fucked up threads questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
fucked up threads questions

Ok, so I took all the time to drop my motor and have the mount heliarc welded shut, redrilled and tapped, and then I reinstalled it. He drilled and tapped all the way through the mount.

I took a hard hit the other day and guess what, my cage was loose as **** and upon taking off the bolt, I see some debris in the back of the mount. So I go to put the bolt back in and it won't tighten down. It gets close to tightening, and then loosens up. The whole time I'm threading the bolt in, it feels solid as can be, it just won't tighten down. The threads at the start of the mount look good and like I said, the bolt threads in there solid. What exactly is wrong with my threads that causes this?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Seal Clubber is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: fucked up threads questions

get a shorter bolt dude
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jizldasnizl
get a shorter bolt dude
I tried.. no luck man..
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

What is the thread size and pitch? Are you sure you used the correct pitch bolt to match your new threads?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
What is the thread size and pitch? Are you sure you used the correct pitch bolt to match your new threads?
thats what i was thinking...

do you have an fi cage ?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I was starting to think that last night. I told the guy at the shop to drill/tap back to m10x1.25. I noticed last night as I threaded the bolt in, the bolt had a little back and forth play. But I think I'd of noticed when I threaded the bolt in that it was wrong.. it felt fine.

And I just put on a new tygershark cage.

Last edited by inolen; 03-02-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 PM

ct954 is an unknown quantity at this point

should of just used a helicoil. People say they are stronger...I had them on my 954 with a fi cage and it held up great...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ct954
should of just used a helicoil. People say they are stronger...I had them on my 954 with a fi cage and it held up great...
Yea, that's what's coming up next.

I'm pretty positive it was tapped right the first time. I'm guessing it just wasn't as strong as people said it would be. Sure it was strong enough to thread the bolt into if I was just going to cruise around..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:19 PM

ct954 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the weld has any air bubles or was not done right it could of been worse. I used the helicoil and it was stong as hell. There is another post going on right now about this and he used 2 coils in one hole.. Said it worked good.. Those tygershark cages are the ****.. I have one on my 636..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 PM

Yea, I think I'm gonna be helicoiling this weekend.

My bike is my only transportation, hope everything works ok
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 AM

Seal Clubber is an unknown quantity at this point

are you riding tomorrow?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by jizldasnizl
are you riding tomorrow?
Yup! I ended up running a 8mm bolt through with a locknut as a temp fix, my cage is on snug as **** right now. I'm not gonna **** with helicoiling until I buy a new truck. I will be at the spot at 12, I promise
Old 03-03-2007, 04:51 AM

numberTWO is an unknown quantity at this point

I will to...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 PM

ncr250h02 is a decent person

a helicoil will work fine, but the best thing to do is get a drill tap the next size up weather it be metric or stadard from your local machine shop or industrial machine shop and retap it. I did the same thing and that deal worked fine for me.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 PM

ncr250h02 is a decent person

if you really need to know what size ill look around the garage and see if i can find the **** i used and if you cant track it down pm back and if you pay the shiping ill send you the ****.