F4i Ape CCT Install w Pics

Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep
F4i Ape CCT Install w Pics

I just installed my Ape manual cam chain tensioner. Im a newbie when it comes to working on bikes. Following these directions it took me about 2.5 hours. My buddy who did this said it took him about an hour to do. Just posting this up in case any one else has to do it. I found it on the cbrforum.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/85183.aspx

Only thing that I did different was remove the crankcase cover to see the tension on the chain. However, even though I saw the tension on the chain it still wasnt enough tension which I realized after I put the cover back on so I had to tighten the cct and listen until it sounded right. Nice to have a bike that doesnt rattle like crazy :YEAH
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: F4i Ape CCT Install w Pics

When the time comes, I will definetly be using this. Good ****.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Yeah helped me out a lot. I got 15k on my bike and it just started rattling like crazy.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

That thread is classic. I used to years ago to install mine.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 PM
NealFoReal

Yeah Im glad I found it. Internet is a great thing.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM

timleg is a decent person

nice post man, i'm going to do this soon, because my cam chain rattles like a bitch at like 4k rpms
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

spreading the pin that holds the tip on the cam chain tensioner also helps greatly with noise.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
spreading the pin that holds the tip on the cam chain tensioner also helps greatly with noise.
Youre talkin about the stock one? I thought I had mine adjusted right because the rattling was gone but now I'm hearing a whirling noise when I left off the gas. Scott3824 said that if its too tight youll hear this whirling noise. I adjusted it like crazy. Its either too loose where it rattles or too tight where you get this whirling noise. I cant get it adjusted right in between
Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 AM

bornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the rough

edit: wrong thread but watever

just read the write up

it seems easy
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

your going to have valve train noise no matter what..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Stunt'n Is A Habit

Jstunna408 is a decent person

whats more better APE Manual CCT or oem cct ?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jstunna408
whats more better APE Manual CCT or oem cct ?

For the F4i... APE!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
NealFoReal

your going to have valve train noise no matter what..
So what, you think that whirling noise Im hearing is normal? From reading that post on cbrforum it said if its too tight I'll hear a pinging noise which I dont hear but I am hearing what Scott described. The best way to describe the sound its like if youre driving a manual car in low speeds in 1st gear and you let off the gas, thats sort of what it sounds like. Im gonna adjust it again today and worst case just leave it loose w the rattling coz I know too tight can cause engine wear or some **** like that
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Scrapes Elbow

stock CCT is better for an f4i with under 20k miles... if u are mechanically inclined then i suggest changing timing chain, chain guide, and new stock CCT instead of a ape.. ape is good for cheap quick fix that requires maintenance.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Scrapes Elbow

that whirl is the chain stress against the chain guide.. back it out half a turn. if it still whirls back it out another half turn etc..
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
NealFoReal

that whirl is the chain stress against the chain guide.. back it out half a turn. if it still whirls back it out another half turn etc..
Yeah Ive been going back and fourth since I started this dam thread. I cant get it right in the middle. Its either too loose or too tight but Ima give it another shot later today. Hopefully I'll get it right this time. I should've done what OMR told me to do which was put a notch in the bolt so I could use a screwdriver to adjust it coz now once I start the bike up to check if its good, it gets too hot to reach my chubby hands in there to try to adjust it again. The cct is in such a tight ******* spot. On the 600rr its easily accessible. Wish it was like that on the F4i

Thanks mayn
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Yeah Ive been going back and fourth since I started this dam thread. I cant get it right in the middle. Its either too loose or too tight but Ima give it another shot later today. Hopefully I'll get it right this time. I should've done what OMR told me to do which was put a notch in the bolt so I could use a screwdriver to adjust it coz now once I start the bike up to check if its good, it gets too hot to reach my chubby hands in there to try to adjust it again. The cct is in such a tight ******* spot. On the 600rr its easily accessible. Wish it was like that on the F4i

Thanks mayn

go find a skinny boy to reach his hands in.

And don't let your bike run 10 minues before adjusting it! lol.. Just fire it up, adjust it, lock it down, ride!

I never had a problem with heat, but im a skinny ***, so my hand gets right in there to adjust it.

When I did mine, I actually FOLLOWED the directions (interesting eh?) and it said to put I BELIEVE 1/4"-3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..
I set my freeplay to 1/4", and the cam chain rattled worse then I have ever heard! **** was CRAZY loud!

So then I just started the bike up, and tightened the adjuster tell the sound JUST went away, then I locked it down..

Then I re-checked my cam chain, and it was TIGHT AS ****, ZERO play... But sounds perfect, so I left it.

Been like that for about 3k miles now
Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Towlieee
go find a skinny boy to reach his hands in.

And don't let your bike run 10 minues before adjusting it! lol.. Just fire it up, adjust it, lock it down, ride!

I never had a problem with heat, but im a skinny ***, so my hand gets right in there to adjust it.

When I did mine, I actually FOLLOWED the directions (interesting eh?) and it said to put I BELIEVE 1/4"-3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..
I set my freeplay to 1/4", and the cam chain rattled worse then I have ever heard! **** was CRAZY loud!

So then I just started the bike up, and tightened the adjuster tell the sound JUST went away, then I locked it down..

Then I re-checked my cam chain, and it was TIGHT AS ****, ZERO play... But sounds perfect, so I left it.

Been like that for about 3k miles now
Thats what I did initially (followed the directions, interesting eh) (cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not). I took the case cover off so I could adjust it like the directions said set it with 1/4" freeplay and put everything back together only to hear it rattling like crazy. I then tightened it to where I didnt hear the rattling and thought it was good but now I'm hearing the whirling noise. And I was just adjusting it then tightening it and wouldnt hear anything until I start riding. OMR told me that it has to be up to operating temperature to tell if its too tight which is why after adjusting and testing it, I gotta wait for the bike to cool down. I will get this **** today though coz Im sick of having to take my damper off and lift up the tank every ****** day to work on this dam thing

If you werent being sarcastic If you were I'm new to working on bikes so I usually follow the directions.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
NealFoReal

Thats what I did initially (followed the directions, interesting eh) (cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not). I took the case cover off so I could adjust it like the directions said set it with 1/4" freeplay and put everything back together only to hear it rattling like crazy. I then tightened it to where I didnt hear the rattling and thought it was good but now I'm hearing the whirling noise. And I was just adjusting it then tightening it and wouldnt hear anything until I start riding. OMR told me that it has to be up to operating temperature to tell if its too tight which is why after adjusting and testing it, I gotta wait for the bike to cool down. I will get this **** today though coz Im sick of having to take my damper off and lift up the tank every ****** day to work on this dam thing

If you werent being sarcastic If you were I'm new to working on bikes so I usually follow the directions.
Okay, rereading your post, I dont think you were being sarcastic. I think you were saying that you followed the directions (interesting eh) and it didnt work like it should have. So if I read wrong.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Nah nah I dind't mean it in a bad way at all lol

I said I followed the directions, because I did lol

However every one who has told me how to install an APE, said "**** the directions, just tighten it tells its quiet"

everyone alwasy told me its too much of a pain in the *** to check cam chain tenson lol.. I just poped my clutch cover off to make sure of it

But after following hte directions, I think all they did was slow me down.. Considering adjusting it to the 'right' amount of slack, and its way to lose lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i Ape CCT Install w Pics