Front end removal help. (steering stem)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM

apfire26 will become famous soon enough
Front end removal help. (steering stem)

First off, please exuse my ignorance when it comes to working on my motorcycle.
That said, I am in the process of tearing down my bike to get it ready for a new frame that I don't even have yet.

It seems like I'll be able to do this with few problems but......the thing I'm hung up on right now is getting the front end off the frame.
What do I need (tool wise) and is there anything i should be aware of when doing this??

Also, any other pointers that may make this whole project go smoother would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh ya, its an 04 636.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Re: Front end removal help. (steering stem)

Think I figured it out. Any tips on pulling the head bearings out?

Someone has got to have some helpfull information.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by apfire26
Think I figured it out. Any tips on pulling the head bearings out?

Someone has got to have some helpfull information.
The top bearing will just fall out. The lower is pressed to the steering stem. If you mean the bearing races there are little indentations in the frame at the front and back that let you get to the back side of the race. I take a socket extention place it on the back side of the race at the indentaions and a hit it with a hammer. Switch from the front to back and work the race out.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by NINER
The top bearing will just fall out. The lower is pressed to the steering stem. If you mean the bearing races there are little indentations in the frame at the front and back that let you get to the back side of the race. I take a socket extention place it on the back side of the race at the indentaions and a hit it with a hammer. Switch from the front to back and work the race out.

If I'm simply swaping it all over to another frame, then will I have to remove the lower bearing from the stem? Or will it all simply pull out when I lift up on the frame?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

If I'm simply swaping it all over to another frame, then will I have to remove the lower bearing from the stem? Or will it all simply pull out when I lift up on the frame?
The easy way to swap a front end by yourself:
Get a milk crate and Put it on the right side of the bike. Lift the bike up on the kickstand grabing the front of the lower part of the subframe. Sneak the milk crate under it s the bike is resting on top of the crate on it's exhaust and the rear tire. Remove the front master. Remove the clipons. Remove the top triple. Remove the 2 jam nuts. The front end will drop free. Remove the upper braring from it's race. (it just lifts out). If the new frame has races installed and they are in good shape just reuse them. The F4i uses ball bearings so it might be worth the trouble to replace them with tapered roller bearings off a 954. (not necessary though, and then you have to swap out all the races and bearings which is a pain in the ***).

It is also worth noting that when swaping frames that the easiset way to do it is to set the engine on the ground and drop the frame on top of it and bolt it on, get the swing arm bolted up, subframe bolted up, THEN put the front end back on.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by NINER
The easy way to swap a front end by yourself:
Get a milk crate and Put it on the right side of the bike. Lift the bike up on the kickstand grabing the front of the lower part of the subframe. Sneak the milk crate under it s the bike is resting on top of the crate on it's exhaust and the rear tire. Remove the front master. Remove the clipons. Remove the top triple. Remove the 2 jam nuts. The front end will drop free. Remove the upper braring from it's race. (it just lifts out). If the new frame has races installed and they are in good shape just reuse them. The F4i uses ball bearings so it might be worth the trouble to replace them with tapered roller bearings off a 954. (not necessary though, and then you have to swap out all the races and bearings which is a pain in the ***).

It is also worth noting that when swaping frames that the easiset way to do it is to set the engine on the ground and drop the frame on top of it and bolt it on, get the swing arm bolted up, subframe bolted up, THEN put the front end back on.
My subframe and rearwheel are already off the bike. Everything but the swing arm, front end, and motor are off.
I have the motor completely unbolted form the frame but it didn't drop out right away so I left it hovering within the frame. (any idea there?)
I figured once I get the motor out then I may be able to lift the frame and have someone slide the front end out.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

My subframe and rearwheel are already off the bike. Everything but the swing arm, front end, and motor are off.
I have the motor completely unbolted form the frame but it didn't drop out right away so I left it hovering within the frame. (any idea there?)
I figured once I get the motor out then I may be able to lift the frame and have someone slide the front end out.
Honestly the easiest way to swap a frame

Stick the WHOLE bike sitting on the headers, up on a milk crate, wood box, cinder blocks, something..

Then you can drop the forks out as 1 big piece (clip-on's, triples, brakes, wheel, fender ALL)

Then pull the swingarm off as ONE big peice, wheel, brake, right rear set with brake pedal, shock..

Then just pull off your gas tank, subframe WITH tail plastics still attached, pull the airbox, take the radiator mounts off, tuck the throttle tube/wires into the middle of the frame above the motor, then just pull the frame off..

Then when you reassemble it, just drop the new frame on the motor, bolt on the rear, bolt on the front, bolt on the top, your done..

Takes me a total of around 4-6 hours to swap a complete bike
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I should have done that. I already took the headers off too. Oh well, its my first time so live and learn.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM

914b16 is a decent person

bumpzz good info