adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 AM

errkgixxer7 is a decent person
adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner

i adust at first reving it to about 3000 when it was hot then i was riding and i heard another rattle noise took it apart and adjusted it some more and it went away it was makin it at about 5000 i adjusted tell it went away is this ok? cause the guy replaced it with a after market one and said he never adusted it!!!!! just dont want to tight but not to lose thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM

errkgixxer7 is a decent person
Re: adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner

anyone!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i usually adjust mine when the bike is up to normal running temp and i back it out till it rattles then i tighten it down till the noise stops then i give it a rev or two just to see if it rattles and then i give it about a 1/16 th of a turn
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Life is a Risk so Live It

OnPoint is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
i usually adjust mine when the bike is up to normal running temp and i back it out till it rattles then i tighten it down till the noise stops then i give it a rev or two just to see if it rattles and then i give it about a 1/16 th of a turn
Which tensioner do you recommend and where did you get it from?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

ape , any bike shop can get you one
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

ape , any bike shop can get you one
Is this something that every F4i needs or will need once the bike hits a certain mileage?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Is this something that every F4i needs or will need once the bike hits a certain mileage?
every 636 and every f4i i ever had needed one the stockers suck and break all the time
Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 PM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough

Which tensioner do you recommend and where did you get it from?
here you go http://www.haibikeshop.com/index.php...oducts_id=1762
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM

every 636 and every f4i i ever had needed one the stockers suck and break all the time
So when the stock tensioner fails is it a gradual process where it wares out cuasing some slack and then slowly getting worse and worse until it eventually breaks. Or does it go from working fine one day and then the next day it's broken.

Originally Posted by T'RIC'KY
Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
also known as OMR

when you engine brake hard the timing chain gets alot of slack on the cct side and the automatic cct takes up that slack then when you get back on the gas the chain gets tight on the cct side and brakes the teeth off the cct and the spring inside the cct tries to keep the cct against the chain and it just rattles because there are no teeth left in that area of the cct ..

the slack might be visa virsa but you get my point
Old 03-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

So when the stock tensioner fails is it a gradual process where it wares out cuasing some slack and then slowly getting worse and worse until it eventually breaks. Or does it go from working fine one day and then the next day it's broken.
I'm not sure about kawi, but on f4i's, they just break but still keep tension.. They just make a buzzing sound.. Apparently according to cbrworld.net everyone says it wont harm your motor, and you can run the stock cam chain tensoner forever..

It just makes your bike sound like ****.. You only need to change it if you don't want your bike to sound like your motor is about to blow up..

hondas tensoners typically start making the noise around 6-8k miles..

So you buy an adjustable tensoner, and if it ever makes noise, just tighten it slightly
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I'm not sure about kawi, but on f4i's, they just break but still keep tension.. They just make a buzzing sound.. Apparently according to cbrworld.net everyone says it wont harm your motor, and you can run the stock cam chain tensoner forever..

It just makes your bike sound like ****.. You only need to change it if you don't want your bike to sound like your motor is about to blow up..

hondas tensoners typically start making the noise around 6-8k miles..

So you buy an adjustable tensoner, and if it ever makes noise, just tighten it slightly
the longer you leave the broken cct in there the more teeth break off and they go in your gear box that and the valve timing will be off so the bike will have less and less power as more teeth break off ...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM

It's crazy that Honda would have designed such a shitty part in such an important area that wares out after only 6-8K miles. I know that if your tensioner goes out completely that the cam chain could skip a tooth and blow your motor. Has this happened to anyone riding an F4i? It seems like this is a mandatory mod even for people not stunting the bike.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

the longer you leave the broken cct in there the more teeth break off and they go in your gear box that and the valve timing will be off so the bike will have less and less power as more teeth break off ...
Is it the actually teeth breaking off though?

I've heard maaaany different things from maaaany different people.. I've heard it loosens your chain, breaks teeth, and I also heard all it does is rattle because the piece gets loose

edit: I'm not even sure if the honda one has teeth on it? I know the ape does NOT.. Lemme go see if i can find my oem tensoner so im not guessing lol

Last edited by Towlieee; 03-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM

It's crazy that Honda would have designed such a shitty part in such an important area that wares out after only 6-8K miles. I know that if your tensioner goes out completely that the cam chain could skip a tooth and blow your motor. Has this happened to anyone riding an F4i? It seems like this is a mandatory mod even for people not stunting the bike.
even with the teeth gone I'm pretty sure it keeps enough tenson to not skip a tooth

at least thats what they say on cbrworld.net..

I ran mine to about 22k before I put a manual tensoner on, **** rattled loud!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Is it the actually teeth breaking off though?

I've heard maaaany different things from maaaany different people.. I've heard it loosens your chain, breaks teeth, and I also heard all it does is rattle because the piece gets loose
the ones i have looked at had missing teeth ..
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM

the ones i have looked at had missing teeth ..
from a honda?

Just found mine and no teeth, almost looks just like the ape tensoner, just a rod sticking out
(note this pic is not mine, but mine looks exactly the same)

Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM
also known as OMR

i think the ones i have looked at were apart , there were teeth that keep the tensioner from going back in , it only allows it to extend not retract
Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM

TWITCH101 is a decent person

Never had it happen on my f4i. But the same thing happened to me on a quad. Timing chain was too loose and jumped a tooth and made the most horrible sounding "clank" I have ever heard. All it did was bend a valve though. New valve, new timing chain and I was back on the trails. Still a bitch though. But I have no idea what the effect would be on an f4i.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM

We should do a pole. I wounder how many people have ran their bike to high mileage without an adj. tensioner, how many people do the mod to prevent blowing the motor, and how many people have actually blown their motor by not doing the mod?

Quick Reply: adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner