steering wheelies

Old 05-16-2007, 07:48 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
steering wheelies

this might sound like a stupid question but how do u guys steer staggered wheelies?

i hit bp alot tonight but i keep going towards cars/walls on the side leaving me with no choice but drop em....sometimes if i'm lucky i'll go in a straight line.

so lets say the bike starts going to the right, wat do i do?

p.s. besides lowering tire pressure...i'm stock..42(ish) psi
Old 05-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Ringmaster72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: steering wheelies

Drop you tire closer to 20 psi. Then just get it back to BP and you just put your weight to the side you want to go. I find it is easiest to control when my legs are locked straight. Also, you need to be at BP to really steer them, it is pretty hard to steer below BP.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster72
Drop you tire closer to 20 psi. Then just get it back to BP and you just put your weight to the side you want to go. I find it is easiest to control when my legs are locked straight. Also, you need to be at BP to really steer them, it is pretty hard to steer below BP.
is it harder to steer em at 42psi? same method tho?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Ringmaster72 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I have never tried with my tire fully inflated.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM

jakesfords is an unknown quantity at this point

if you let the air out its a lot more stable
Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM

chirpin4th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DirtyToes

so lets say the bike starts going to the right, wat do i do?

p.s. besides lowering tire pressure...i'm stock..42(ish) psi
try and put your weight on the passenger peg and lean left...

I pretty much ride SS all the time so I bring the bike back real far and hang off what ever direction I want to go. Unless your going really slow.. then you can kind of point the bike in the direction you want.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

where ur head goes the body will follow
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

counter steer, but it only works at BP.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:26 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

If you ride streets alot then yeah, decrease your pressure to 35psi. If you get near 20psi you'll wear out the tire if you ride it around town like that too. If you learn at a higher psi you will be able to leave it higher when rocking streets too. Higher the psi the easier it is to steer, smaller surface area. The less psi, harder to steer, large surface, but when on idle it makes it easier to control.
If you just recently hit BP then its gonna be kinda hard to steer for a min. Your minds dealing with so much as it is, more might confuse you. Did me. The higher you get it, the easier it is to steer (countersteer, using legs) or lean (by hanging off the bike). Counter steer is harder cause you have to concentrate and putting the right amount of pressure on either peg. Leaning is just leaning off, which most do when learning, but not the best way. Get it higher with the brake then the small steering or leaning inputs you place on the bike, the easier it will steer.
Oh and remember its not gonna be immediate, it usually takes a sec for it to start drifting (steering) the way you want.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by -Nasty-
didn't think so but thats sooooooooooooo true.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 287ridah
If you ride streets alot then yeah, decrease your pressure to 35psi. If you get near 20psi you'll wear out the tire if you ride it around town like that too. If you learn at a higher psi you will be able to leave it higher when rocking streets too. Higher the psi the easier it is to steer, smaller surface area. The less psi, harder to steer, large surface, but when on idle it makes it easier to control.
If you just recently hit BP then its gonna be kinda hard to steer for a min. Your minds dealing with so much as it is, more might confuse you. Did me. The higher you get it, the easier it is to steer (countersteer, using legs) or lean (by hanging off the bike). Counter steer is harder cause you have to concentrate and putting the right amount of pressure on either peg. Leaning is just leaning off, which most do when learning, but not the best way. Get it higher with the brake then the small steering or leaning inputs you place on the bike, the easier it will steer.
Oh and remember its not gonna be immediate, it usually takes a sec for it to start drifting (steering) the way you want.
i'm rarely behind bp, and if im there, its only for a split-second...cause ill freak and close the throttle.

but ya, ill try wat u said tonight.

p.s. craziest **** happened last night....pop it up at like 10mph staggered, get it to bp....my left foot slips off the pass. peg!! ....dropped down into a tank slapper, my GPR saved it. :YEAH

i soooo thought i was gonna eat it.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 AM

jukebox is a decent person

i kno this is old as **** but dont want to start a new thread for one question... do u steer the bars the way u want it to go or opposite to the direction u want the bike to go?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

alot of times i dont turn my bars at all but when im doing low or real wide circles i usually turn them the opposite way but when just doing slow small ones i think some times i turn the same way ..

wow i was no help at all ..lol
Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't read this.

GundamnitPete will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by -Nasty-
Squid!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM

jukebox is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
alot of times i dont turn my bars at all but when im doing low or real wide circles i usually turn them the opposite way but when just doing slow small ones i think some times i turn the same way ..

wow i was no help at all ..lol
lol nawl kind of kno wat ur sayin.. tranfering body weights just seen a few ppl work the hbars a lil too so was curious if it made a big diff..
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 AM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

like ancient self combat styles, old sayings stay true