Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?

Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM

minipig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?

yeah man ,, the clicking relay IS normal .. check your batterly electrolyte-fluid isnt over the limit . like -charge the battery off the bike,, with the top caps OFF the battery ,,if it is too full ,,whilst its charging ,the excess fluid will spit out of the top of the battery ,, do it on an old towel ,coz that acid will eat anything it touches.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 AM

ismoketomuch is an unknown quantity at this point

it's a sealed battery, and i deff think the battery is shot, i mean its ****in streched and swolen
Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 AM

nos96f22 is an unknown quantity at this point

when you did the conversion did you ground the recitifier or just leave it in the tail section?.. on the f4i subframe there isnt a place to put it like the f4 subframe so you have to drill holes and mount it so that its grounded
Old 06-29-2006, 04:56 PM

i got a custome bracket welded onto the f4i subframe, but i rode around at first with it not mounted, so im thinkin that could have killed it, also when lookin at the rectifer u know how it has the plastic stuff on it, well it seems as iff there is an air bubble or sum **** in it
Old 06-30-2006, 07:34 AM

go get a proper battery, dont get one off the NET ,they just sell you shyte from china, my battery LOOKS sealed , but still you can pry a strip off the top to fill it with more acid.. i am guessing your bike is fine, my battery was too full , the acid leaked and ripped the paint off the rear shock ,and fooked the o-ring seals on the chain ,, get a decent battery from yr honda dealer.. what brand name is on this battery ?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:37 AM

this tail conversion ,, it was just the cosmetics-plastic or electrics ?

Last edited by minipig; 06-30-2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-30-2006, 07:39 AM

i need some of that stuff yr smoking ...my bong is empty
Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 AM

the brand name is EBC european battery company, i dont think there wasnt anything electrical diff jus subframe and tail n taillight, so u sayin its not the rectifer ? it's the battery ? minipig come down to US and ur bong will never be empty haha
Old 07-03-2006, 08:02 AM

nickb2884b is an unknown quantity at this point

well if v are right then you may have to check for amp this how ever is a much harder test if you dont know how to do it you have to use a sunt or amp metter you can buy one at any car parts store you are going to need one that is rated for like up to 25 amps but if you get one thats higher thats even better and dont ride the bike with the battery like that i have seen car batterys blow up and take hoods off cars so think what that would do to you seeing how you are seating on it and take the battery back it should be covered under its warrenty so you can get a new one
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 AM

when u said the relay was clicking .. it just clicks once right ? or a continous clicking ? should just be once .and if its continuos, thats bec the battery is failing, was on mine anyway....
i think the shop you got the battery from , MAY have put too much acid in .BUT 2 batterys , it isnt likely. i still think you can pry a cap off the top , you sure there isnt a lid on this battery ? even if it looks flat , they must have gotten the acid in somehow ,,and they're not allowed to ship a battery with acid in , has to be in separate container if posted..where did you buy the battery? .. YUASA batts are ok ,, im baffled about this prob ,,never seen a sealed battery b4. it probably is the ampage running thro ' the battery is too high . a shop here charged my batt. in 2 hours . running 16 volts thro' it , without the caps off , the thing was so hot i couldnt touch it for 3 hours. i would get a mechanic-electrician to check, NOT the honda dealer , should only take him 5 mins. should do it for free of for a smoke.. good luck with it

Last edited by minipig; 07-03-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 AM

sorry about the above post , i'm not thinking straight without a smoke ..
when you got this battery , did you take the old one and ask for the same ? or did you ask for an f4 battery ? obviously yr batt. is sealed or the caps would have popped off , instead of it swelling . im just wondering if its even the right battery for that bike . let us know when youve fixed it , as it doing my head thinking about it
Old 07-07-2006, 06:31 PM

