NEED advice on buying a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM

evanr821 is an unknown quantity at this point
NEED advice on buying a bike!

Ok well i already have a bike but here's my dilemma. My friend has his heart SET on getting a GSX-R just because he thinks their the best. I can't argue because i dont know. I have an R6. He's never owned a bike period and has the experience of riding my friends 636 around the block a few times. He wants a GSX-R 750. Is that a good bike to get as a FIRST bike? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Im gonna print this out and give him your advice. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 PM

905_Rider is a decent person
Re: NEED advice on buying a bike!

HELL NO!!!!.... a gsxr 750 isnt a great starter bike... hell, a 600 is a great learner bike... however, that being said, if hes not an idiot then he CAN start on a 750 without becoming a **** stain on the side of a truck... also, you need to set him straight on the fact that its impossible to say which motorcycle is the best... only what is best for you... everyone has a different riding style and skill set... as a beginner he doesnt have the ability to know what his riding style and skill level is...
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM

*BeNnEtT* is a decent person

If your buddy is buying a NEW gsxr 750, Id have to say go for it. The newer gsxrs have 3 different modes that you can run them in. You can actually cut the power down by 20% or 40%. But personally i would never buy a new bike for my first bike.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM

CHADf is an unknown quantity at this point

tell him to buy a POS cause he's gonna wreck it.

braapppppp!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

evanr821 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think he said it was an 07 gsxr. ive only ridden a friends 04 GSXR 1000 for about a half hour. other than that i dont know much about gsxrs at all. ive only had a honda and yamaha. im on my 2nd yamaha now.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM

lil-m8ie is a decent person

What ever he gets, new generation bikes are very deceaving, so smooth & fast, in inexperienced hands very deadly, it only takes a split second & its game over, start out smaller & work his way up.
speed dosent kill its the sudden impact that does!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 AM
www.Xtreme-Stunts.com

Xtreme-Stunts is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is his first bike ever, let him get used 600. He is more then likely to drop it and the replacement parts cost an arm and a leg.

Moreover, once he used to it a bit, gear it shorter and he will have loads of fun!!!

Make sure he buys all the proper safety gear!!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 AM

Retro is a decent person

Originally Posted by *BeNnEtT*
If your buddy is buying a NEW gsxr 750, Id have to say go for it. The newer gsxrs have 3 different modes that you can run them in. You can actually cut the power down by 20% or 40%. But personally i would never buy a new bike for my first bike.
Only the new 1000's has the a,b, and c modes the 600 and 750 do not.fyi
a 600 is a good starter bike, the 750 is pushing it.
He's never had a sport bike before?
He may want to work his way up from a 600cc or he could get hurt just riding the bike home from the dealership without at least some riding experience he's taking a big risk .
A good 600 is all you need. imo

p.s. wear as much protective gear as you can.

Last edited by Retro; 04-19-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM

Retro is a decent person

oops. my bad the new gsxr 600 and 750's do have the modes,
I was wrong *BeNnEtT* . sorry about that.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

friends dont let friends ride gsxr's... esp after I watched a MINT 06 gix 1000 break completely in half at 60 mph.... for no reason at all, last laborday weekend...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM

chadnine is a decent person

get a big cc bike that way he's not sick of it in 6 months .your screwed at 150 mph just like your screwed at 190mph.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:55 PM

cojack42o is a decent person

get a used bike first.. not worth dropping a brand new bike your still paying for
Old 05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by chadnine
get a big cc bike that way he's not sick of it in 6 months .your screwed at 150 mph just like your screwed at 190mph.
are you ******* serious thats the worst advice ever
Originally Posted by cojack42o
get a used bike first.. not worth dropping a brand new bike your still paying for
+1 especially if he plans on stunting it.

a 750 is not a good bike to learn on, he needs a 600.

all newer bikes are the same, there is no superior bike. the only thing that influences people on which new bike to buy is the price and the looks.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Solitude is a decent person

I started street on my '07 750... would totally suggest it... would suggest a 600 for total noobs, but but then again I'm not a tard... and haven't even come close to getting hurt yet.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Solitude
I started street on my '07 750... would totally suggest it... would suggest a 600 for total noobs, but but then again I'm not a tard... and haven't even come close to getting hurt yet.
you better knock on wood
Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Solitude is a decent person

Originally Posted by stock05
you better knock on wood
Haha I know... Not really stunting this bike... doin wheelies, but I'm gonna save up n buy a used stunt-ready bike to go nuts on.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 AM

TK954RR is a decent person

This advice was posted elsewhere, but i really thought it was some of the best advice i have seen. Its talking about a 1000, but it still fits here.

Some of you people just don't get it, do you? It isn't always a choice to 'use it'. It's a question of muscle memory, of countless experiences, of hours upon hours of seat time. And even then - as with most things - you never, ever stop learning. Learning to ride a motorcycle- and learning to ride it right - isn't something you can think your way through. Rationalization only gets you so far. There's no substitute for experience. And until you have a solid foundation of experience, you're going to hurt yourself on a big bike - either directly (ie getting fucked up), or indirectly (ie slowing your learning curve).

To ANYONE considering a 1000, of all bikes, as their first, keep in mind it's the posers and newbies alone who are the ones saying "you'll be fine on a 1000". They say it because they don't have enough experience to know any better. They don't know any better because they're either not interested in becoming better riders, haven't had the time to, or don't know how to. Because if they were interested in improving their abilities, and knew how to go about it, common sense would mandate that they start off on a smaller bike!

