>> 2000 Yamaha R1 Owners Watch Out << Yamaha Buyback

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM

anabolicrick is an unknown quantity at this point
>> 2000 Yamaha R1 Owners Watch Out << Yamaha Buyback

A buddy of mine sent me his original post on R1 Forums.com

Got a letter dated November 26, 2007 from Yamaha Motor Corp, USA, Cypress, California. today 11-30-07.

Our analysis of your YZFR1M-L Yamaha motorcycle with the VIN number xxxxx indicates that it was sold in California without being certified as meeting all California emissions standards for a new motor vehicle. Your motorcycle's emissions were certified to meet Federal emissions standards. However, due to the severe air quality issues of the State of California, motorcycles sold in California must meet more stringent standards than those sold in other states.

When your motorcycle was initially sold in California it was improperly registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV"). It is possible that at some point the DMV may refuse to re-register your motorcycle (VC 4750(c)). As a result, the Attorney General's office entered into discussions with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. to determine if there was any way that Yamaha could help remedy this situation.

Because of its appreciation and concern for you as a Yamaha motorcycle owner, Yamaha has voluntarily agreed to undertake a program to assist you. The Attorney General's office appreciates the support offered by Yamaha to aid in this situation.

The terms of the program offered by Yamaha are attached to this letter. If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact Yamaha directly at the number and address indicated in the attachment.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Group
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

Below is the attachment.

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A.
KATELLA AVENUE
CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA 90630-5101

800-962-7926

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A. CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM November 26, 2007

1. Contact Yamaha by calling 1-888-874-4876. Please be ready to provide your name, your address, your contact telephone number, your motorcycle model and model year, and your motorcycle's Vehicle ldentification Number ("'VIN").*

2. Yamaha will arrange to have a representative review your motorcycle in person.

3. Yamaha will use a starting valuation for your motorcycle of the average between the high and low prices for your motorcycle as provided in www.nadaguides.com. Yamaha will then adjust its offer based upon the condition of your motorcycle, the mileage on your motorcycle and any accessories that you have added to your motorcycle.

4. Upon completion of the evaluation, Yamaha will provide you with a written price at which Yamaha will offer to purchase your motorcycle.

5. If you accept Yamaha's offer, Yamaha will work with you to obtain possession of the motorcycle in return for a check to you for the motorcycle. You will need to provide clear title to Yamaha for the motorcycle, so any payment to you will be reduced by any monies that have to be paid to finance companies or other entities that may have a lien on your motorcycle.

6. If you do not accept Yamaha's offer, then you may continue to use your motorcycle. You may, however, contact Yamaha, at a later date to determine if this Customer* Assistance Program is still available to you. If the Program is still available to you, then Yamaha will go through the same steps to determine a new offer to you at the time that you ask Yamaha for this second request.

7. Should you have any questions, please contact Yamaha at 1-888-874-4876.

Ok....with all that said and done.
I purchased my bike brand new from San Jose Yamaha back in late 2000. I did a little research on the net and I found this information.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr121605.htm

http://www.caprep.com/1205034.htm

http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen.../862669-1.html

Now I know the reason I got this letter from Yamaha, I have one of the bikes from
South Seas Cycle Exchange of Honolulu, HI.

What a pain in the ***. I wont be able to register the bike next year because it will get black listed with the DMV.