Question for Military Persons'

Old 07-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Gelfreak91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question for Military Persons'

This previous weekend I was at the Michigan Monster Game (Paintball event). During the lunch break I ended up speaking with a Naval Recruiter...I've always thought of how exciting it'd be being in the armed forces, but I've always weighed the cost of life to be more important. After recently becoming unemployed (although money not an issue) I've been re-evaluating myself and wonder if the armed forces might be good for me and self disipline. The reason I make this post is to get your opinion...how has the armed forces effected you? Did it change you in anyway for the good or bad, would you do it all over, and was it worth it? Any other comments you like to add would be fine. I go sit down with the recruiter on Wensday ...oh ps we talked about going into Buds training. I'm pretty sure what he called it...
Old 07-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Regular StuntLifer

JOKER_OF_FFX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Question for Military Persons'

Originally Posted by Gelfreak91
This previous weekend I was at the Michigan Monster Game (Paintball event). During the lunch break I ended up speaking with a Naval Recruiter...I've always thought of how exciting it'd be being in the armed forces, but I've always weighed the cost of life to be more important. After recently becoming unemployed (although money not an issue) I've been re-evaluating myself and wonder if the armed forces might be good for me and self disipline. The reason I make this post is to get your opinion...how has the armed forces effected you? Did it change you in anyway for the good or bad, would you do it all over, and was it worth it? Any other comments you like to add would be fine. I go sit down with the recruiter on Wensday ...oh ps we talked about going into Buds training. I'm pretty sure what he called it...
The navy is alright. It's not for everyone. For me it's not that bad. If I didn't join, I would probably failed out college and paying the student loans for a long time. Did the navy change me? I would say somewhat. It's what you make of the navy. If you come in with a bad attitude, you're going to hate it. Make sure you do your research for jobs before you go to meps and pick a job. There are some many good jobs and alot of $hitty jobs. DON'T SIGN UP FOR ANY APPRENTICE JOBS! Make sure you have a job before you sign those papers. Also there's a 20% chance you will make it through buds. good luck.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person

What the heck is buds?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:22 PM

ssgtlittle is an unknown quantity at this point

do what you got to do. I would suggest that you check out other services. I work in Livonia, MI as a Non Commissioned Officer in Charge of a recruiting sub-station. Give me a holla and I'll talk to you about the services. My wife who is a rider can talk to you about the Navy. She has been in for a little over 7 years. I will tell you that service is not for everyone and you need to be going in for the right reasons only. I will tell you one more thing about the BUDS **** it's a crock of ****. All that program for is to make you believe that you have a chance in hell at getting into the SEALS. Sorry to bust your bubble but all they are trying to is get you to join. If you want to talk call my office (734) 425-7020. Ask for Staff Sergeant Little. I've been stuntin for 4 and ridin for 10 got no reason to bs you. good luck either which way.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Gelfreak91 is an unknown quantity at this point

What the heck is buds?
"SEAL training is a process that begins with the basic conditioning phase of BUD/S. Training involves not only intense physical conditioning but also maneuvers that instill the values of teamwork and trust. " Copy and pasted from www.navy.com/seals
Old 07-27-2004, 05:31 PM

blur1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Bro, just to let you know, i was in your EXACT situation about two years ago. I joined the Marine Corps and have loved every minute. I looked into the navy and the seal program and it is true, all the recuiter is trying to do is get you. All BUDS is, is a recruiting tool. I walked into the Marine Corps Recruiting station already signed up in my head. The recruiter started talking and i was just like "OK Please save your breath and tell me where to sign" I joined to get a new start. I was getting into alot of trouble and i didnt want that. The Marine Corps changed me alot, the discipline i have now is unbeleivable, and i have become VERY succesful and i have only been in for two years. I dont want to do the typical bashing of other services but there is definetly a huge difference between The Marine Corps and all the other services. I really urge you to at least look into the Marine Corps before you sign. I dont think you'll regret it. Good Luck and Semper Fi
-Cpl Kinsey-
Please if you have ANY questions contact me. I will be more than happy to help in any way.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:54 PM

2 years and a Cpl already....GTG.

If you looked on the Navy.com website what you found was the recruiting tool. The .com websites are the sites that tell you what you want to hear (because they are paid for sites, just like www.Marines.com) not the real information that you'll find on the .mil websites. Check out www.usmc.mil Lots of good info. You got my info in the reply above. Drop me a call.

Hey Cpl, give me a call at the same number or you can reach me at (888) 770-8390.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 PM

N-Ish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bro, just wanted to add my 2 cents into the whole military thing, I got out of the Marines last Oct. Over all I'd say it was a good experience.... Like the guy said before make sure you pick a good job.. one that you want, and one that you can use if you decide to get out. Good Luck
I think my experiene changed me for the better.. Like everything else, if you have to go in with a good attitude and you'll enjoy it..
Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 PM

I would say look for an MOS that will transfer over to a civilian position when you get out. Having a specialized job on a submarine sure sounds cool know, but what can you do with your trainin when you do get out? Same goes for being a grunt in the Corps.

