Filming from an airplane gone bad - Crashed

Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
D-Aces Stunt Pimp

dAcesCory is an unknown quantity at this point
Filming from an airplane gone bad - Crashed

I normally would not post something like this but for some reason I feel compelled to do so. It was one of the hardest things in my life I had to deal with.

Last night I hired a guy, Bill, to take a buddy of mine, Dan Heindl, up in an ultra-light (very small airplane) to do some filming. He has been flying for 5 years. After 5 minutes of filming on a back road, the utlra-light hit a power line. It instantly flipped upside down and smashed into a field(still upside down), it went down very hard. At first, I was just confused, it did not seem real. As soon as I comprehended what just happened, I knew it was serious and I had my girlfriend call 911 immediately. I ran to the field and found Bill trapped under the plane, unconscious and twitching. His face was pressed into the thick grass and he was not breathing very well(smashed nose). I did not want to move his neck but cleared what I could of the grass for him to breath. I also heard Dan on the other side(I could not see him at first) yelling for help. Dan was pinned in the plane but was able to get free quickly. I went back to Bill and now noticed that the gas tank was leaking less than a foot from his head but draining away from him. I was quite sure it was not going to ignite, the engine was off. I wanted to get the plane off of him but could not because he was on top of one of the plane supports and did not want to move his neck. Other traffic was now just standing and watching from the road and I yelled franticly for help. Several people came running. Together, I supported and lifted his head while they lifted the plane. We only lifted it a few inches, just so he could breath better and get him out of his puddle of blood. He stopped breathing once but he came back. It took a while for the paramedics and flight for life to get there. When they did arrive, they insisted that we all back away immediately because of the power line that was on the plane(it had no power to it). It was not an option for me to let his head go at this time anymore. They then wanted to hastily flip the plane over, which would have violently tossed Bill around. They did then cut the seat belt strap and the steel plane supports to get the plane off him. At this point the paramedics took over and thankfully got him breathing well.

Dan was released from the hospital with no serious injuries but is very sore. Bill on the other hand is still unconscious in ICU and has a broken hip and wrist and has many facial cuts. They said Bill has no brain, spine or internal damage. Bills plane was also destroyed.

The police confiscated my camera and my bike for the time being for evidence. I have no idea what will happen. They said that I will get everything back and will be charged. Charged with what I do not know.

I am very thankful that I was able to handle the situation calmly and with a clear head, I did what many others could not do. I think it is sad that many people will be too close-minded to see past what THEY see me as, "a outlaw stunt rider". I am a successful business owner that has learned a skill on a motorcycle that most could never do, not to mention the hundreds of other skills I have taught myself in running this business. I am ALWAYS very safety conscious, in every situation. To the average eye, this sport looks very dangerous and reckless. I have trained myself for 9 years now in this sport and truly feel with all the safety measures I take it is no more dangerous than any other sport. This was a sad accident, I hope Bill recovers fully and quickly.

www.d-aces.com
Old 08-24-2005, 04:45 PM

WRooster250F is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Filming from an airplane gone bad - Crashed

wow Cory, that is some crazy ****. its amazing how fast a good, fun situation can just turn bad. I wish Bill well.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough

Good luck bro, I'm very sorry to hear about your friends. I hope them a speedy recovery. Hopefully the "charges" they have in mind will be bullshhht. You'd have to be one hell of a puppetmaster to be responsible for what happened from the ground on a bike.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:50 PM

BLONDE BOMBER is an unknown quantity at this point

damn thats some crazy ****..... good thing you were thinking clearly and did everything you could do to help them out!! props to you bro

I hope Bill gets better... he'll be in my prayers and I hope Dan heals up quick

WTF is up with the cops wanting to charge you with something .... thats not cool at all
Old 08-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough

I'm a pilot myself, and honestly don't know what they can charge you with. Although hiring out an ultra-light has some commercial value, and unless Bill is a commercial pilot with a charter certificate, he's the one that could face fines etc.. from the FAA if anything. Hope Bill heals up soon and returns back to normal status.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear the news. I hope that he recovers quickly and everything turns out ok.

As far as the legality of the flight pertaining to the laws laid out by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) it was deviating in two areas. The first is that the ultra-light should only be operated with one occupant (FAR 103.1(a)) and the second is that the ultralight may not be operated in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons or property (FAR 103.9(a)). These would be against the pilot of the plane but I dont know if these can be applied to you seeing that you had him filming for you. If you would like a copy of all the regulations pertaining to the ultralights let me know.

