Over heating, Motor Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 AM

Dilts646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Over heating, Motor Noise.

Well I over heated my bike today prob. the 3rd time this summer I am an Idiot. I have to turn my fan on manually and I forgot to turn it on anyway my bike sounds like **** so I stopped to see what was wrong with it and noticed my light was blinking and it was at 249 should I change my oil and would it be a good thing to run a thicker oil now. since I prob. messed my motor up the way it sounds. I need it to last at least a couple more months after than I am getting a 636 :YEAH I have had so many problems with this bike lately.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Dilts646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Over heating, Motor Noise.

After I rev it there is a noise sounds like pistons prob. rod something I checked the oil and ther is def. something in it I thought metal shavings at first but when I touch them it just goes away so I am guessing its air, or antifreeze in it, I don't no **** about bikes.. anyway if I ride it like this is there a good chance of it locking up and me crashing hard? or should i just ride it until it goes? I will prob. be parting this bike out soon and getting a 636 asap.

I have had nothing but problems with this bike every since I have been doing lot stuff...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

R6's require alot of maintenance, dont blame the bike for problems, and since you over heated it. drain the oil.. then drain the oil out of the pan into a diff container, if u see brass colored shavings in the bottom on the pan u drained your oil into.. you have a spun rod bearing, which if it is the motor could sieze any moment. It will only get worse every single time u start it/ride it. and damage to your crank is probably allready done so u need to buy a new motor.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM

phxRRkid will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
R6's require alot of maintenance, dont blame the bike for problems, and since you over heated it. drain the oil.. then drain the oil out of the pan into a diff container, if u see brass colored shavings in the bottom on the pan u drained your oil into.. you have a spun rod bearing, which if it is the motor could sieze any moment. It will only get worse every single time u start it/ride it. and damage to your crank is probably allready done so u need to buy a new motor.
+1. isn't the R6 drain plug magnetic like the gixxers? so he should see brass right away when he pulls the plug?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

nah, yamahas dont even have a oil sight glass, they still go off a dip stick.. so im pretty sure they just use a bolt.