good stunt bike...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 PM

sam1511 is a decent person
good stunt bike...

what would be a good beginner stunt motard.. that would also be used for commuting on the streets. anything with fuel injection? all the info you guys have is appretiated... thanks...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Peter Steele is a decent person
Re: good stunt bike...

250 or 450.. most peeps iether go yamaha honda or suzuki.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM

sam1511 is a decent person

ok... what about mods... what would have to be done to make either a 250 or 450 a motard that could be used for street and stunting
Old 07-15-2007, 02:16 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Tires, wheels, brakes, dual-sport kit(to get titled for the road), and gearing I think are some of the basics, but if you are wanting to ride alot on the streets I wouldn't go too crazy on the gearing of course.

I personally like the KTM's myself just because of the overall quality, and they come easily converted, if not already set up, with the SMR models. If you are buying new though, check out the price of the 450R and then look at the Aprilia motard prices...

I found them new at the same dealership I got my Mille for only 1 grand more than the new CRF450 and it has tard set up already! Street legal, and undertail exhaust, which is mandatory for installing any sort of cheater pegs on a Honda.

IMO ...for a brand new bike, and the cash you would have to spend to set up a honda -vs- the stuff that an Aprilia already has on it from factory... not to mention all the higher end quality parts, and a torque monster v-twin it has....you have no choice but to buy the Aprilia.....Hell, I think it may even be injected....not 100% sure on that though.

Good luck, post up pics of what you get. Who cares if you are a beginner too, it is either: spend your money now, or spend your money later...get what you want now and don't waste your time. That is how I look at it.

Last edited by jstuntlocke; 07-15-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I just picked up a crf250x. Greatest and smoothest dirtbike I've ever ridden.

If you plan on taking it to the streets, I wouldn't go with the motocross 250r or 450r. Go with the X, cause its got things like bigger gas tanks, wider-ratio tranny, smoother cam, some other crap...

And it already has front and rear running lights.

I got my 2004 crf250x for $3000. The guy barely rode it. Had to dig it out of the back of his garage! Good deal.
_____

Also, there is no fuel injection on dirtbikes yet.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus
_____

Also, there is no fuel injection on dirtbikes yet.

Sorry youngin.... Aprilia's SXV's have a 77 degree v-twin motor, with single overhead cam, rocker operated exhaust valves, 4 titanium valves per head, 38mm (40mm) throttle bodies, and an intergrated engine management system for controlling ingnition and FUEL INJECTION!!!

Those bikes are sweet, and that info. is straight off of Aprilia.com, now I can say that I am definately sure about the injection! lol

I would love an out of the box 'tard that is also outside of the box somewhat also!

Maybe not so good for a beginner though? I dunno, except that the Mille was my first bike...

Good find with the 250 too bemus!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

But... That's what I was thinking. in all practical reasoning, the Aprilia SXV is an $8500 bike. Damn... Not exactly the kind of bike you would purchase simply for streeting and stunt. I assumed that this guy here is looking for a reasonably priced common motard.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
hunts and stunts

You probably are right, but add up the motard wheels/brakes and tires, and the dual sport kit(to make it legal) on a honda crf450 and you probably have spent the same amount for one of those v-twins. I can get one of those Aprilias from the same shop that I got my Mille from for $7,333.00 I even think it is advertised on their website... www.reno'syamaha.com

I can't touch a CRF450R for under $6,500.00 around the KC area. Hell, just wheels and tires and I have spent more than the cost of an Aprilia....weird I know, but true.

It's like I said, you can spend your money now, or spend it later....
Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Oh yeah, excellent point.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Goodluckmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd hang on to see how the engines in the aprilias hold up to stunting - I know there have been a lot of issues with the valve train on them.
It's still a bike early in it's development, may be a bit much to take one on as a stunter.

I'd go for something tried and tested.

The Aprilia is an out-and-out race bike after all.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by Goodluckmonkey
I'd hang on to see how the engines in the aprilias hold up to stunting - I know there have been a lot of issues with the valve train on them.
It's still a bike early in it's development, may be a bit much to take one on as a stunter.

I'd go for something tried and tested.

The Aprilia is an out-and-out race bike after all.

True, true. Built for the track yea, yea...but have you ever rode a Mille, or any Aprilia motorcycle for that matter, that didn't just beg you to wheelie it??

Mine has put probably 40% of 28,000 miles on the rear wheel!! & That is probably actually the truth too without exaggeration. Valve problems with a 4-stroke dirtbike??? Well that's unheard of! LOL

Seriously though, I wouldn't be scared. Get the warranty and ride it hard!

