Go Back  Stunt Bike Forum > Personal Interest Forums > Open Forum
Reload this Page >

does anyone snow plow or know of someone that does

Old 12-11-2003, 01:42 PM

extremerider44 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think i want to open my own snowblow business within the next year. Do u or anyone u know do it and is there good money involved in it? any help thanks guys nick
Old 12-11-2003, 01:47 PM

BiGBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
I know sum peps that do it and yeah they have told me there is good $ doin it. But think of this {how often does it snow where u live.} I used to run a snow blower here in dm for bout $13.75 a hour. If u got a truck wit a blade im sure u are goin to do just fine. Well one dude i know has one truck goin rite now and is workin on gettin a 2 blade so he can run 2 trucks and make a hell of alot more $.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:03 PM

headsinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya you can make some good cash doing it. Waking up at 3am doesnt sound appealing to me though.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:04 PM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point
its ok long hours and the money falls from the sky! all you do is push it into your pocket!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:26 PM

thanks guys

For all the help be cool nick
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I Love To Post!

WETPAVEMENT is a decent person
If you get the snow fall and are willing to plow 20 hours a day if you get the business. Hell yes there is money to make........ Back in 96 I bought a F-250 PowerStroke to plow with........had it paid off in the first season. One period of time we had so much snow that I made close to 18,000 in 8 days........ its all about how much business you have and what you charge. Being as your in Mass, I wouldnt think you would have any problems........
If you arent going to plow until next year tho........get out this summer and score you some contracts, dont wait until it starts falling.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:55 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
18,000 in 8 days. Holy Fak that sounds too good to be true.

If you plowed 24 hours straight for 8 days you would be making 93.75 an hour dude.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:06 PM
I Love To Post!

dude its all about lot size, how many times you do it, snow fall, what you charge. Snow plowing isnt cheap.........you gatta think you have to charge not only for removal but for maintanance, insurance, fuel, time, mileage........its all how you present your business, your ethics and your work........I've been able to take jobs from people that charge 300 bucks and turn it into a 500 doller job just because of reputation and reliability........

and BTW that 8 day span was worken 20 hours a day, 8 of which I had my uncle plowing for me while I slept and chit. I know it sounds hard to believe, not many people do, but get into it like I did and you'll soon understand.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
if I had the time hell yeah I would do it.....there's not more that people love to see is a their drive already plowed in the morning(or business, which are even more $$) Since I'm a good ole' farm kid, we'd always take our tractor and plow out our neighbors around the block(mind you a country block, 1milex1mile, but less houses )
Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 PM
cal
I Chose to No Longer Post

cal is a decent person
i wish i had some equipment snowplowings badass, id make huge forts in the middle of my road
Old 12-11-2003, 09:26 PM
POS

POS is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey what part of MA you from..I just finished about 68 hours of plowing out of 72 hours..We have the south shore plaza which is a huge acount and a bunch of school's....I have f-650 wit a 10 foot fisher...Your best bet is to get somehing at least 1 ton like a f-350 or 3500 chevy make sure its a diesel..Throw a 8 1/2 foot on it and spend the extra money and pick up a 2 or 3 yard sander..Goto the local highway dept and see what they offer you..One of our guys sub contracts his truck out and get abour 100 and hour for the setup i mentioned above..Best part is they break anything on the truck they fix it all for you..Shoot me a PM if your looking for some places to start
Old 12-11-2003, 09:27 PM

FIZZ is an unknown quantity at this point
We plow for a guy with his own outfit, he pays us $100.00 an hour plus gas for a 7'6" blade, if you have a salter. he pays $150.00 hour with a 7'6" blade plus gas and salt. He charges $20,000.00 for everytime we plow North Riverside Mall and there is never less then 10 trucks there and we plow if there is an inch or more, so if we have to drop our plows 2 times a night, that is $40,000.00 for him minus costs. To give you an idea, he does landscaping in the summer and seal coats driveways and then plows in the winter. He lives in Oak Brook in Hunter Trails, its like Malibu, CA. has a new F350 Lariet every year and a **** load of toys ie. wave runners, a Donzi boat, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, and **** like that. He is I think around 34-35 and has been doing it since he was 25. He started out by doing driveways in his neighborhood at $30.00 a pop. $40.00 for it salted, and $50.00 for the sidewalks, or a flat fee of $400.00 a year. He told me that he could do a driveway, sidewalk and all of it salted in less then 10 minutes, so $50.00 in 10 minutes is some pretty damn good $$$$$$$$$$ If I was going to do it, thats how I would start off, just get a **** truck and make $ for now, then go big.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
All this talk reminds me of the Simpsons episode with Homer as being "Mr. Plow" and Barney as "The Plow King"
Old 12-15-2003, 11:55 AM

thanks for all the help everyone

Thanks everybody it looks like u can make a lot of loot doing snowplowing no i just got to get me a truck start out slow start out with driveways and stuff and then go big thanks guys be cool nick
Old 12-15-2003, 12:09 PM

Turtle will become famous soon enoughTurtle will become famous soon enough
I have honestly heard that plowing is almost not worth as much trouble as it causes. A few of my buddies have been plowing for a long time and they say that you get crooks that wont pay you on there contracts so you are out all the money they owe you. They also have told me that if people slip and fall, or anything to that effect, the person sues the place and then the place comes after you. I mean it is bullshit but thats what happends. I know this might not happend everytime, but it does happend. Just something for you to think about
Old 12-15-2003, 01:14 PM
I Love To Post!

to answer that.............

1) if anyone doesnt pay they NEVER get plowed again or get raped the next season........most people that plow althought in competition for eachothers contracts, will NOT go after accounts that dont pay.......
2) Always have insurance when plowing........solves the sueing issues........
Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM

Turtle will become famous soon enoughTurtle will become famous soon enough
thats true.....but the buddy of mine i was talking to said he was having to hire a lawyer and go to court and all that crap just to resolve it. He said he had to pay his lawyer like 5 or 600 bucks and peeps still didnt pay him.....That blows
Old 12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
POS

POS is an unknown quantity at this point
Like wet said...We are licensed and fully insured. We do large places such as malls and school's...The school's if there was a slip and fall would come back to there maitnance or highway DPW because it is there call weather it is safe or not...The Dpw is reseposible for sanding and salting...With contracts and big jobs such as ours..they really dont **** around just because when it snows like it just did and we got two feet..We are the ones who get the customers in and out of the mall to make them there money...But with small jobs yes..i wont do anything without cash up front