Change tires myself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Change tires myself?

First off where is a good place to order new tires?

Second can I change them myself? I have the tire irons that I got from 50 stunt to do my fiddy tires. But i dont know if they will work on the big bike. Never did tires myself before on big bike. If its too much a pain in the *** I can bring them to Honda. What do you guys do?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person
Re: Change tires myself?

changing tires by hand on a big bike is a pain in the...well u know.....imoto is good....others wll comment on good brands
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Sugar Free

Jerro is a decent person

Originally Posted by Black03R1
First off where is a good place to order new tires?

Second can I change them myself? I have the tire irons that I got from 50 stunt to do my fiddy tires. But i dont know if they will work on the big bike. Never did tires myself before on big bike. If its too much a pain in the *** I can bring them to Honda. What do you guys do?
i do both, got a buddy that works at local bike shop, so when i have a chance i take it to him. or can change it at the spot. shovel or shovel handle to break the bead and tire iron it of. have a spray bottle with soapy water
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

changing virtually any tire yourself can be done. my uncle changes the humungous tires on his backhoe himself. i do all my own motorcycle tires, i refuse to pay a shop to scratch my wheels or destroy the bead of the tire, and then try to tack on additional fees like new valve stems everytime to suck a few more dollars outta me. it may take you time and patience but then again how much time does it take you to remove the wheel from your bike, drive to the dealer, pay them 20 bucks, wait for it, then drive back home, then mount it back on the bike ? used to take me all afternoon for a fiasco like that.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

changing big bike tires is easier than changing 50 tires by far. i can actually do tires faster by hand than i can with a machine. once you get comfortable doing it, its rediculously easy and youll punch yourself for ever paying a shop to do it for you. breaking the bead you can either use a 2x4 put it on the edge and jump on it or i usually just run over the edge with my truck with a piece of cardboard under the rim so the pavement doesnt scratch it.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
shady since the 80's

Austin913 is a decent person

I got these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42927

cut up laundry soap bottles for rim savers and tape up some edges on the changer and you're golden. I change tires for beer.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
highchair coaster burnout

jcf4i is a decent person

changing tires is easy. in the future ask youtube questions like this.. lol
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
i can actually do tires faster by hand than i can with a machine.
I challenge you to a race if you ever come to NH..... I can do a change in a minute including breaking the bead with my rim clamp machine.

Look for local racers for take off track tires
Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Boris-p is an unknown quantity at this point

changing a tire is a 10 min job, its easy just set the tire and the rim on the ground use someting to put on the ground so you dont scratch the rim up, get in your car and run over the tire ( close as possible but dont hit your rim so you dont bend it ) to breake the bead then turn it over and do the same and use 2 tire irons to pop the bitch off after doing it once or twice yull get the hang of it its so easy trust me....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 PM

D Rail is a decent person

ok this is prob a stupid question but what do you guys do to balance it or you just dont worry about that?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

Changing tires is pretty easy once you do it a few times,

Im uploading tires for sale this week. I used to try not to sell them on the internet but to many people have been asking me lately.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i got pretty good at replacing popped tubes on my fiddy. I could change tubes in no time at all. took a while the first few times tho. I was going to sawzall my old tires off the rims cuz they are bald as hell and I was guna toss em. Figured just cut em off and just worry about mounting new ones. but maybe I will try to pop them off like you guys recommend. guna give it a go myself then.

Any other recommendations on places to order tires. i ordered tires for my R1 years ago from kneedraggers.com. I'll hafta see if they are still in business.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 PM
shady since the 80's

Austin913 is a decent person

Originally Posted by D Rail
ok this is prob a stupid question but what do you guys do to balance it or you just dont worry about that?
I have one of these before it was this. Mine is a stand, but this one looks bad ***.

http://pitposse.com/popobakit.html

I balance tires for street riding. On my lot bike it doesnt matter.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Tekanomics is a decent person

search my threads. we had a good 'ol time
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM

MERKK is a decent person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0s2NzImDhA
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
SEAT SPREADER COMBOS

burnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MERKK

+1...... was about to post this
Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 AM

02gsxxr is a decent person

their is also another video done by Scudman who has removal and install and how to make your own balancer
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 AM

gixxerkiid is a decent person

literally just did a front and rear by myself with the little spoons 6" i think i use the loading ramp to break the bead like put the metal part really close to the edge of the rim and jump on it hard the rest is easy. never ever ever pay 20-30 dollars for a shop to do it total rip off
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 AM

gixxerkiid is a decent person

also balancing is over rated especially if its a lot bike
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM

solukcom is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to the local bike shops around your house and pick up all of their descent used tires. Here in Oklahoma the bike shops have to pay the state to pick up the tires, so it's possible you could get paid to take perfectly good, used tires.

Breaking the bead- If you have problems driving over the tire to break the bead, here's a few alternatives.
Use a C-clamp, brace it on one side of the rim and torque it down on the opposite side of the tire, same with the other side.
Place a jack under the car or anything stationary, put the wheel on the jack with the jack point up against the edge of the tire and pump it up.

As far as changing and mounting a new tire, it's not too bad once you get in a routine of doing it. Keep the spoons close to each other to avoid ripping the tire. Soap and water help! Whether your taking a tire off or putting a tire on, the section of the tire your not immediately working on, keep it in the center of the wheel.

Quick Reply: Change tires myself?