Is a Quad A legitimate way to learn the balance point

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 AM

djchrischip is a decent person
Is a Quad A legitimate way to learn the balance point

Is a Quad A legitimate way to learn the balance point with wheelies?

if so out of these two which is better with regards to

Banshee

or

YFZ 450

Honestly this quad will mostly be used on the street to learn how to wheelie but might see a few trails, a track, n def will see some snow duty

I personally am leaning towards the 450 with regard to the electric start (don't have to kick it over), Not needing to mix the gas, and third i feel i have to do less maintenance... I may be wrong about the last bit...

I def want to hear everyones opinion on the following <listed below> as well as tell u so far the 1 person i spoke to had this to say

Wheelies- (banshee, 450)- which will be a smoother, easier to wheelie machine as well as give me a relative idea of the balance point and how it feels on my 954

Track- (banshee, 450)- which would be hypothetically better?

trails- (banshee, 450)- which would be better to ride in just regular wooded trails <no sand dunes{pretty sure banshee reigns king still} or other extreme conditions>

snow on the streets- (Banshee, 450)- which will provide some traction <im assuming the 450 in this case

street blastin around- (banshee, 450)- Im undecided

maintenance (banshee, 450)- i'm assuming the 450 will win this category

overall fun- (banshee, 450)- I am goin to assume tht the banshee wins hands down

the kid i spoke to said
wheelies- banshee
track- 450
trails- banshee
snow- 450
streets- banshee
maintenance- 450
fun- banshee
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Stunt 4 life......

StUnT DaBbA is a decent person
Re: Is a Quad A legitimate way to learn the balance point

Not sure about which quad for what purpose but def a quad is a good start to learn balance point AND brake control. It's how I learned both but still found it didn't transfer to the big bike as easy as I had thought it would. Still a good start since you can't loop a quad. Others will say it doesn't help or to use a 50. The 50 I can't do anything with but the quad I can go all day (in a straight line. LOL) AT BP. My
Good luck man and be careful, I'm nursing broken ribs from crashing my f4i and sucks to not be able to practice
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by StUnT DaBbA
Not sure about which quad for what purpose but def a quad is a good start to learn balance point AND brake control. It's how I learned both but still found it didn't transfer to the big bike as easy as I had thought it would. Still a good start since you can't loop a quad. Others will say it doesn't help or to use a 50. The 50 I can't do anything with but the quad I can go all day (in a straight line. LOL) AT BP. My
Good luck man and be careful, I'm nursing broken ribs from crashing my f4i and sucks to not be able to practice

Dude dont feel bad, heal up soon man, i crashed my 954 around a turn last monday <june 28> n am nursing a hairline crack in my shoulder, n slightly seperated... n i am already buying another 954 n gettin ready to stunt my old 954...

as far as the original question my boy who is pretty good said something similar tht jumpin from a quad to a motorcycle is like starting from scratch
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 AM

i hope this thread blows up n we get some real good input from a lot of diff people i mean 2- 3gs isnt a ton of money to blow on the quad but if it does help its money well spent in my eyes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Free Riders

TheFBomb13 is a decent person

Originally Posted by djchrischip
i hope this thread blows up n we get some real good input from a lot of diff people i mean 2- 3gs isnt a ton of money to blow on the quad but if it does help its money well spent in my eyes
if you have 2-3gs you should just get a stunt bike..
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM

i will have both problem is on my 954 im not getting high enough

i am popping it in 1st gear <sittin down> at about 15- 22 miles per hour n ending up putting it down after a block or so at 62- 67 miles per hour... not fun for ur average beginner... just tryin to get an idea of the bp b4 i start tryin in on the 954
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM

any slower than starting at 15 just makes my rear tire burn out something awful
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Skinny_J is a decent person

A 450 will out perform a banshee in every aspect unless you are buildin a drag quad.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

get the 450 , i think they stopped making the banshee in 06 for one, and they are 2 stroke. will be a more difficult quad to do slow wheelies on because 2 strokes like to be revved up alot higher , you will be fouling spark plugs left n right

as far as learning wheelies . id say go for it. might give you some idea..but dont expect it to help on a big bike
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Hazen is a decent person

Yes, you can learn to wheelie on a quad.

