Handbrake adapter YZ450F

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Camarokid is a decent person
Handbrake adapter YZ450F

Sup everyone??!! I been having problems finding anadapter for my rear master to run my radial hand brake on my 03 YZ 450F. The problem is there is a sighglass in my master and i havent seen an adapter the goes below the sighglass! Just curious what the YZ owners have done or what adapters u guys have found?? I now Full Throttle makes a kit but wanted ta see if there are any other options?? Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Relentless Dedication..

YellowGixxer is a decent person
Re: Handbrake adapter YZ450F

Originally Posted by Camarokid
Sup everyone??!! I been having problems finding anadapter for my rear master to run my radial hand brake on my 03 YZ 450F. The problem is there is a sighglass in my master and i havent seen an adapter the goes below the sighglass! Just curious what the YZ owners have done or what adapters u guys have found?? I now Full Throttle makes a kit but wanted ta see if there are any other options?? Thanks!!
hey...if i were you id have someone fabricate a new bracket and use two calipers...way better!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Ryan Moore is an unknown quantity at this point

I made an adapter for my crf450 and run a 1/2 nissan master on the bars that full throttle sells. those big radial streetbike masters are way to large and require 3-4 fingers to lock it up becuase they are designed to push fluid to dual four piston calipers, and you are onlyu pushin one small one, so the ratio is jacked. Its like using a hydrualic floor jack to lift your car, but doing it in one pump! I have tried everything, and the smaller the piston, the better it works. The new full throttle setup does not require an adapter, wich is real cool, and Bill did all the calculations on the ratio's to make it bite real hard. I had problems bleeding mine, but Kiaks got his workin and loves it.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Relentless Dedication..

Originally Posted by Ryan Moore
I made an adapter for my crf450 and run a 1/2 nissan master on the bars that full throttle sells. those big radial streetbike masters are way to large and require 3-4 fingers to lock it up becuase they are designed to push fluid to dual four piston calipers, and you are onlyu pushin one small one, so the ratio is jacked. Its like using a hydrualic floor jack to lift your car, but doing it in one pump! I have tried everything, and the smaller the piston, the better it works. The new full throttle setup does not require an adapter, wich is real cool, and Bill did all the calculations on the ratio's to make it bite real hard. I had problems bleeding mine, but Kiaks got his workin and loves it.
i could use a front crf 450 caliper with a zx6r master right? becauses its a dual piston

Last edited by YellowGixxer; 02-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YellowGixxer
i could use a front crf 450 caliper with a zx6r master right? becauses its a dual piston

no I think you want at most a 16 MM master piston, like Ryan said any streetbike front master is not efficient for a SM handbrake ( really even streetbikes), I have a GSXR radial on my SM handbrake that I never use because its not powerful enough, you get more leverage from a smaller piston, more leverage=fewer fingers
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Relentless Dedication..

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
no I think you want at most a 16 MM master piston, like Ryan said any streetbike front master is not efficient for a SM handbrake ( really even streetbikes), I have a GSXR radial on my SM handbrake that I never use because its not powerful enough, you get more leverage from a smaller piston, more leverage=fewer fingers
ok so what master should i get ? and the front brake caliper would be good to use for a hb?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM

hecko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YellowGixxer
ok so what master should i get ? and the front brake caliper would be good to use for a hb?
Anything with a 13mm bore (or equivalent measure in imperial terms). HAI sell 13mm brembos, Ryan above said he used to use nissan, I have picked up a clutch master off of a TLR (although it is untested as I am having headaches sourcing an adaptor to fit the WR400 foot master)

If you were to make up a bracket to run a front caliper on the rear, then your best bet is to probably run the front master off of the same bike if you know what I mean, although off the top of my head I am not sure what size the front brake master bore size is. Easy to find out though cause it should be on the master somewhere. Hope this makes sense!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Relentless Dedication..

Originally Posted by hecko
Anything with a 13mm bore (or equivalent measure in imperial terms). HAI sell 13mm brembos, Ryan above said he used to use nissan, I have picked up a clutch master off of a TLR (although it is untested as I am having headaches sourcing an adaptor to fit the WR400 foot master)

If you were to make up a bracket to run a front caliper on the rear, then your best bet is to probably run the front master off of the same bike if you know what I mean, although off the top of my head I am not sure what size the front brake master bore size is. Easy to find out though cause it should be on the master somewhere. Hope this makes sense!
couldn't i just get a db front master? hook a line on it and call it done?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM

I found an adapter from Rekluse, that has the proper junction valve / adapter that goes below the sightglass and wont have to worry about that!! Its roughly 80$ for the adapter alone, i spoke ta bill at full throttle and his setup awsome!! I just ahvent had a chance to here any reviews on it yet, but nows the time ta buy one from full throttle cause there ganna raise the price in the next month or so! Rekluse's kit for the duel action is 300$ and it will come with the proper master. I think im just ganna go with with one of these kits just so there arent any fitment issues!! DOES ANYBODY NOW THE BORE SIZE OF A STOCK 06-07 R6 FRONT RADIAL MASTER???

Last edited by Camarokid; 02-14-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

I found an adapter from Rekluse, that has the proper junction valve / adapter that goes below the sightglass and wont have to worry about that!! Its roughly 80$ for the adapter alone, i spoke ta bill at full throttle and his setup awsome!! I just ahvent had a chance to here any reviews on it yet, but nows the time ta buy one from full throttle cause there ganna raise the price in the next month or so! Rekluse's kit for the duel action is 300$ and it will come with the proper master. I think im just ganna go with with one of these kits just so there arent any fitment issues!! DOES ANYBODY NOW THE BORE SIZE OF A STOCK 06-07 R6 FRONT RADIAL MASTER???

R6 master piston is still too big,, you almost need to go aftermarket...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM

I figured it was, thats y im ganna go with one of the 2 kits prolly. But ive been curious on what the size is, ive been looking for a while and havent found any info on it. Im using an r6 radial on my front brake with a 320mm rotor and one fingure will flip that bike over. Its crazy!!! :YEAH
Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

I figured it was, thats y im ganna go with one of the 2 kits prolly. But ive been curious on what the size is, ive been looking for a while and havent found any info on it. Im using an r6 radial on my front brake with a 320mm rotor and one fingure will flip that bike over. Its crazy!!! :YEAH

on yeah on your front brake...you have 2 caliper pistons (I wanna say around 35 mm)...the back brake you only have 1 caliper piston (I wanna say around 30 mm). A caliper will have much more mechanical advantage on the front brake than the rear due to the much larger piston surface area. the r6 master wouldnt work nearly as well for the handbrake due to the differences above
Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Goodluckmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 14mm master (NC30 front) on there, and it bites OK, but is too wooden for my taste. 1/2" or 13mm is the way to go.