As far as what Erik said it I dont think that it applies to ultralights because the operaters are not required to have licences.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Mr Weber is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry to hear that Cory, and I hope everything goes well for U! I wish Bill a speedy recovery, and keep us posted on these B.S. charges!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 AM

1MileCrash is an unknown quantity at this point

dude i saw it on tv this morning. i'm disgusted and appauled at they way they approached it. from what i could see they were blaming you for everything that happened. Dan was claiming it was a freak accident.

we're prayin for Bill's recovery and also that Johnny Law doesn't throw the book at you for quite literally no good reason.

man...first thing i thought of when i heard that before they dropped the name was "huh...i wonder if i know the guy...?"

good luck to you and Bill man. keep us updated with straight forward facts instead of the cops slanted P.O.V.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:50 AM

gnu_68 is an unknown quantity at this point

By Jessica Bock
For the Daily Tribune
A 48-year-old rural Marathon man remained hospitalized and in critical condition Wednesday as sheriff's investigators continue to investigate a small-plane crash earlier this week.

The man, William J. Heil, was flying an ultralight plane in the vicinity of Highway P and Still Hill Road near Marathon when it hit a power line and crashed into a field at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, the Marathon County Sheriff's Department said.
A passenger in the plane, Daniel L. Heindl, 34, of Kronenwetter, was filming a friend doing motorcycle stunts on the road below at the time of the crash.

Deputies obtained a copy of the film, and cited the motorcyclist, Cory Kufahl, 23, of Wausau, for several violations, including reckless driving, the Sheriff's Department said. Kufahl had hired Heil to fly above him while his friend filmed him.

More charges stemming from the crash are possible, Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski said.

Heil remains at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield. Heindl suffered only minor injuries.

In the past, a license was not required to fly an ultralight plane, said Elizabeth Isham Cory, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration. Since last September, however, pilots of some ultralight planes have been required to have training, she said. It depends on the size and weight of the plane.

"We saw more and more of (those types of) aircraft out there and wanted put some rules in place," she said.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Ninja1015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cory, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope everything goes well, and a speedy recovery to those that are hurt.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

cory---sorry to hear about this...definately a setback, hope the operator of the plane comes out alright

and since when are you only 23 years old?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:38 PM

MWB BIGMIKE is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope your friend is ok. And things work out for him.

What a load of BS. Punk Cops. I cannot believe the crap they pull. Our buddy jesse crashed in a parking lot breaking his leg, they cited him for wreckless driving. My point is, no matter how safe we try and make this sport, as soon as something goes wrong we will still be **** on.

Sorry to hear about all this corey, especially after the awesome 360 stoppie had you riding so high.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Wheelieboi

extremeflip is an unknown quantity at this point

cory, sorry to hear what happened, i hope bill fully recovers. about the camera, myself and friends were taping one day and got called in. the cops saw us doing ****, and must have seen the camera, becuase they asked for it. it was either get tickets there and then, or give them the tape. we havent reiceved any tickets, hopefully you wont.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:17 AM

RIDEit?STUNTit! is a decent person

cory,
that sux dude. its been all over the news. i hope they don't try to screw you too bad. you know they are gonna screw you its just a matter of severe. i kinda have the feeling that now WReX, crash411, and everyone else on a bike in central Wisconsin is gonna get fu@#ed with. cops are gonna try like hell to stops us from riddin' now. FTP!!!!!!!!!!! i really hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:34 PM
D-Aces Stunt Pimp

dAcesCory is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been talking with Bill's brother. He said Bill is progressing slowly but there is not too much new news. It is comforting to know that Bill has a loving family that is by his side through all of this. We all wish the best for Bill and his family and hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 AM

1MileCrash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dAcesCory
I have been talking with Bill's brother. He said Bill is progressing slowly but there is not too much new news. It is comforting to know that Bill has a loving family that is by his side through all of this. We all wish the best for Bill and his family and hope for a speedy recovery.
True dat. if one good thing is to come of this it's showing the love and strength of family.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! i wish you the best of luck with the charges! also hope bill recovers 100%

have you gotten your bike or camera back at all yet?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 AM

Johnny Honda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Cory, sorry this had to happen to you and your friends. If there is anything we ( Crash 411) can do to help you let Know. We got your back Brah.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

that sucks....
Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 AM

shepdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW cory thats shitty!!!! best of luck to bill and his family glad to here your camera man is all good!!!!!!!

Neal

Quick Reply: Filming from an airplane gone bad - Crashed