Why Don't Stunters Wear Safety Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 AM

DsK.#1 is a decent person
Why Don't Stunters Wear Safety Gear?

I'm not a helmet ****, but all I see in alot of the stunt videos is guys stunting in nothing but helmets and maybe gloves as goes safety gear otherwise there dressed as you would walking down the street.

What's the deal with this are they trying to prove something like there "tougher" than the next stunter?
To me it just seems a little dumb, in which one scenario if you crashed with full gear on you could walk away unhurt and keep stunting. As if you'd got nothing but a helemt on, you'd get seriously hurt and be out from stunting for weeks or even months or even die maybe and basically cause yourself an injuiry that could of been avoided by wearing safety gear. I'm not saying safety gear will save you in every situation but the risk is significantly reduced of being injuired.

What is it with some stunters? I'm not generalising I know there's stunters out there which of course stunt always with gear. I'm just interested to know what the idea of "no gear" is?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Dobey1 is a decent person
Re: Why Don't Stunters Wear Safety Gear?

Originally Posted by DsK.#1
I'm not a helmet ****, but all I see in alot of the stunt videos is guys stunting in nothing but helmets and maybe gloves as goes safety gear otherwise there dressed as you would walking down the street.

What's the deal with this are they trying to prove something like there "tougher" than the next stunter?
To me it just seems a little dumb, in which one scenario if you crashed with full gear on you could walk away unhurt and keep stunting. As if you'd got nothing but a helemt on, you'd get seriously hurt and be out from stunting for weeks or even months or even die maybe and basically cause yourself an injuiry that could of been avoided by wearing safety gear. I'm not saying safety gear will save you in every situation but the risk is significantly reduced of being injuired.

What is it with some stunters? I'm not generalising I know there's stunters out there which of course stunt always with gear. I'm just interested to know what the idea of "no gear" is?
Who wants to look like a football player. Also this is why we call it stunte'n. You can't move all over the bike with pads. Doing combos with gear sucks and get in the way.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point

i allways wear my gear....but from what ive been told,in the lots not wearing a helmet gives you a better sense of things.....you can hear and see,witch makes it have a better feel...

but ive seen and heard about stupid crashes,and people getting hurt or killed due to no helmet....

so i always wear mine
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm the "toughest" cause i stunt with no shirt
Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 AM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

i'd say the biggest excuse you'll hear is it gets real hot and harder to manuever....

I only where lid, gloves, and back protector..... which in my eyes is enough for me, i don't much of anything real high speed, and if i do, i throw the jacket on.....

tuck and roll bit@hes , tuck and roll....
Old 08-15-2007, 11:36 AM
*Rockstar*

vertical_joe is an unknown quantity at this point

The smart guys wear gear. And the "no helmet gives you a better sense of things" is a pretty ridiculous statement!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DsK.#1
I'm not generalising
Yes you are.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Trentl40 is a decent person

Originally Posted by VerticalLimits
i'd say the biggest excuse you'll hear is it gets real hot and harder to manuever....

I only where lid, gloves, and back protector..... which in my eyes is enough for me, i don't much of anything real high speed, and if i do, i throw the jacket on.....

tuck and roll bit@hes , tuck and roll....
+1 most of the stuff we do is slow and all that Hot gear isnt really going to do alot in my opinion!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

Originally Posted by atl freestyle
i'm the "toughest" cause i stunt with no shirt
i thought that made you the sexiest......
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

theguy386 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wear lid, gloves, and knee pads
Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 AM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scott3824
Yes you are.
+1 i was gonna say that
Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM

samurai87 is a decent person

im waiting for the guy in the thong to tell what he wears hahahaha
Old 08-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point

I got out riding like every 5 minutes and I only ride stints of like 30-40 minutes per session. So it'd be a bitch to get all dressed up, go out ride, come back, get unchanged, soaked with sweat, and then later get all dressed up again (which takes quite some time) and then do this over and over and over again. I probably go out 4-5 times a day.

When I ride, at the minimum I wear:

- Long pants (usually some good jeans)
- A shirt (short sleeve is fine for me)
- Gloves (if you fall, your hands are likely to shoot towards the ground to save you)
- Helmet (for obvious reasons...)

My avatar shows me wearing short pants, but that was like one time and it was 100+ degrees out...

numberTWO is an unknown quantity at this point

In AZ heat, I think it might be more dangerous to stunt in a jacket and full gear than with just helmet and gloves. When you are out riding in 115 degrees for 4-6 hours you just wanna do whatever you can to keep cool. I personally don't like wearing a helmet when it's hot out, but if i'm doing fast combos or tryin something that is very technical that I don't have on lock, I always wear my helmet. And I do believe there is a huge difference when I do circles with and without a helmet on. It feels like I have more control over the bike when I don't have this big bulky thing on my head. I have seen three pretty bad accidents at over 40 mph in the last couple weeks, all with just helmet and gloves on and they got up with minor rash and that's it. I guess it just depends on the situation and rider. Ride safe everyone.

Lil Krazy is a decent person

I would like to have some knee pads. But when you spend all your money to keep your bike running its not easy to get gear when you gotta buy brake pads, clip ons, and every thing els. then you brake the ****. its never ending.
This sport is expensive
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM

theguy386 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lil Krazy
This sport is expensive
+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lil Krazy
I would like to have some knee pads. But when you spend all your money to keep your bike running its not easy to get gear when you gotta buy brake pads, clip ons, and every thing els. then you brake the ****. its never ending.
This sport is expensive

man i bought some knee pads from walmart for like 15 bucks, x-games style and there worth every penney. but i here you this **** gets expensive.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Lil Krazy is a decent person

See what i mean ill spend over 200 a week on my bike at least with gas water i could go on all day. iv been in a parking lot for about 7-8 months im learning hella fast but break stuff even faster.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM

PeterNoggin is a decent person

Well i wear a cup ha ha ha ha ha
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vertical_joe
The smart guys wear gear. And the "no helmet gives you a better sense of things" is a pretty ridiculous statement!

again....

from what ive been told,in the lots not wearing a helmet gives you a better sense of things....

so as you can see by my avatar..i didnt listen to that statment.....

Quick Reply: Why Don't Stunters Wear Safety Gear?