What these posers ARE interested in is being seen on the baddest bike off the showroom floor. And that they are... seen with squared off tires, seen with ridiculous riding posture, seen with lots of crash damage, and seen getting passed by the 250s & SVs on a regular basis. Sometimes seen dead or maimed. Rarely seen at the track (and when they are - it's in the slow group, holding everyone up).

I don't know about you... but 'fun' to me means striving to become a fast, skilled rider, on whatever bike I'm on. Fun does not mean being the guy that's so untalented that he's able to make Suzuki's flagship sportbike look slow. Fun is passing the poser on a 1K using a much smaller bike. Fun is not being the guy on the 1000 being passed.

Personally speaking, If I were looking to get involved in a new sport or activity (let's say skydiving, for instance, which I believe is statistically less dangerous that motorcycling)... I wouldn't ask the guy with 1 tandem jump under his belt for advice. I'd ask the instructor. Wouldn't you? Or would you trust your life and your enjoyment of the sport to the newbie who doesn't know any more than you do?

Well, I GUARANTEE that if you go to any racetrack, trackday, or riding school, and ask any seasoned racer, track vet, or instructor... they'll tell you that starting on a 1000 is not to your benefit, for a number of reasons. Shouldn't those be the people you'd want to listen to? The people that really care about your safety, that really want you to become better, faster... the people who really know what they're talking about.

Who are you going to listen to? The people with the experience to know what's really best for you, or the scumbag salesman at the dealership that couldn't give a **** whether you live or die, so long as he collects his commission? Are you going to listen to the majority of seasoned riders on this board that have the intelligence, experience, and common sense necessary to suggest the best course of action, or the minority of idiots that think being able to ride in a straight line makes them accomplished experts?

I'm usually pretty mellow - but it seriously pisses me off when screwballs suggest a 1000 as being a good beginners bike. They're either too ******* dumb to know any better - or so ******* careless and irresponsible that they're willing to jeapordize someone else's safety just to see their own dipshit comments in print. Either way, if they had any sense, they'd realize they don't know what the hell they're talking about, and keep their traps shut.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by TK954RR
This advice was posted elsewhere, but i really thought it was some of the best advice i have seen. Its talking about a 1000, but it still fits here.

Some of you people just don't get it, do you? It isn't always a choice to 'use it'. It's a question of muscle memory, of countless experiences, of hours upon hours of seat time. And even then - as with most things - you never, ever stop learning. Learning to ride a motorcycle- and learning to ride it right - isn't something you can think your way through. Rationalization only gets you so far. There's no substitute for experience. And until you have a solid foundation of experience, you're going to hurt yourself on a big bike - either directly (ie getting fucked up), or indirectly (ie slowing your learning curve).

To ANYONE considering a 1000, of all bikes, as their first, keep in mind it's the posers and newbies alone who are the ones saying "you'll be fine on a 1000". They say it because they don't have enough experience to know any better. They don't know any better because they're either not interested in becoming better riders, haven't had the time to, or don't know how to. Because if they were interested in improving their abilities, and knew how to go about it, common sense would mandate that they start off on a smaller bike!

What these posers ARE interested in is being seen on the baddest bike off the showroom floor. And that they are... seen with squared off tires, seen with ridiculous riding posture, seen with lots of crash damage, and seen getting passed by the 250s & SVs on a regular basis. Sometimes seen dead or maimed. Rarely seen at the track (and when they are - it's in the slow group, holding everyone up).

I don't know about you... but 'fun' to me means striving to become a fast, skilled rider, on whatever bike I'm on. Fun does not mean being the guy that's so untalented that he's able to make Suzuki's flagship sportbike look slow. Fun is passing the poser on a 1K using a much smaller bike. Fun is not being the guy on the 1000 being passed.

Personally speaking, If I were looking to get involved in a new sport or activity (let's say skydiving, for instance, which I believe is statistically less dangerous that motorcycling)... I wouldn't ask the guy with 1 tandem jump under his belt for advice. I'd ask the instructor. Wouldn't you? Or would you trust your life and your enjoyment of the sport to the newbie who doesn't know any more than you do?

Well, I GUARANTEE that if you go to any racetrack, trackday, or riding school, and ask any seasoned racer, track vet, or instructor... they'll tell you that starting on a 1000 is not to your benefit, for a number of reasons. Shouldn't those be the people you'd want to listen to? The people that really care about your safety, that really want you to become better, faster... the people who really know what they're talking about.

Who are you going to listen to? The people with the experience to know what's really best for you, or the scumbag salesman at the dealership that couldn't give a **** whether you live or die, so long as he collects his commission? Are you going to listen to the majority of seasoned riders on this board that have the intelligence, experience, and common sense necessary to suggest the best course of action, or the minority of idiots that think being able to ride in a straight line makes them accomplished experts?

I'm usually pretty mellow - but it seriously pisses me off when screwballs suggest a 1000 as being a good beginners bike. They're either too ******* dumb to know any better - or so ******* careless and irresponsible that they're willing to jeapordize someone else's safety just to see their own dipshit comments in print. Either way, if they had any sense, they'd realize they don't know what the hell they're talking about, and keep their traps shut.
like someone is really going to take the time to read all this ****
Old 05-26-2008, 05:27 AM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

yea wtf dude wrote out a essay ..

let ur friend do whatever he wants. jesus
if he wants to get a 1000 let him. just dont be suprised if and when he dumps that ****.

after my 1st street crash i learned biggie and didnt make the same mistake again so far