Circle Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:48 AM

*Melvin* is an unknown quantity at this point
Circle Wheelies

Ive been trying to get cirlces long enough now and its so frustrating getting all the way around. Anyone who has them down do you recommend slipping the clutch or just playing the idle when learning them. I havent really tried slipping the clutch that much because it throws in another variable in the mix.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

DURTY has a spectacular aura aboutDURTY has a spectacular aura about
Re: Circle Wheelies

everytime i see a post on circle wheelies nobody seems to want to help and we all know there are a lot of circle 's out there whats up with that ? i guess they don't want to give out the secrets... :jerkoff
Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person

I learned them this way.

Crank the idle to 3500 and ride a slow wheelie. When you almost get to stall shift your weight to the right (or left) and when you start to fall into the circle, you can let the brake off a little and this will start to carry you around. Also try leaning off the bike. WHen I started them I was leaning forward and they would tighten up, but then they would fall out of them. Now I can get 3 or 4 fairly tight ones.

That's where I'm at now.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is no secret, it's just luck and by accident.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Group Moderator

AdrenalneJnky is an unknown quantity at this point

go into it at like 20 mph, min..

lean way in, let it fall, that smash gas...

o wait thats just teach's, darius's, joe browns way..my bad

dude, i think circles were the hardest stunt for ne one out ther to learn out of ne thing, is for me at least...
dont hink ne secrets, i seen people all over do them different ways, practice practice practice....

look where u want bike to go, thats my advice
Old 09-16-2004, 01:48 AM

Yeah i can get about 3/4 the way aorund but ill jsut have to keep at it. Its so frustrating but once i get my frist full circle it will be all worth it. Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well... I like to share information. I PM'd Gorka a couple months ago about circles. His advice actually helped me think about what I was doing and I'm now up to 2, 2 1/2 rotations...

"Thanks bro! Wait till advanced wheelie vid for the detail....your head will explode! The key to circles is doing quarter turns. Put in laymans terms, focus on linking a lot of quarter turns together rather than focusing on 360degrees at a time. Quarter turn, correct, quarter turn, correct.....That's the main objective. Keep your body in line with the bike.If you lean right (when doing circles to the left) you'll highside when the speeds increase and you cintrifugally-force yourself into a highside condition. Only lean off when initially turn into the circle, then, you should be focusing on those quarter turns. Pivot the bike underneath you then get yourself in-line with the center axis of the bike. Sound complicated???? We'll be going over that in full detail. You should get "advanced" hopefully in about a month."
Thanks again
Gorka
Old 09-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i would recommend two things:

don't be scared of the gas, and def slip the clutch a bit.

basically if the wheelie is highsiding you out of the circle then you need to get on the brake, but you may need to slip the clutch to avoid the stall out.

if you are falling into the circle, you need to give a little gas, think of it like a berm on a dirtbike, you have to gas it to stay in the berm.

once you start to give it gas and or slipiddy slide the clutch a bit, you will learn how to control the bike rather than letting it just spiral into a circle-if you let it sprial you will be inconsistent-sometimes you will get 3/4 and sometimes 3 or 4 circles, but you wont know why.

like any other wheelie there is the perfect balance point (ala mark from mpz if you've ever seen his), but it is hard to do them like that -i think- and a little less entertaining for the crowd. with practice you will come closer and closer the the bp where it just seems to go around by itself.

one last thing: you want to be ON TOP of the bike and keep it under you when doing circles...

post up your progress, i'll try and keep an eye on this thread.

check out zannmanns clip to see me enter a circle foot on seat....

later,
teach
Old 09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

Teach, I think that post just explained everything I was in question about. Gonna go try some more tonight. I have been watching this thread waiting for some good tips...glad to see you replied.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:21 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

I forgot one question I had...What is a good idle speed to start with? I have a GSX-R750, -1 +12. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by standy
I forgot one question I had...What is a good idle speed to start with? I have a GSX-R750, -1 +12. Thanks again!
Standy - I think I figured alot out yesterday about idle. See, when I rock out no hander I like the idle around 3500.. and would try to go right into O's with that. But then I turned it down a little and noticed when I wanted to hit the brake it wasnt fighting the idle so much. I'm -1+13 with a 600, so I'm sure you are have more torque with your motor. The way I see it, a little less idle (2500) and a lighter touch on the brake goes a long way.

