sprocket removal HORROR STORIES!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM

SEE_BEE_ARE is a decent person
sprocket removal HORROR STORIES!!!

im a 19 year old college student. with a job as a cook at a sports bar.. ill be the first to admit that imma noob when it comes to stunting. I met some guys that are willing to show me the ropes. good right? i think so. well anyways, i made the first step. i searched the pro rider set up thread and decided to order the street stunt sprocket set up from Thrust Company. i was pleased with their awesome shipping time. and now comes the scary part. i decided a while back that Stealerships were no longer the answer and decided to take matters into my own hands.. lets go bulllet form from here... 07 Cbr600rr.
-
-lifted bike and removed back tire. (excited to see the new sprocket on it)
-placed rear tire back on and inserted axle
-placed in first and proceded to figure out how to take the front sprocket cover off.
- disconnected gear shift rod

A big black hose was in my way.. so i said hell let me loosen this clamp and ill just pull it off. SURPRISE!!! it was the radiator hose. coolent spews everywhere in my garage..

-immediately place hose back on.. only to realize i dropped the clamp..
-take hose back off. more coolent gushes out. but i get the clamp back on...
- smoked 2 cigarettes while i washed off and cleaned up
- this time moved hoses over to find only 2 bolts held in the cover.
-removed the 2 bolts. and removed cover.

Damn if that front sprocket bolt wasnt tighter than sheeeet. so i come back inside to search helpful hints on stuntlife and 9/10 of what i find is either breaker bar or impact wrench.. dissapointed that i would have to wait for autozone to open so i could spend the last bit of my money on a breaker bar., i decide to call it a night at 330 am... after realizing i wasnt going back to sleep i got back on stunt life and found another tip i decided to try. dont disconnect the chain. have it on the ground. and hold the back brake and use a breaker bar.. well i remembered seeing a small diameter metal pipe in the garage about 2 feet long..... well that meant this..
-once again removing rear tire.
-took new sprocket off.
-placed old sprocket back on
-placed tire back on.

alll of that hard work putting the tire back on to realize i forgot to put the chain around the swing arm.. to hook it back over the sprocket. soooo..
-removed rear tire
-hooked chain over swing arm
-placed tire back on

from there i was finalllly ready to try the pipe idea. held in the brake. and it was a sinch.. popped loose just like that. i was soo excited that i had to go smoke another 2 cigarettes because i felt pretty accomplished.
and here comes the good part. ( as if someone isnt going to get a kick out of my nooobish work)
i walk to my grandpas shed to get his dremel to cut off the old chain.. without saftey goggles i procede to cut away at the chain... well something told me that was a bad idea... so i search around for goggles... dont find any... so i said foook it. i put on my joe rocket helmet. flipped down the visor and got close to the chain and started cutting.. i noticed a peice was loose on the dremel... as i reach to turn it off and right before i could.. the peice comes completely loose..flys up.. hits the dremel cutting disc.. breaks it clean in the center. and the entire disc hits my visor right between my eyes... at that point i realized.. its was time for another cigarette. afterwards i replaced the cutting disc and felt like a sucess when i finally cut through the chain. ahah. but.. an already long story that there is no point in cutting short but i will anyways. i had fun. it was a learning experience. although it would have been nice to do it the first time. anyone care to share their stories? id love to hear them. i could use a moral boost. ahah sorry to type your eyes off.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:20 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold
Re: sprocket removal HORROR STORIES!!!

