Detroit, Michigan

Norwegian motorist is slapped with parking ticket while stuck in traffic jam

Old 09-13-2004, 07:07 PM
ScooterTrashST.com

NICK HILL is a decent person

Fri Sep 3,12:56 PM ET

OSLO, Norway (AP) - Renathe Opedal was hopelessly stuck in traffic during rush hour when an overeager attendant slapped her with a parking ticket for about $95 Cdn.

Opedal, 32, couldn't believe it. So she took the case to court and got the ticket annulled, plus an award equivalent to about $765 for costs.

"I'm really glad I won," she said by telephone Friday. "But it took much too much time and energy. I'm glad it's over."

On March 26, traffic had backed up in the southern town of Kristiansand during rush hour and Opedal's car got stuck in the middle.

According to the ruling by the Kristiansand District Court, the city parking attendant misunderstood the situation and thought Opedal had caused the traffic jam by parking illegally.

The court ruled that the traffic attendant was wrong, cancelled the ticket, and ordered the traffic department to pay Opedal for the costs.

"Parking companies do some pretty strange things sometimes," said Opedal. "They should have ... come to their senses. Instead, we had to go to court."