teaching question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM

YodaCon is an unknown quantity at this point
teaching question

my buddy's a street rider with solid wheelie skills, just engine brake, he never covers or uses the rear brake. Now he's trying to slow it down and work on his lot game.

I was trying to teach him to 12 without using idle, I figured he could improve throttle control and learn the brake. Right now he's not covering the brake and I figured if he caught the idle he'd loop it for sure.

Other guys today were saying learn to catch idle first.

what do you think
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough
Re: teaching question

isnt that what "catch idle" means....use the brake to slow down and reach idle before looping? like to literally catch yourself with the brake.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM

1brownj is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a squid but tell him good luck oh and if you are not using the rear brake at all i dont think i would go so far as to say he has solid wheelie skills either
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

if he can get his hands on a 50 or quad he can use that to learn the rear brake. that's what I did in the beginning and it helped..some what. if not, he can learn to ride out 2nd gear and gradually start bringing it back while working the rear brake. that'll teach him to slow it down a little and build his confidence and learning the rear brake. oh, and if he doesn't already have a cage, get one. he's gonna need it...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
www.cycletreads.co.nz

Kevmo7 is a decent person

Originally Posted by atnuts
if he can get his hands on a 50 or quad he can use that to learn the rear brake. that's what I did in the beginning and it helped..some what. if not, he can learn to ride out 2nd gear and gradually start bringing it back while working the rear brake. that'll teach him to slow it down a little and build his confidence and learning the rear brake. oh, and if he doesn't already have a cage, get one. he's gonna need it...
+1

50's rock for learning
Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 PM

Raider9170 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tell people to ride their normal power wheelies or whatever and start tapping and using the brake during those. Even though they don't HAVE to it keeps them in a safe range and lets them get used to the feel and get the muscle memory. Then when they are comfy they do the exact same thing, only take the wheelie back a bit further.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Unknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to behold

If he's not covering or using the rear break he shouldn't be doing wheelies at all. It's a hard habit to form but the most important one to learn. Tell him to get use to keeping his foot there no matter how uncomfortable for him it may be.