I can't get my 636 front sprocket off
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Scotty7one7 is a decent person

was kida long story but i thought it was funny and i laughed...lessons ive learned, dont fix it if it aint broke...glad u got ur spreocket on now do wheelies
Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM

maverickxp is a decent person

lol good one make sure you super tighten that front sprocket. i hade mine come loose when i id my first sprocket change years ago it sucked
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Suicidl
I can't get my 636 front sprocket off
I get it tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM
needs a gpr

gsx_r_zoom is a decent person

...removed and replaced all the fairings on a customers 09 gsxr 750 last night only to realize the motor was pinging turns out its got a spun bearing=[.. the bike has 8k mile,learning lessons suck. lol
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Good story

My first time took half a day too, it only gets easier. If you get an angle grinder (cheap) it makes it a lot easier too
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

Originally Posted by maverickxp
lol good one make sure you super tighten that front sprocket. i hade mine come loose when i id my first sprocket change years ago it sucked
about how many ft.lbs. is that
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM

97gix6 is a decent person

We all start somewhere right? The first chain and sprocket I ever did had a very similar story line, minus the coolant incedent. My roommate and I fought and fought with the front sprocket for hours. We used a breaker bar, an impact, you name it, we tried it. 3 hours in another room mate came in the garage, put a breaker bar on it and popped it loose in about 2.5 seconds. Talk about feeling like a retard. This of course was after removing and replacing the rear wheel about five times. Close to five hours after starting the whole project we finally finished. Well, with every gearing change a test ride is in order so at about 2:30am we hit the street. First wheelie my roommate does he flips the bike.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

lol you dont own a breaker bar or impact, and you didn't know what a radiator hose looked like?!

My first sprocket involved a breaker bar and a 6 foot long cheater pipe on it lol
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM

B0arder606 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just swapped from db bars to clip ons and had to take the top triple off like 6 time cause i kept forgetting to feed the cables/wires through the right way...And ive been working on my bikes for 4+ years so dont feel bad
Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Slaw Skillz is a decent person

Great story!!! LOL Gotta learn sometime and some how!!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
FYF

motopsycho231 is a decent person

****, had my stock clipons all set up and decided to try flipped 636 clips. after putting each on 20 times and getting super pissed, I put it back to the way it was. it was the biggest waste of a saturday I have ever witnessed and I have ALWAYS worked on my bikes for like 5+ years. Lesson: when dealing with stunt bikes nothing NOTHING will ever go as planned. Just learn and move on to the next thing.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Someone Teach Me!

Maztamynd is a decent person

Man... I tried for hours trying to get my front sprocket loose. Spent money on the half inch drive rachet and the socket to fit. Was trying the method where you leave it on the ground and hold the back brake.. I was sitting on my bike holding my rear brake lever down and at the same time trying to break the sprocket bolt loose.. Snapped my ****** brake lever off.. Said **** it and took it to the dealership.. Next time I'll just buy an impact or maybe have someone help with a breaker bar.

Why would you have to cut a chain off? No master link?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 PM

albanyrida is a decent person

took me nearly all day to put a moter in my 636 it wouldnt fit between the motor mounts so i took the grinder to them and made it fit
Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Maztamynd
Man... I tried for hours trying to get my front sprocket loose. Spent money on the half inch drive rachet and the socket to fit. Was trying the method where you leave it on the ground and hold the back brake.. I was sitting on my bike holding my rear brake lever down and at the same time trying to break the sprocket bolt loose.. Snapped my ****** brake lever off.. Said **** it and took it to the dealership.. Next time I'll just buy an impact or maybe have someone help with a breaker bar.

most bikes coe stock with a press fit master . gotta cut them .

dont feel bad everybody goes through it at one point or another ....
Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
lol you dont own a breaker bar or impact, and you didn't know what a radiator hose looked like?!

My first sprocket involved a breaker bar and a 6 foot long cheater pipe on it lol
long cheater pipe is always on stand-by!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Jgsxr05 is a decent person

sounds like u got off to a good start! If nothing else u know how to take the rear wheel off and u will have to do that many many more times.

Check your pm box!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 PM

wreckin_repsol is a decent person

hahaha, I have had plenty of those days....keep at it!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM

SEE_BEE_ARE is a decent person

Originally Posted by Maztamynd

the old chain was just sooo nasty that i couldnt find it.. and i completely overlooked my angle grinder... which probably had the chain cut ten times faster with a whole hell of alot less chance of having my face cut off by a flying dremel disc. ahah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sprocket removal HORROR STORIES!!!