hedgy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ismoketomuch
hedgy, i just ran the test like you said , when bike was idle it was at 12, then i held it at 4k rpm and kept switching the headlight/highbeam switch to see if there was a dramatic diff in voltage, and there wasnt much. according to the meeter it stayed around 15 i belive when it was reved, i even tried to rev all the way up to redline and it didnt go over 15, so would this mean my rectifer is good ? i took off the tail to see if i could see anything out of the ordinary, and i have a few BIG fueses/relays laying in the trunk and one of them makes a big click sounds overtime i turn the ignition key onto ON, is this normal ? could it have anything to do with it ? this sucks i cant ride cuz im afriad the battery will foul out on my just like the last one did, because like i said its starting to swell just like the other one, also this battery is same brand as the previous one, could this have anything to do with it ? i also have a streetfighter headlight ghetto rigged into my headlight wire harness plug, could this effect anything. well jus wana thank everyone for there help so far. but anyone know what other possible options it could be to make the battery swell ?or is it possible that the broken rectifer just wont show up with a voltage test ? thanks in advanced
sorry about the delay getting back,your rectifier is definately gone,get a new one for sure with a decent sealed battery like a yuasa,lotus said where to get rectifier.15v aint bad but the swelling batteries and melting bubble stuff are definate signs,the other guys are right with not fixing it to the frame probably fu(ked it as the heat is dipersed through the frame by convection as well as air cooled,thats why they are generally placed under or behind a vent.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

ever seen this before?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:27 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgy
sorry about the delay getting back,your rectifier is definately gone,get a new one for sure with a decent sealed battery like a yuasa,lotus said where to get rectifier.15v aint bad but the swelling batteries and melting bubble stuff are definate signs,the other guys are right with not fixing it to the frame probably fu(ked it as the heat is dipersed through the frame by convection as well as air cooled,thats why they are generally placed under or behind a vent.
it chrges 12v at idle and doesnt go over 15v at close to redline and you tell him to buy a regulator rectifier....

if it charges at all... the stator and rectifier are good! stator producing proper voltage without a shunt, if rectifier (three paths, 6 diodes or one way valves). was bad it would not charge at all. the electricity would shunt.

Second... if it does not raise above 15v at redline the regulator is doing its job... shunting excess power.... do not replace....

Last edited by 955iDisastar; 07-08-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM

hedgy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
it chrges 12v at idle and doesnt go over 15v at close to redline and you tell him to buy a regulator rectifier....

if it charges at all... the stator and rectifier are good! stator producing proper voltage without a shunt, if rectifier (three paths, 6 diodes or one way valves). was bad it would not charge at all. the electricity would shunt.

Second... if it does not raise above 15v at redline the regulator is doing its job... shunting excess power.... do not replace....
wtf is the battery pregnant......
explain the 2 swollen batteries then.....
explain the heat damage to the rectifier then......
explain at what rpm bikes produce peak electrical power......
you seem to know everything yet all you suggested was the red plug.......
this is the second time you quoted me and tried to make out i am giving wrong advice....wtf.
tell us all whats wrong with the bike then........
Old 07-08-2006, 07:39 PM

you'll find out that sometimes when trying to help someone you won't get the full story, there is only one reason a battery swells. 1. not properly venting, 2. electrolite boiling,

The electrolite will boil from a high amparage situation, such as a loose conection, or overcharging. since we know its not overcharging do some ohm readings and check conections on the main earth grounds.

Every battery vents somehow, I would like to know the exact brand and model of the battery in question.

either way the reg/rec is fine at 12-15v.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

hey 955i, you do tech work?

if its an F4, its probably the ytx9-bs, not at work, but I'll look it up on monday.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lotus
hey 955i, you do tech work?

if its an F4, its probably the ytx9-bs, not at work, but I'll look it up on monday.
Yes, and if he's using the manufacture suggested ytx9-bs and all conections and charging system tests fine, I would then send him to a qualified tech. it will be alot cheaper than the parts replace method.

hedgy I see I was a little abrupt with the first quote, my bad.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

mark_E is an unknown quantity at this point

Rectifiers convert ac to dc (from alternator) Regulators maintain the dc voltage between specified limits. You may have a diode burnt out in your rectifier and you are getting ac ripple through to your battery. If your regulator/rectifier is a single unit get a new one and a new good quality battery. As Hedgy says, you can do all the tests you want but at the end of the day you will have to replace these parts.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 AM

mark_E is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't quote me tho'