Need some help

Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 AM

italianprincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some help

I have a friends who wrecked last night takin a corner and lost it on some gravel. Going way too fast at 1:00am. The bike is wrecked, which is bad, but the worst part is that I couldn't make him go to the hospital. He's got no insurance and doesn't want his moms to find out.

HELP. What can I say to this guy to make him want to go. He is bruised from head to toe. His foot is broke for sure. Maybe some broken ribs. Hard to tell because he won't go get looked at. I told him he was in shock....he just started popping pain pills and said he was going to deal with it.

What can I say to make him change his mind.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:28 AM

XTJesse is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need some help

just rty to convince him, i wrecked my bike about 2 months ago, and i didnt think i need ed to go to the hospital but they brought me anyways and i found out that i had internal bleeding, its serious even if he thinks hes ok tell him to go get checked out
Old 05-23-2004, 12:46 PM

wint14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I'm finishing up doctor of phrmacy, and have worked internal medicine and trauma care. He is best off getting help early before anything gets worse. At least get him to med center/er to get it x-rayed. I know it sucks w/o insurance, but if it comes down to it, hospitals have social workers that can help w/ paying and such. From what you described, it is entirely possible that there is some sort of intenal damage, and if that is the case they will keep him there. But if not, they can treat his fracture and let him go.

Also if the foot is broken and he does not do anything about it will heal eventually, but there is a real chance it will not heal right and he will be dealing with it for the rest of his life. I was looking at an xray of a girl w/ a broken wrist thurs and it is amazing that even after a week the bones will start to noticably remodel...Just try to get him in...

ps- if his bike is wrecked, mom will find out anyway...
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 AM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Need some help

This happened through a jacket & gloves from a 95mph high-side. I like your friend had no insurance, and chose self-help. I religiously scrubbed my wounds (torso & legs) two/three times a day with betadine, and covered with Sulfadiazine and when that ran out just plain ole triple antibiotic. That worked for three days until infection finally set in, and I went into a two hour sequence of cold sweats & hot chills & so on. Once I realized I had an infection in my blood then it was time for the professionals to do there job. A little Keflex knocked it right out, but IF LEFT UNTREATED it could have been potentialy fatal. Not to mention the scar tissue that I am left with is much thicker then if they had treated it from the get go. Some guys think scars are cool. I'm not one of them, but unfortunately am left w/alot of them.

Basic fact is his mother can't not notice (excuse the 2x neg) her son's open wounds and bruising; not to mention not being able to walk for if left untreated AT LEAST 10 weeks (I just dislocated the first tarsal in my left foot, and it took two weeks of a cast & 4/5 weeks of a supportive brace called a 'cam-walker' to support weight on that foot). Most hospitals are obligated to treat an emergency situation, and in all honesty although unfavorable medical collections are looked past by most lenders. Just get him to go, and tell him you'll pay the $5 a month... cause that's all it takes to display good faith to a medical billing company.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	accident2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	81163  
Old 05-28-2004, 04:51 AM

chirayu is an unknown quantity at this point

you must convience him to goto the hospital, no matter what make him go!! he has to go you never know what's wrong

good luck
Old 05-31-2004, 10:27 AM

blackgt76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell him to Go sign up for insurance right now, if you sign up today you can get treatement tomorrow. I know "someone" that has done that and it worked.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:36 AM

xraycatj is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how the hospital in your area works but at the one I'm working at we are required to treat everybody regardless of their financial situation.

Search this Thread