Scratched fork tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM

-Eirik- is an unknown quantity at this point
Scratched fork tube

Got a couple of marks on a fork tube, right above the seal, and it leaks somewhat. Is there someway to fix it? Like a filler or something?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 PM

GORBO is a decent person
Re: Scratched fork tube

Originally Posted by -Eirik-
Got a couple of marks on a fork tube, right above the seal, and it leaks somewhat. Is there someway to fix it? Like a filler or something?

im not sure how to fix it, but if and once you do, get some seal savers (sealsavers.com), or you can get em at cycle gear (if they have those in norway lol) they ******* work wonders. Ive been beating on the same 05-06 636 forks for a long time and the seals have never gone bad
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM

4shzx6 is a decent person

i seen a vid on youtube when i replaced my seals,the guy said get some very fine wet and try sandpaper using water aswell too just lightly rub over and smooth out any imperfections on the chrome left by scratches or little dents so when new ones go in they wont rip em up,i done mine as ther was a few little dents from stones.mine have been fine since,urs may still leak tho if the scratch is quite deep .
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

I gotta get my left fork resurfaced on the 636. Has a nick that i can't polish out and it keeps bustin the oil seal
Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
T/C
Squid...

T/C has a spectacular aura aboutT/C has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GORBO
im not sure how to fix it, but if and once you do, get some seal savers (sealsavers.com), or you can get em at cycle gear (if they have those in norway lol) they ******* work wonders. Ive been beating on the same 05-06 636 forks for a long time and the seals have never gone bad

+1 Seal savers are awesome... When racing dirt i was blowing seals all the time got some seal savers and have not blown a seal and 6 months... Maybe its cause i am not landing short all the time anymore though
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

You can ATTEMPT to use very fine grit sand paper to take any 'raised' sections of metal, but if the nicks just go INTO The metal, nothing you can really do..

But just fixing the nicks wont stop your leak, you need new seals, and possibly new bushings if your forks have much over 10k on them

Originally Posted by T/C
+1 Seal savers are awesome... When racing dirt i was blowing seals all the time got some seal savers and have not blown a seal and 6 months... Maybe its cause i am not landing short all the time anymore though
If your blowing seals in 6 months your doing something wrong anyways, did you inspect the bushings to see if they need replaced?

But yeah seal savers are real nice. Not as needed on a street bike, but definitely needed in the dirt
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

DCP-TED is an unknown quantity at this point

Poor mans seal savers...

Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Talen
Poor mans seal savers...

hell the red one almost looks like it says kawaski anyways
Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
T/C
Squid...

T/C has a spectacular aura aboutT/C has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Towlieee
You can ATTEMPT to use very fine grit sand paper to take any 'raised' sections of metal, but if the nicks just go INTO The metal, nothing you can really do..

But just fixing the nicks wont stop your leak, you need new seals, and possibly new bushings if your forks have much over 10k on them

If your blowing seals in 6 months your doing something wrong anyways, did you inspect the bushings to see if they need replaced?

But yeah seal savers are real nice. Not as needed on a street bike, but definitely needed in the dirt
It has been 6 months now and i have not blown one is what i was trying to say Lol Problem was fixed it was the bushing causing me so many problems between that and the dirt we ride in its horrible on seals
Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Yea its not the f4i, its the ole gasgas, so thanks for the seal saver tip Im definitely getting a pair. And yes Im putting on new seals.

As for the scratches Im gonna try sanding off any chrome bits sticking out and see if that helps.

Thanks guys
Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Also if it just blows seals back out, often times you can get JUST the chrome part of the fork (the part that slides and is nicked) for pretty damn cheap used

But I'm not sure how easy it would be to find them for a gasgas..
Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM

birdie will become famous soon enoughbirdie will become famous soon enough

i have used clear nail varnish to fill a few scratches before, seems to work fine, and is nice and cheap
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by birdie
i have used clear nail varnish to fill a few scratches before, seems to work fine, and is nice and cheap
Yeah I actually just read that somewhere googling around, and thought about giving it a shot. I wasnt going to post it up tho, because it sounded stupid That actually works?