TMS helmets ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: TMS helmets ???

Originally Posted by Kartel
I'd stick with my SHOEI. However I do believe You are right but it may also depend on the model of HJC and please remember it's not only about protection but also about comfort (noise, ventilation and so on...) as well as looks.
oh no doubt, I'd only get a higher end helmet for the comfort, not because it protects better (although if it DOES protect better, then that's good)

every HJC i've worn felt like trash, feels like sand paper on your face lol

I'd love a high end helmet like a shoei, but damn they are expensive

my icon isn't tooo bad for the money, its heavy, but comfortable
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
BiG AzZ sQuID

Frankenstein929 is a decent person

My icon is nice... Nothing incredible just nice... but 90% of the time on the street i rock my Fly dirtbike helmet.... the only down fall is the noise... which i compensate for with an iPod, armband, and headphones..
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the anvil test, which is the most important test. basically they drop an anvil on the helmets from a predetermined distance. you'll notice SNELL is the only helmet standard to drop the edge anvile

Last edited by lee majors; 02-27-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
BiG AzZ sQuID

Thats all fine and dandy but.... wtf does it mean? lol i understand its a test and these are the standards... but... yeah... where is the punch line here.... we know that snell is better thats why its more expensive
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

that post got all fucked up. basically what i was tryin to say is that the snell standard has the highest impact tests, they have to be able to withstand 150j, whereas dot's standards are only 65j.

plus snell is the only one that does the edge anvil test.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 PM
BiG AzZ sQuID

Originally Posted by lee majors
that post got all fucked up. basically what i was tryin to say is that the snell standard has the highest impact tests, they have to be able to withstand 150j, whereas dot's standards are only 65j.

plus snell is the only one that does the edge anvil test.

ic, lol yeah i knew all that just had never seen it written out... what does "j" wtand for? newtons?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM

idrivea911 is a decent person

Withstanding 160 Joules vs 65 J isn't necessarily a good thing. The helmet will withstand more of an impact, but all of the energy the helmet withstands gets transferred to your neck. The idea of a low-energy helmet is that in a crash, the helmet will crack and squish so that your head has more time to decelerate.

For fellow engineers, Force * change in time = mass * change in speed... your mass doesn't change, and the change in speed is from how fast you're going to 0. All you can change is the time it takes to slow down. If you can make that take longer, then the force going to your head and neck is decreased. This is why cars went from 100% survivable rigid chassis to ones with crumple zones. It's all about increasing the time it takes to slow down.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM

bargain biker is a decent person
Post Re: TMS helmets ???

Hello. I am new here. I ride a motorised bicycle to work (don't laugh or do, I don't care, actually).

I found your page searching "TMS Helmets" . I am about to buy a helmet online for what I do (I go 25-35mph, but cars go faster!). I think I will buy the scorpion that someone mentioned here with the quick change sheilds.

I really like the flip up chin&visor type that TMS has for about $30-50. I suspect they are probably made by someone who mfg's lots of name brand stuff, and just sold as a store-branded plain-jane entry helmet.

I don't do stunts, but I want to be safe(r). My uncle rode serious MC's and saved his life with a helmet.

There are many motor bicycle fans (cheap transportation, fast for a bicycle, park in small areas) and we need lightweight, cheap helmets but not total crap.

Your research can help. PM or email mohdoggies y! ahoo . Thanks

I am sold on the Shoei brand if I ever get a full size motorcycle. I saw a vid/news story about a guy who was doing 120mph and lost it, hitting the back of a 60mph box truck. His face was stuck in the roll up door, and the truck dragged him a mile or two before stopping. The cops thought he was dead and sent the coroner, who found him moaning and yelling. He lived, with concussion and some chest injury.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM

bargain biker is a decent person

I ordered this one from Ebay for about $50 shipped. I don't think its for stunts at all and not for 100mph driving, but should be a lot better than a foam mountain bike helmet.

Thanks in advance for any research help for motor bicycling helmets under $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM

minegames is a decent person

i was planning on doing a full review with this helmet, but..

the tms helmet i bought was a dirt cheap ebay win 20 usd with s+h. and it says made in china. so as a disclaimer: is it a genuine tms helmet? if it is, then the following applies. if not, then the following is INVALID. someone who bought a tms from a physical brick-and-mortar dealer will have a more reliable review.

