noob with a gixxer -- plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 08:43 AM

PETe P is a decent person
Re: noob with a gixxer -- plz help!

Originally Posted by Duffman
with car oil, you may get clutch slippage and you may not, but why chance it? motorcycle oil isn't killing my wallet and im a cheap ***. also buy a bottle of water wetter from a local autostore and follow instructions on the back, should help with the cooling probs.

and in az there is down time, its called summer, seriously. in phoenix my bike has overheated at night.
no dout duffman keep the car oil out! i work in a bike shop it's the most frequently asked question, hey if they wanna run car oil let it be cause thats how i make my money. thats kinda what i thought that the summer time is too hot. whats like an average summer time temp. i'm a northern boy our summer hotest might maybe get to the high 90's
Old 02-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

Water wetter knocks my temp way down esp. on hot track day's.
NO to reg. motor oil
Old 02-06-2005, 01:36 AM

gixxer_mark is an unknown quantity at this point

okay... word on srad gixxers.... the run hot, usually around 200-220, so don't sweat it.... just do a good cooling system flush and put in new juice mixed 50/50.... use partial synthetic, not full.... DON'T use car oil.... full synth. and car oil CAN cause clutch problems.... with proper care your gixxer is almost bullet proof, i've street beat and track day'd and club raced many gixxers to 40,000 + miles WITHOUT engine rebuilds.... i've had 14 gixxers since 1986.... i usually only get rid of one 'cause i WANT a new one or i've wadded up the old one....

oh yeah, srad gixxers in 98-99 had a lot of cam chain tensioner problems and there was a factory recall on them to have them replaced, but the replacement wasn't really any better so if you get a funny ticking under idle in the front of the engine, tha's usually the problem.... dirty oil and lack of oil changes tends to speed up the process of the tensioner going bad....

good luck with your ride and there's lots of good advice on gixxer.com but there's also lots of ****** over there too....
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM

man i had an f2 along time ago that was also notorius for the cam chain tensionor goin they make alot of racket, i just got the adjustable one it was like 90 bucks installed.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:21 AM

FREESTYLEKYLE is a decent person

just use dot3 brake fluid, it works for anything!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
rUu

rUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of light

oh yeah, srad gixxers in 98-99 had a lot of cam chain tensioner problems and there was a factory recall on them to have them replaced, but the replacement wasn't really any better so if you get a funny ticking under idle in the front of the engine, tha's usually the problem.... dirty oil and lack of oil changes tends to speed up the process of the tensioner going bad....
MAN! good lookin' out on that one. I have a little bit of that going on. It almost sounds like an engine knock.

So I guess the verdict is in. Car oil is teh suck in bikes. I'm going to try some of that water wetter stuff. New juices would probably be a good idea once it starts getting warmer.

Thx for all the kickass info. I'm gonna go out w/ELEVEN and try to get some wheelie pics today. \m/
Old 02-06-2005, 11:28 AM
rUu

rUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of lightrUu is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah, one more thing--

just use dot3 brake fluid, it works for anything!
He uses that **** for mouthwash
Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 AM

oh if your gonna be usin lots of brake i would personaly use dot5 with steel lines absolutly no fade, never ever. that dot3 is cool but dot5 is much better it holds up to heat.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
rUu

Word. This isn't exactly a light bike, either.

I'm totally going to check into that cam chain tensioner. I couldn't figure out wtf that knocking was. It almost sounded like a loose piece of bodywork.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Nice avatar! when are you gunna make mine?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:01 PM

m_bishop is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing NO ONE seemed to say is TAKE IT TO A BIKE SHOP!

I respect anyone that feels they should know thier bike well enough to change thier own oil, tires, ect...

but, you obviously don't know anything about bikes, and even if this board has managed to answer all your questions perfectly, what about the questions you didn't know enough to ask??

I would take the bike in for inspection and ask them to look over it. If they come back saying it *NEEDS* a new 1000$ part, then get a second opinion, but a professional is more likely to catch a leak, or a weird ticking noise, or air in the breaks, than you are.

It's a used bike, and you just don't know where it's been, or what's been done to it. It might cost you 100$, but it could save you the price of another bike.

that's my two cents.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 PM

good point
Old 02-07-2005, 06:30 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

not a bad investment. We charge about $60 for a "checkup" Definately worth the $$. Take it to a trustworthy shop.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:30 PM
rUu

Yeah, it's had a quick look-over from a professional.

Nothing too serious, just enough to make sure it's safe to ride. He didn't really take it out and ride it, though. He hasn't had it up through the mountains w/his *** on fire. Stuff like that.

I was thinking of taking it in for a full service, though. That was the next thing on my list before I fix the body and paint it. I mean, the milage is getting up there, it seems like the right thing to do.

OM rocks, btw :YEAH
Old 02-11-2005, 07:58 AM

well i'm glad to see you got it out judging by the avatar. the front brakes work. i believe thats called reckless driving. just playin around good luck with her.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 PM
rUu

lol. yeah ty.

it held up long enough for me to do some stoppies.

i did a wheelie or six, but somebody told me it was horrible, and i took it off my avatar.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:46 AM

most of them are crap in the begining anyway don't sweat it
Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 AM

they were wheelies!

but your right dr.spot, they're usually garbage at first!