Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 PM

ismoketomuch is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?

Hey guys whats up, I have an 2000 cbr f4 with an f4i tail conversion, about a month ago my bike died on the highway, and would start back up but would not have enuff power to move the bike, after getting the bike home i found out the battery was MAJORLY swollen,it seems as if it was overcharged. So i got a new battery poped it in and it ran fine, however after a few days of riding i started smelling this burning smell i smelt while riding weeks b4, i checked the battery and shure enough it's starting to swell just like the last one ! does anyone know what could this be ?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:16 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?

Originally Posted by ismoketomuch
Hey guys whats up, I have an 2000 cbr f4 with an f4i tail conversion, about a month ago my bike died on the highway, and would start back up but would not have enuff power to move the bike, after getting the bike home i found out the battery was MAJORLY swollen,it seems as if it was overcharged. So i got a new battery poped it in and it ran fine, however after a few days of riding i started smelling this burning smell i smelt while riding weeks b4, i checked the battery and shure enough it's starting to swell just like the last one ! does anyone know what could this be ?
see that little red plug on the side of the battery you need to pull that off, battery needs to breath, read the istructions carefully when installing the next one.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 PM

hedgy is an unknown quantity at this point

your regulator/rectifier is toasted,replace immediately before it toasts your cdi and can melt electric loom and relay.
dont buy a honda one as they are total crap,get one on ebay just count the wires and make sure the connector is the same.
definatly replace asap and get another new battery as the one in it now will be already damaged for sure. im a bike mechanic and this is the most common honda part to fail.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Paul is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgy
your regulator/rectifier is toasted,replace immediately before it toasts your cdi and can melt electric loom and relay.
dont buy a honda one as they are total crap,get one on ebay just count the wires and make sure the connector is the same.
definatly replace asap and get another new battery as the one in it now will be already damaged for sure. im a bike mechanic and this is the most common honda part to fail.
+1
Old 06-24-2006, 12:42 PM

your kidding right?? where do you work as a bike mechanic? why dont you tell him how to test the rec/reg before he spends 150$ on something he doesn't need.

Last edited by 955iDisastar; 06-24-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

check your voltage when its running 13.2V - 14.8 V is considered normal.

Ive had a couple clients that have had batteries replaced annually and they can't understand why they keep dying. Overcharging kills them.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 PM

so check the voltage of the rectifier ? and it should be between 13.2 and 14.8,and 955diaster what little red plug are you talking about on the battery ?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:30 PM

929_uR is a decent person

on the side of the battery there is a drain...comes with a plug on it. your supposed to remove it before charging it. ive never seen what happens if you dont, but now i guess i know.

i would start with checking that. remember if you have a prob with your bike, start with the cheapest possible solution, and work your way up to the most expensive, so you dont replace expensive **** for no reason.

otherwise you'll be doing this
Old 06-24-2006, 07:44 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

good word Hedgy-

definately regulator/rectifier. rectifier part is fine, it usually produces 15-21V depending on the rpm, and the regulator should keep it at 13.5-14.3V. Sucks, but a pretty easy fix. PU sells them for $71.95 retail. part number is 2112-0091. replaces just about every honda oem#31600-mv0-010.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:46 PM

thanks guys im gona have to check it out once this rain ****in stops.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM

well i checked the battery and there is no breather part on it, it's a sealed barrtery. So i guess what 955disater said, was not the case for me. So im gona get a voltage meter and check the rectifier, and hopefully its that.How will I know if its the rectifier, will the voltage levels be way below the ones listed ?
Old 06-25-2006, 03:15 PM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's the rectifier, your voltage could be higher or lower than normal. Most likely, your rectifier isn't limiting the voltage enough, so you're probably 15+ volts.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ismoketomuch
well i checked the battery and there is no breather part on it, it's a sealed barrtery. So i guess what 955disater said, was not the case for me. So im gona get a voltage meter and check the rectifier, and hopefully its that.How will I know if its the rectifier, will the voltage levels be way below the ones listed ?
will be much higher, the voltage should stop rising at around 15-16vdc as you rev the motor up. 13.5 at idle.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:08 AM

skidmark is a decent person

ya... my battery blew up
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM

**** i got a volt meter but how do i test the rectifer, all i know how to do is the basic battery test
Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 PM

your doing it, just leave the leads on the battery, start bike and let idle, voltage should be around 13.5, now rev the motor up gradually, your gonna wanna rev pretty far cuz at some point, usually around 15-16volts, the reading on the meter should stop rising. if it doesn't thats your issue.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 PM

ok so i just went outside and tested it out, at idle i was at 12v, then as i reved up to like 5-6k it hit 15v and stoped, i didnt rev to much higher because i live in a apartment and people were already outside with a pissed off look on there face, should i try it agian somewhere else and rev it out all the way up the rpm band, or since it stopped at 15 at like 5k rpm, that its probly not the charging system
Old 06-27-2006, 06:36 PM

hedgy is an unknown quantity at this point

ive tested loads of honda rectifiers.
hold the rpm at a steady 4000.
get someone else the hold the multimeter.
flick lights on and off,see if it changes drastically.
as other ppl said 14.8v is about high enough.
check how quickly the thing heats up.
then go and buy a new one!!cos yours is f*cked and you can do loads more nerdy science tests for back leakage/reverse doo da and what wires to what diode.
what we do in our workshop is simple:plug in new rectifier,fit new battery,job done in 10 minutes with no labor charge=happy customer.this also means if it f*cks anytime soon we replace parts free and just send faulty one back to supplier.
you might get a shop to test it for you if they think they can sell you a rectifier and battery. good luck
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM

nickb2884b is an unknown quantity at this point

no matter what the brand and no matter what the rpm is you should never see more then 15.5v dc on any carging system i dont no were regulator/rectifier is located but if it is nere the engine and you get a new one it may be a good idea to run new wires and move it back see heat is what makes them go bad and when you are soing stunts you have no air flow to keep it cool i know on rr this is a real problum
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM

hedgy, i just ran the test like you said , when bike was idle it was at 12, then i held it at 4k rpm and kept switching the headlight/highbeam switch to see if there was a dramatic diff in voltage, and there wasnt much. according to the meeter it stayed around 15 i belive when it was reved, i even tried to rev all the way up to redline and it didnt go over 15, so would this mean my rectifer is good ? i took off the tail to see if i could see anything out of the ordinary, and i have a few BIG fueses/relays laying in the trunk and one of them makes a big click sounds overtime i turn the ignition key onto ON, is this normal ? could it have anything to do with it ? this sucks i cant ride cuz im afriad the battery will foul out on my just like the last one did, because like i said its starting to swell just like the other one, also this battery is same brand as the previous one, could this have anything to do with it ? i also have a streetfighter headlight ghetto rigged into my headlight wire harness plug, could this effect anything. well jus wana thank everyone for there help so far. but anyone know what other possible options it could be to make the battery swell ?or is it possible that the broken rectifer just wont show up with a voltage test ? thanks in advanced

Quick Reply: Battery Keeps Swelling on my F4 ? ANYONE ?