Yes, it will help when you transfer to a bike. Mostly with throttle and clutch basics.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hazen
Yes, you can learn to wheelie on a quad.

Yes, it will help when you transfer to a bike. Mostly with throttle and clutch basics.

but not if you have no ***** - i know alot of guys who could do everything on a quad and are just to scurreedd to try it on a bike

i will also add that i honestly believe a 50 helped me alot. i learned alot of combos and all that before i got a stunt bike...then once i learned idle i felt very easy learning certain things . like sitdown to SS or simply stepping around on the pegs
Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

it will help train you to use the brake to stop from flipping over and clutching but i always recomend getting a 125 cc dirtbike. more suitable for transfer to a big bike as you have side to side balance as well.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Epd711 is a decent person

I've owned a few different quads, including a banshee. It's not the best for wheelies, like someone already said its a 2 stroke and I could not wheelie my banshee that good at all, but I could wheelie the **** out of my old 300ex.
I'd go for the 450 since its a 4 stroke wheelies will be easier. Only bad thing I can say against the 4 stroke is when it needs to be rebuilt, its not cheap on those things.
Not sayin you can't wheelie the banshee, just sayin it won't be as easy as the 450.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
IV
"bitchen"

IV will become famous soon enough

the quad is a great way to learn throttle/brake control and getting the feel for BP and beyond.

its quite a bit diff on a big bike though, you got way more power and you gotta deal with the side to side lean.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

banshees suck in the trails, they serve one good purpose, dunes!

they also suck for wheelies, they have a lot of power, so they make good power wheelies, but are going to be a lot harder to learn

I'd go with a 4 stroke quad. The 450 quads will have a lot of power so tehy will teach you throttle control.

If you can though, unless you just want a quad for fun, just learn on a friends. You could learn brake control in a hour on a quad.. Just clutch it up from nearly a dead stop, and mash the brake.
I've taught friends that couldn't even wheelie at all, to be slowing wheelies down in about 15 minutes on a quad lol
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM

stunt305 is a decent person

yeah the yfz was made to replace the banshee... the yfz is a four stroke and if your mostly gonna be stunting it you definatly dont want a 2 stroke (banshee) i bought a blaster which is also 2 stroke and i regret it every time i ride with my friends on raptors and yfz's the 400ex is also a great quad for stunting. the yfz will fucck the banshheee in the *** on most trails and tracks and you wont be reuilding the carb every 2 weeks
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

the 400ex is REALLY nice for first learning, it has very little power, so it's extremely easy to learn throttle control on. It would be nice to first learn on a 400ex, then step up to a 450 before a sport bike, that way you can learn what its like to wheelie something with lots of power

That's what I ilke about the 450's, they are torquey, snappy, and take a lot of throttle and brake control to keep from looping out. 400ex's are a lot easier to learn brake control on, but IMO wont teach you as much about throttle control

I personally think quads are the best tool for learning brake control. but once you get brake control, time to get on a 2 wheeler and learn side to side balance, because at low speed, side to side balance is a whole new game.

My friend that is wheelie-tarded, in one day, while drunk I might as well add, I told him exactly what to do, clutch it up, mash the brake. Do that a few times, then try to keep it up while riding the brake. Within 5-6 wheelies, I saw him look like he was gonna loop, then he slammed it down by mashing the brake.. Took 5-6 actual attempts to learn to mash the brake. Then throughout the day he learned to ride 10mph wheelies for blocks
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM

ronix is a decent person

Ltz 400 or ex400 are wheelie monsters 450 and Banshees are more race oriented just my
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 AM

ok so im hearing as a consensus...

1... get the quad if i want to learn simple clutch up/ rear brake basics... if i do get the quad go with a 450
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Chicken

bulletchicken is a decent person

450 all the way..
Banshees are for the dunes and straight race ****.

quads are a good way to learn brake, throttle and clutch control.
but limit you..
nothing like doing circles on a bike!!

check out some of my older videos for lots of quad ****.
stunted out an LTR 450 for 2 years.. got pretty boring.

www.youtube.com/bulletchicken