 08:46 PM

Figure I'll add something else in

metal tooth brush with some sort of degreser (I use orange blast from walmart) spray it on, tooth brush it, hit it with the garden hose to let the grease run off

Makes quick work, and I know my bike always has grease in all the wrong spots :LOL

stock05 12-31-2008 08:49 PM

[quote=Towlieee;3707220]Figure I'll add something else in

[COLOR=red]metal tooth brush [/COLOR]with some sort of degreser (I use orange blast from walmart) spray it on, tooth brush it, hit it with the garden hose to let the grease run off

Makes quick work, and I know my bike always has grease in all the wrong spots :LOL[/quote]
that will do more bad than good.