Handbrake fads on Highway wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM

robert6316 is a decent person
Handbrake fads on Highway wheelies?

Can't figure this out, I have a dual four piston set up on my F4i, new lines, new calipers, stock pads, stock rotor, Brembo Master and I'm still catching some brake fad after a mile and half into a seatstander, the lever comes back to the bar and gets soggy, anybody know what the fix is? I'm running regular Dot 4 in it, I just ordered Motul and waiting for it to come in, not sure if that will fix it or not, I'm not dragging the brake much at all, just tappin it when I need to balance out, but not riding it, it make sense to me if that's what was going on, but it shouldn't be, I bled the crap out of it, even stood the bike up on the 12 bar and did a gravity bleed
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Handbrake fads on Highway wheelies?

RBF 600 is great brake fluid but if the brakes are dragging you will cook that too.

You are boiling your fluid, either from using too much brake, or some thing is hanging up.

You really shouldn't need your handbrake at any thing above a fast idle wheelie, keep your bike revving high enough so you can use engine brake and save the handbrake for an emergency.

If you feel like you need the handbrake alot when doing fast wheelies you may be in too high of a gear, if you go down one gear you will be revving the bike high enough that engine brake should be all you need.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 PM

I took your advice, it actually helped me out with my wheelies for smoothing them out even more, but the brake still does the same, thanks though, I wasn't using the brake much, but now I barely use it at all. I think it might be the brembo, I had no issue with the other handbrake I used before, is this common with Brembos? This is my second one, it's brand new and bled extremely well
Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

It's not a common problem with the brembo that I have ever heard of.

If you're not using your brake too much then something is causing the brakes to drag a little while you are riding, are you positive you aren't putting just a little bit of pressure on the lever while you are riding?

Even the slightest bit of pressure will cause the pads to hold a little bit of pressure on the rotor, and at 40 or 50 mph that would create a boat load of heat.

If that's not the issue then I would be looking to make sure the calipers aren't hanging up.

P.S Over filling your reservoir can cause your brakes to drag, when the fluid gets hot from normal use it expands, if there isnt any room for it to expand it will push the pads against the rotor.

There is a full line on the reservoir, do not fill the reservoir past the full line.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I took off my brand new Brembo and put on a nissin that I was using on my fourwheeler for a handbrake and swapped them, to my surprise it runs like a champ now, haven't had one fad in the last month, I feel alot better about it now and building my confidence back up with the trust of the handbrake. I'm definitely sure I wasn't putting any un needed presser on it, so still has me curious why it was doing that. I always make sure not to have the fluid to full now, I saw that when doing some research and it was one of the first things I tried. I know it doesn't make any sense on why a Nissin is working better than a Brembo, but turned out that was the story and I ordered both of them new off SI. Even had two other buddies try out my brake before I swapped it and they had the same problem. Guess I have a taste for cheap equipment...
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
also known as OMR

Maybe the lever wasn't letting the master fully release.