Here in the states the Aprilia dealerships usually stand behind them really strong because they want more people buying them. You probably do see more units across the pond than we do here to base that comment from also. I don't think that a BMW is the best stuntbike, nor a KTM. But that doesn't stop dudes like Christian Pfiefer and crazy fans like me and you from doing it anyways!

I love Aprilia's and IMO that would be a quality stuntbike that would own the streets and leave some money in your pocket for gear and gas...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
Valve problems with a 4-stroke dirtbike??? Well that's unheard of! LOL
Unheard of?

Over on ThumperTalk and other forums I've read about TONS of valve problems with specifically the CRF250/450 X models (one of which I've got).

It got me pretty worried about whether or not I should have bought this crf250x because of the amount of complaints and frustration people were having with the '04 X's... I'll see for myself when it comes time for me to check these valves...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
hunts and stunts

Agiain........ sorry youngin, you obviously didn't pick up on the sarcasim in that one! EVERYONE knows about big 4-stroke dirt bikes being rough on valves. The Honda's were/are notorious for that.

My point I was trying to make was.....
I wouldn't base my decision on one or the other brands off of some other people's valve complaints. There are bound to be some with all brands of these type of bikes, some worse than others allbeit, but none worth spending the extra money to tard it out because of fewer claims.

Heck, you could upgrade the valve train for that kind of jack. This is why I like KTM's and Aprilia's that already come motard ready!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Alright, I give up! At least I learned something.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM
hunts and stunts

Last edited by jstuntlocke; 07-18-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
True, true. Built for the track yea, yea...but have you ever rode a Mille, or any Aprilia motorcycle for that matter, that didn't just beg you to wheelie it??

Mine has put probably 40% of 28,000 miles on the rear wheel!! & That is probably actually the truth too without exaggeration. Valve problems with a 4-stroke dirtbike??? Well that's unheard of! LOL

Seriously though, I wouldn't be scared. Get the warranty and ride it hard!

Here in the states the Aprilia dealerships usually stand behind them really strong because they want more people buying them. You probably do see more units across the pond than we do here to base that comment from also. I don't think that a BMW is the best stuntbike, nor a KTM. But that doesn't stop dudes like Christian Pfiefer and crazy fans like me and you from doing it anyways!

I love Aprilia's and IMO that would be a quality stuntbike that would own the streets and leave some money in your pocket for gear and gas...

The mille uses a Rotax twin which is tried an tested. The SXV/RXV uses their own engine, which is a race engine, as it's a race bike.

They come restricted to 33bhp - the warranty only covers the bike all the time it remains restricted.

Know what you mean about bikes needing to be wheelied though - I covered most of the miles on my TL1000S on 1 wheel.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by Goodluckmonkey
The mille uses a Rotax twin which is tried an tested. The SXV/RXV uses their own engine, which is a race engine, as it's a race bike.

They come restricted to 33bhp - the warranty only covers the bike all the time it remains restricted.

Know what you mean about bikes needing to be wheelied though - I covered most of the miles on my TL1000S on 1 wheel.
I actully asked if they were sourced from Rotax or not in Ryan Moore's thread about his new Aprilia a while back. I now know, thanks! But that still wouldn't stop me from stunting one!! :YEAH

Oh well, it sounded to me like this guy might be looking for a streeter first and a stunter second anyways.

Edit: I just noticed that this was my 420th post and I made it at 4:20...cool...gotta go log out for about 10 minutes!!

Last edited by jstuntlocke; 07-18-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

The V-Twin Aprilla should hold up fine...the valve problems are in the high revving 4 stroke motocross bikes...a V-twin could never rev that high....id be suprised if it could rev past 10 K.........my MX crf250 with an aftermarket rev box revs out to 14k...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM

I don't think I've ever revved my 250's engine higher than 8000! I have zero space here to really open it up plus I find all the torque I need in the bottom end.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
The V-Twin Aprilla should hold up fine...the valve problems are in the high revving 4 stroke motocross bikes...a V-twin could never rev that high....id be suprised if it could rev past 10 K.........my MX crf250 with an aftermarket rev box revs out to 14k...
The Aprilia's got a shorter stroke - it should rev harder than a single.

Either way, most that have been raced over here eat their cams and followers.
I'd give it another year till all the bugs are ironed out before buying one.

Quick Reply: good stunt bike...