I chose communications electronics maintence (microwave tech) and theres plenty of jobs for me when I get out, seeing as how all cell phone companies use microwave towers.

Something to think about
Old 07-27-2004, 10:37 PM

Also, I would wait until Bush is gone to join.....you never know where that ASSHAT might send you.. and if you get out.. you won't have any benefits to speak of....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21Godtypo.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	90346  
Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 PM

i wouldnt say no benifits, the Montgomery GI bill will be there forever!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Angel Of Death
i wouldnt say no benifits, the Montgomery GI bill will be there forever!
ok some benifits.. but remember.. you have 10yrs to use the G.I. Bill..
Old 07-28-2004, 12:45 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally Posted by Angel Of Death
I would say look for an MOS that will transfer over to a civilian position when you get out. Having a specialized job on a submarine sure sounds cool know, but what can you do with your trainin when you do get out? Same goes for being a grunt in the Corps.

I chose communications electronics maintence (microwave tech) and theres plenty of jobs for me when I get out, seeing as how all cell phone companies use microwave towers.

Something to think about
If you look at the SRB the guys get for being on subs you would be suprise. They get about $45,000 for re-enlistment. Why? They can make double that in the civilian world.

As far as Bush goes, The navy want to get rid of 7,000 bodies this year. So if your EAS or EAOS is next year you can route a chit for early seperation. If you're an army guy and you're reading this, this will **** you off.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:08 PM

Katanaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 07-28-2004, 04:20 PM

blur1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ssgtlittle
Hey Cpl, give me a call at the same number or you can reach me at (888) 770-8390.

Aye Staff Seargent! LOL I actually did try to call but it didnt go through. Do you have a DSN number?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by blur1
Aye Staff Seargent! LOL I actually did try to call but it didnt go through. Do you have a DSN number?
No...we don't have DSN out here on recruiting. the numbers should work, don't know why they didn't. Try again.

S/F
Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 PM

Coastie is an unknown quantity at this point

Or....you could always Join the US Coast Guard. There is a very slim chance you will go overseas where some muslim extremeist wants to blow your head off. You get to drive around on some really cool boats, and be the best dressed Mother****er on the water. Did I mention TONS OF *****.
**** go reserves, one weekend a month two weeks a year, and even the reservists get TONS OF *****. So join up, **** with drug dealers, kick some cuban migrant *** and get TONS OF *****!!

P.s before all you marines and army fools want to call me a ***** for being in the coast guard, I make more than your e-6's as an E-3, I work two days on two days off and everyother weekend and Im stationed in the Hamptons.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Coastie
Or....you could always Join the US Coast Guard. There is a very slim chance you will go overseas where some muslim extremeist wants to blow your head off. You get to drive around on some really cool boats, and be the best dressed Mother****er on the water. Did I mention TONS OF *****.
**** go reserves, one weekend a month two weeks a year, and even the reservists get TONS OF *****. So join up, **** with drug dealers, kick some cuban migrant *** and get TONS OF *****!!

P.s before all you marines and army fools want to call me a ***** for being in the coast guard, I make more than your e-6's as an E-3, I work two days on two days off and everyother weekend and Im stationed in the Hamptons.

that's cool that you make more $$$ then us.. but please don't compare your
uniforms with ours...
there isn't NO WAY they are better then our dress blues...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 PM

erion_rider is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Bro I know that you are probably tired of hearing it by now but you will just have to listen one more time. Make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons adn look at all of the diffrent services for what you want. Diffrent services are better for alot of diffrent reasons. You said that you want alot of discipline and excitement well it sounds like you are ready to sign up for the Marine Corps. I have been in the Marines for 4 years adn let me tell you that you have never been respected like you will after you become a Marine especially when you go back home or when you start applying for jobs and doing interviews. You may want to rethink the Navy even though you say that Money dosen't matter the navy ranks do not advance as fast as some of the other services and my thinking on that is if you are going to be doing the time you midas well get paid for it. Take for example I made E-5/Sgt in the Marine Corps in 3 years you will be hard pressed to find any job in the Navy that will advance that fast. So think it over and use your head, find a job in the Military that will crossover into the civilian world.
Semper Fi
Old 07-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Regular StuntLifer

I agree with what he said above. Certain rates(Jobs fields) in the navy don't advance well. The rate I'm in used to be 100% advancement then as the rate was filling up, advancement went down, but I know a couple guys who made E-6 under 5years. Make sure you do your research before making decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for Military Persons'