Teach - I started feathering the clutch and that made a WORLD of difference!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

Originally Posted by Mike_3SicK6
Standy - I think I figured alot out yesterday about idle. See, when I rock out no hander I like the idle around 3500.. and would try to go right into O's with that. But then I turned it down a little and noticed when I wanted to hit the brake it wasnt fighting the idle so much. I'm -1+13 with a 600, so I'm sure you are have more torque with your motor. The way I see it, a little less idle (2500) and a lighter touch on the brake goes a long way.

Teach - I started feathering the clutch and that made a WORLD of difference!
Thanks, Bro. I was going in hot-somewhere around 4500rpm. I have a feeling that its making me fight the bike alot more, which is compromising my body position. Just like Teach said, I did 5 the other night, and then couldn't get more than 2 or 3 since then. I've been going crazy ever since. I'm gonna try a lower idle tonight.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Gas'er!!

ya, sometimes too much idle makes you use too much brake, which means you stall it...try playing with it a little...for me on the 636 up 18 i like 4000 exactly, but when i want to do them real high in the balance point so i can do fig. 8s i need to drop it to like 3500 or SLIGHTLY lower so that it goes around slower.

i also found when i learned that i hated foot int he bar but really like foot in the subframe with my knee bent..i would turn the bars all the way to the left and somehow this worked for me . i'm on ly 5'9 so the bar made me feel small...now on the rear seat i feel like i'm on top of the bike.

keep us posted
Old 09-17-2004, 02:11 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

I tried with a lower idle last night, but didn't have much luck. I keep finding myself leaning into the circle, which obviously makes it fall. I'm about the same height (5'9"), and I've been doing them with my foot on the rear peg. When I try it with my foot in the trunk, the bike gets really twitchy. I'm gonna keep workin' on them....I didn't come this far to give up now. Thanks for sharing the knowledge, When I get them, I'll buy each person on this thread a beer.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:15 PM

big dave is an unknown quantity at this point

ok standy. lemmee get on this thread real quick then too...
haha.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Gas'er!!

Originally Posted by standy
I tried with a lower idle last night, but didn't have much luck. I keep finding myself leaning into the circle, which obviously makes it fall. I'm about the same height (5'9"), and I've been doing them with my foot on the rear peg. When I try it with my foot in the trunk, the bike gets really twitchy. I'm gonna keep workin' on them....I didn't come this far to give up now. Thanks for sharing the knowledge, When I get them, I'll buy each person on this thread a beer.

if it falls, give it gas...remember the berm theory

also, stay on TOP of the bike...or try at least.

i am on a corona kick right now, so hurry up!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:22 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

lol...You're in the same boat as me. Maybe we can learn something. By the way, when are you gonna come out and ride again? Sunday is lookin' good.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
if it falls, give it gas...remember the berm theory

also, stay on TOP of the bike...or try at least.

i am on a corona kick right now, so hurry up!
haha! I'm stuck at work right now, so its gonna have to wait awhile. My bike is in the truck, so I may have to take a break and bust it out.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the tips. Its just gonna take time. I think my main problem was i had my idle at 5000. By the way anyone going to the streetfighters ride next weekend, hopefully ill be down there.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:48 PM

Manny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
one last thing: you want to be ON TOP of the bike and keep it under you when doing circles...
I think personally that is the main thing no matter what speed you hit it at. Always try to keep on top of it no matter where you are on the bike "Kinda like a skateboard". Seat, Peg, Subframe, Bar. And personally on the bar or Subframe it dont get your arms tired unlike the seat or the peg "You use your arms a lot just to hold on. They get waisted." On the bar or the Subframe ( Passanger seat hole) you barely use your arms therefore you could use them to counterbalace or help pivot the bike under you if needed.
Anyway,
Good Luck. Main thing is practice & Get frustrated like everyone has!!! Practice & Errors will teach you at least what not to do

Manny

Quick Reply: Circle Wheelies