---------------------------------------

the helmet has sort of a matte finish, no gloss or anything. so first thing to notice is that the paint chips easily. when you open up the vents, you can see the styrofoam inside..

what is more curious is that the helmet has very similar shape to the shoei rf-1100, with the same built-in spoiler. the quick release lid reminds me of the scorpion model, but is probably a hell of a lot harder to use.

upon removing the cheekpads, which are held in by velcro, and the lining, you notice the biggest caution: the interior is made of styrofoam. im no expert, but helmet styrofoam should be different from fish-packing styrofoam. take any reliable bike helmet and the inner lining foam has VERY little give, whereas the one in this TMS helmet is *clearly* cut straight from packing foam. oh, and the styrofoam isn't even one piece, it's two.

-------------------------------

conclusion: if this is a real TMS helmet, which i myself am doubtful, then a $40 bell bicycle helmet will be at least twice as effective. if you're still in doubt, go ahead and buy a tms, check the inner lining, and report your own results.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM

minegames is a decent person

oh, and by the way, from the NHTSA website:

DOT or NHTSA does not "approve" motorcycle helmets, thus, there is no list of "approved" helmets. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has the statutory authority to issue Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) applicable to motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment, including motorcycle helmets. The law establishes a self-certification process in which the motorcycle helmet manufacturers certify that their products are in compliance with FMVSS No. 218, which establishes minimum performance requirements that the products must meet. NHTSA enforces the standard by randomly selecting and purchasing motorcycle helmets from the marketplace and testing to the requirements of the standard at independent test labs.

---------------------------------------------

i.e., if you can't find TMS at a dealer, then the whole DOT certification is very much in doubt, since the only way DOT approval is enforced is with random tests with helmets IN THE MARKETPLACE
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 AM

Nialfire is a decent person

Ok here's my 2 cents.

Made in China lets take at look at this for a min, I bought a $30,000.00 Caterpillar skidsteer few years back and found that the engine and MANY other parts were made in china, well last week I purchased a 2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob took the seat off to ID the fuel pak and to no real surprise I found a large part of the parts in my new Harley were made in china. and I've heard the new big twin 96ci motor was made there as well.

here's my point, 10 years ago the idea of made in china was a different ball game but today some of the worlds best product come from china, all in the name of greed companies from across the world sent their technology to china for cheep manufacturing but what we failed to anticipate was that the Chinese are masters of copying and mass producing counterfeit produces with the same specs as the name brands there copied from.

Sorry to bust your "I paid more then U bubble" but many of the cheep knock-offs are made on the same assemble lines by the same china-men with the same surplus parts as the name brand stuff. In many cases the only difference is who's getting all the money, take away share holders / CEO / advertising / and on and on and on, how much do you really think it cost to manufacture your $400 helmet? try about $20 - $50 bucks.

The Japanese did it to after WWII, they were importing and selling TV's for less then it cost them to manufacture them, but then again try telling Sony that was a bad move now, the Chinese are now doing the same thing.

Rick.

Last edited by Nialfire; 08-25-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM

smallsgsxr is a decent person

Originally Posted by Talen
Whats the deal on these things? I mean how are these so f-ing cheap? Ive had Arai's and Shoei's then went cheaper to HJC and Icon to rash up during practice but whats the deal? Are these complete garbage? will they do a decent job while lot riding? If anyone has tried em please do tell. 10 bucks is insane!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-FULL-FACE-MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-CBR-F4i-R1-R6-GSX-R-L_W0QQitemZ310124000160QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApparel_ Merchandise?hash=item310124000160&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3 A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
yo wheres mny rad cage talen
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Flbassgod is a decent person

I've been thinking about giving these guys a try... anyone ride with these?

http://www.sparxhelmets.com/
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM

lincc252 is a decent person

Welcome to visit

http://www.bizboysell.com

Buy these fashionable products

Buy gifts and send

We accept paypal payments

and delivery is free.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
trz
Tank Danglers 4 life

trz is a decent person

Ill chime in on this old forum topic haha. I have rocked TMS in some lot when i started off and i also have ridden with this cuz i was to lazy to bring another lid and rode home and got in a wreck. This company actaully does hold up i also had a guy in the army with me who was a idiot on bikes and he bought a TMS and he wrecked on the why and it held up fine just like my SparX or KBC would.