Honda 02 crf450r -vs- an 03 and newer..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold
Honda 02 crf450r -vs- an 03 and newer..

Man guys, this may be a stupid question. But I really don't know too much about these Honda dirtbikes... Are there any changes that this bike went through that would make an 02 undesireable when compared to a newer model?

I know that with my Aprilia in 02 they had more low end torque than the newer bikes, but not as much top speed....

The gix totally changed from 05 to 06 as far as my 600 is concerned...

I just wanted to know if I should hold out for a stock 03 over taking an 02 450R with a little more extra stuff?? Will this choice affect me down the line when I go to get parts for my supermoto build, or am I asking a stupid question? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 AM

atf8611 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda 02 crf450r -vs- an 03 and newer..

i have heard that hondas have really bad valve problems. not sure what year those were resolved. check thumpertalk.com. tons of info on dirtbikes.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

supposedly a dude is going to bring me an 02 with a Kibblewhite valve train upgrade?? If he shows up today, I'll ask him about that and see what he tells me...he wants to trade me for this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda for sale.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	196138
I'll also investigate that prior to the deal on my own...thanks

Is this a quality fix for that problem, or does anyone else run with one of these?? I had a hard time locating them online...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point

YEAH kibblewhite valves are real good! And relatively inexpensive. Cause the original valves were what, Aluminum? Kibblewhites are stainless steel. A little bit heavier, but way tougher. Big difference.

What are the other mods the guy's got on the '02?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus
YEAH kibblewhite valves are real good! And relatively inexpensive. Cause the original valves were what, Aluminum? Kibblewhites are stainless steel. A little bit heavier, but way tougher. Big difference.

What are the other mods the guy's got on the '02?

Alot of racing mods
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Kilbble white kit is like 500+ install. The stock valves are Ti and get out of spec rather easy. You shim them back spec. but over time and wear you cant shim any more and you have to replace.

Pro Circuit and Kibble White make some pretty good Stainless Steal valves.

The '02-'03 is the same, with small changes, and the '04-'06 are pretty simular. Many of the parts cross over, and infact a lot of parts are the same on the '02 and '05-'06 models. '03-'04 I guess were experimental years and they ended up going back to '02 stuff. wEird.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 AM

jbstunts is a decent person

i would stick with the one that is closest to stock. these bikes have crazy power and dont need any engine mods for stunting, that is what you plan on doin with it, right?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by Jb420
i would stick with the one that is closest to stock. these bikes have crazy power and dont need any engine mods for stunting, that is what you plan on doin with it, right?

They don't call this stuntlife.com for nuthin... of course it is for stunting!! Even if it wasn't, that is what I would end up doing on it anyways.

I basically was just trying to get more for my money.

Thanks mikey for the year-specific info about when the manufacturer made changes. Is there any place on line that you can go to read about those in greater detail??

thanks guys, keep the info coming. Anyone rode them all and have a year that is the best? Is it true that the 02's have more torque and better power down low?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

The '02 is a complete monster. It eats babies and flicks off old ladies. Its a beast in every sense of the word. If you go on Thumpertalk.com/ there is a complete forum for just the CRF450.

Although for stunting you wont find much info there, you can atleast see differences in the years and what is and isnt problematic.

If you pick on up, take it off road atleast once, and let it eat! It will be a life changing experience. lol

My 450,

Last edited by Mikie; 06-28-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 PM
hunts and stunts

what about a KTM EXC 400...it's an 02... How is this bike for a supermoto build. Supposedly it has 48mm shock upgrade with some sort of remote air res. the guy said he like to woods ride, and trail ride alot... I don't know, sounsd like it may be used hard.... I know even less about KTM's... Isn't some young kid from hawaii stunting on a ktm supermoto that he built? I'm gonna try to find those threads...

If anyone has an 02 ktm exc 400, chime in and lets hear about it too... is it good for a supermoto build? Any quirks or things that I should look out for?? is 3 g's too much for an average one? thanks all.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
hunts and stunts

got the KTM ............no regrets. Having fun with it already.

Thanks to the like 3 people who replied, now I need to start a project KTM SM builder thread!!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM

kaiks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
got the KTM ............no regrets. Having fun with it already.

Thanks to the like 3 people who replied, now I need to start a project KTM SM builder thread!!
SWEET! get er done!!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

titanium is as strong as steel but not as hard... and another rule of thumb...once its time to adjust your titanium valves (because the clearance has tightened) its already time to replace, yeah you could keep shimming them down but the valve beats against the seat and they both start to lose their angles and before long your seat is rounded off. You will need to buy a new head and or have a shop recut the seats...and the deeper the seats are cut the more power you loose.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:48 AM

yowesq is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought an 02 and will pick it up on friday. What stunt mods are out there? I'd like to rig up a 12 bar with some sort of rear pegs, plus a handbrake. Anybody got 2 cents to put in?
-yow!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 AM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikie
Holy crap that thing looks like its about to rip someone's face off... :YEAH