Mini Tach/Speedo Development

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:10 PM

12oclocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Mini Tach/Speedo Development

Guys, I have in development a very compact tachometer/speedo combo gauge!
I want some feedback from everyone, what kind of mounting would you like to see on something like this? mount to handlebars, etc?

I am working to make it Plug and Play for motorcycles, you can plug it into your stock speed sensor, and your in-between your sparkplug coil plug, and then mount it somewhere, now you have a tach/speedo.

You would press a button to switch between Tach / Speedo view.

The gauge is small, but the display is still easily readable from sitting on the bike no matter where you mount it.

Let me know what you guys think, anyone want something like this?

Printout of PCB design so you can get an idea of the size this unit will be, final product will be over-molded in a black weatherproof enclosure which should only be a few mm larger than the printout seen here.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Mini Tach/Speedo Development

I would buy one. I had a Vapor speedometer on my motard but something like this would be perfect for the f4i.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 PM

F3 stunna is a decent person

i run a trek mountain bike speedometer on my bike, $29.95 and its pretty accurate for the price! it just slides right off when you get to the lot! lol how much will this be costing?? and yeah the handlebar mount works good.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

You need to add a gas light
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 AM

i run a trek mountain bike speedometer on my bike, $29.95 and its pretty accurate for the price! it just slides right off when you get to the lot! lol how much will this be costing?? and yeah the handlebar mount works good.
I've still got to do the numbers on figuring the cost, but quick guess I'm thinking somewhere around 80 bucks. I'll probably have a cheaper intro price when they are first released.

I would buy one. I had a Vapor speedometer on my motard but something like this would be perfect for the f4i.
Yeah I've actually bought 3 or 4 Vapors myself, they work pretty good for speed, one of the problems I've noticed with them is the tach though, it's not accurate, and tends to jump around a lot. also the tempature readings on the unit are pretty far off. The one on my crf floats, sometimes it is around 20 degree's off, and sometimes 10 degrees off . The unit on my WR250F was on average around 15 degree's off. At first I thought I probably had a flaky unit, but after owning a few of them, I guess they're all like that. Still a pretty cool gauge though, it gets me in the ballpark.
The plus on this unit is the tach will be reliable and accurate, its size will make it easy to mount anywhere, you wont have to replace any batteries on it. it will be vehicle powered.

Last edited by 12oclocker; 12-01-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
You need to add a gas light
I have plans to make a deluxe combo unit with tach/speed/temp/oil warning/low fuel/ maybe even gear indicator as well ... basically everything a stock cluster would have, but much smaller. Just have not got to that yet, I plan on working on it this winter though.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

Originally Posted by 12oclocker
I have plans to make a deluxe combo unit with tach/speed/temp/oil warning/low fuel/ maybe even gear indicator as well ... basically everything a stock cluster would have, but much smaller. Just have not got to that yet, I plan on working on it this winter though.
Its Dec as of 51 mins ago, Done yet?
Check out 450Forum.com , something like this would be sweet.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 AM

zxcraig is a decent person

full mini cluster would be bad *** !!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
Its Dec as of 51 mins ago, Done yet?
Check out 450Forum.com , something like this would be sweet.
I wish it was that quick, lol, I can crank out some designs pretty quick, its the prototyping, building, and production that takes a bit of time. I'll check that forum out.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM

MotoGiya is a decent person

that is pretty hot.. i'll buy one in a heart beat.. i was thinking of getting one of the Koso clusters for my bike.

http://www.motogiya.com/motorcycle/K...S__-17269.html

or
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...p?skuId=408371

Expensive as hell though.. :\
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

starkid22 is a decent person

itll be good if it were mounted right by ignition small and compact great job
Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 12oclocker
i don't think you'd need all that. i think most stunters would only need temp, fuel and fi light, although you would need a speedo to pass inspections if registering.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM

F3 stunna is a decent person

80 bucks isn't too bad at all!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I ♥ uR mOm

INSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant future

i remember talking to you about a plug n play tach for the wr250x....... i take it this is it?
are you comming out with multiple designs like....... speedo / tach -or- tach only -or- tach/speed/temp/oil warning/low fuel.....ect. or are you doing the combo unit only for now?
i would still have interest, but more in a tach only model (if it was cheaper than the combo). although ive gotten used to it not having one. keep me posted
looks good so far
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

word id buy one.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
HARLEM BOYZ

NARD BLOCKZ has a spectacular aura aboutNARD BLOCKZ has a spectacular aura aboutNARD BLOCKZ has a spectacular aura about

werd, I'll cop a few too. Let us kno when you get these rollin
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

just noticed something only three digits on the display?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by skillz
just noticed something only three digits on the display?
Right, RPM readings will be at x1000, example:2500 RPM would display at [ 2.5], 10,500 RPM would read as [10.5]

i remember talking to you about a plug n play tach for the wr250x....... i take it this is it?
are you comming out with multiple designs like....... speedo / tach -or- tach only -or- tach/speed/temp/oil warning/low fuel.....ect. or are you doing the combo unit only for now?
i would still have interest, but more in a tach only model (if it was cheaper than the combo). although ive gotten used to it not having one. keep me posted
looks good so far
Yes, I'll have a plug and play version available for the WR250X very soon, the connectors are already on order!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Post Whore Nazi

MoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for rep

I would mount one on my rat rod