636 APE cam chain tensioner.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
636 APE cam chain tensioner.

its one of the last things i have to install in my 03-04 636. can anyone give me a step by step on how to install this thing. also it didnt come with any gasket or oring. will i need to order that?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

Re: 636 APE cam chain tensioner.

nobody
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

You wont need a new gasket, you just reuse the rubber O-ring thats on the stock tensioner...

About the adjustment there are a few differnt ways people do them but this is how I do mine...

I just remove the stock one and install the new one, then I turn it in by hand till I feel it touch the cam chain guide and just snug it with my fingers...Then I run the bike and turn it in by hand untill its snug again and the rattle goes away..Then I lock it in place with the nut....Finger tight no more, I only use a wrench to lock it in place the adjustment is just finger tight You can always do it more if it gets noisy again but if you do it too much rigght off the bat you can ruin your cam chain..

Last edited by JohnnyP; 01-22-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
You wont need a new gasket, you just reuse the rubber O-ring thats on the stock tensioner...

About the adjustment there are a few differnt ways people do them but this is how I do mine...

I just remove the stock one and install the new one, then I turn it in by hand till I feel it touch the cam chain guide and just snug it with my fingers...Then I run the bike and turn it in by hand untill its snug again and the rattle goes away..Then I lock it in place with the nut....Finger tight no more, I only use a wrench to lock it in place the adjustment is just finger tight You can always do it more if it gets noisy again but if you do it too much rigght off the bat you can ruin your cam chain..

just like that but i do put a extra 1/4 turn on mine
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suicidl
I dunno about 636

but on f4i your supposed to have 1/4 - 3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..
Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I dunno about 636

but on f4i your supposed to have 1/4 - 3/8" freeplay in the cam chain..
Thats in the top of the chain between the 2 cams, not between the tensioner and the chain guide....And unless your willing to remove the valve cover to measure that 1/4-3/8" is useless...
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Yeah thats about the same as me, finger tight is about a 1/4 turn after it starts getting tight

Im just trying to stress the fact that its better to have it run a little loose for a while and re-tighten it, rather then run it too tight and streach the cam chain..
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Yeah thats about the same as me, finger tight is about a 1/4 turn after it starts getting tight

Im just trying to stress the fact that its better to have it run a little loose for a while and re-tighten it, rather then run it too tight and streach the cam chain..
gotcha
Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM

gotcha
Are you really not feeling the "6 shitty 6" yet? I hope it grows on you
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Are you really not feeling the "6 shitty 6" yet? I hope it grows on you
still missing my f4i for now. i just had it for so long it was like a growth or something
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

i figured this was similar to the f4i but just wasnt sure.
i will do it this way and if its still making noise with finger tight i will put a 1/4 turn on it like william said
thanks johnny p