09' BUSA Rad conversion on ZX6R

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 PM

gman86 is a decent person
09' BUSA Rad conversion on ZX6R

I got an 01' zx6r for super cheap that was wrecked. replaced front wheel and controls, installed a dirt bar and started going at it. Forks were slightly bent but enuff to rub tire on the radiator (creating a leak) while i was learning my stoppies on it. now ive got a complete triple with forks and hardware from a donor 06' zzr600 (direct swap) ill be installing soon on my own.

In the mean time i got a 09' Busa Radiator laying around with both fans and for a quick fix and a challenge i want to mount it on my stunt bike (this zx6r). Now on the zx6r radiator i have a 1/4" line going from the oil filter baseplate to the radiator, and then 1/4" line coming out to the block (seen below on right side of rad - 2 1/4" nipples - nipple right below rad cap is for overflow reservoir)....im thinking logically this is a internal oil cooler incorporated into the stock radiator.

Below is an example of a 09' busa radiator. but here i can clearly see no oil cooler feed and return fittings. I have been informed in fact it (busa's) has a separate oil cooler assembly that is attached in front of the radiator.

Now the question is if i run a thin small separate oil cooler (like the one pictured below) in front of the busa radiator will i get the same or better results as stock?

Just picking some brains out there...bike is a beater and just using it to thrash on...and i do all my own work. thanks for any input...btw this rad is incredibly more compact than the stock and adds a second fan...good for space saving and future modifications too.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM

IdleHands is a decent person
Re: 09' BUSA Rad conversion on ZX6R

coolant runs thru those lines on the filter housing. its a water cooled oil cooler. plug em and ride.