How do you know if your stator or rectifier went out?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 AM

bobmanR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you know if your stator or rectifier went out?

I dont know if my Stator is out or my rectifier...bt one of them is screwed...
heres why i need to know...because i deff dont know which..

I FINALLYYYY got my 636 set up and built...been working on it WAY too long. Today I get out and take it on its first test ride, and got about 5 miles from home, when the bike started running funny and eventually came to a stop with a dead battery..NOW, when i was working on the bike in my garage the battery went dead, so I thought it was a bad battery...therefore I went and bought a BRAND NEW ONE...which is the one that died today on my first test ride after 10 minutes or so....Which leads me to believe its the rectifier, or the stator....but how can you test a stator to see if its just the rectifier or not? or is there a way to tell that Im not aware of?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM

Re: How do you know if your stator or rectifier went out?

Is there anyway to distinguish the problem? or do you just have to guess?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM

phxRRkid will become famous soon enough

you can test the stator. you should have 80VAC @ 5k out of all 3 leads.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

if not the stator, check all your connections. make sure the rectifier is plugged in. try replacing it if you have to, or barrowing a buddies for a few minutes to see if it fixes the problem.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Ya ive never tested a stator or even ever had to replace a stator yet...so im pretty clueless when it comes to those and the rectifiers...first time ive hd this happen to me....
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM

get yourself one of these
Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

95% of the time its the regulator or wiring

stators 'typically' don't go out

Is it defintiely 80 volts? I know all bikes are different.. Check your manual or look on a forum for your specific bike..

I BELIEVE f4i's in particular are supposed to show 40-50vac between all the white wires

also usually you can check the resistance on the stator, and that will tell you
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
HOOD CHAIN GANG

SUPERDAVE will become famous soon enough

I JUST STARRT WITH A VOLTAGE METER. PUT IT ON THE BATTERY START THE BIKE AND SEE IF THE VOLTAGE JUMPS. IF IT GOES OVER 15 V WHEN U REV IT U GOT A PROBLEM. MY BIKE WENT CRAZY THE OTHER DAY JUMPED TO LIKE 45 V ON THE METER . I CHANGED THE RECTIFIER AND IT WAS GOOD.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bobmanR6
I dont know if my Stator is out or my rectifier...bt one of them is screwed...
heres why i need to know...because i deff dont know which..

I FINALLYYYY got my 636 set up and built...been working on it WAY too long. Today I get out and take it on its first test ride, and got about 5 miles from home, when the bike started running funny and eventually came to a stop with a dead battery..NOW, when i was working on the bike in my garage the battery went dead, so I thought it was a bad battery...therefore I went and bought a BRAND NEW ONE...which is the one that died today on my first test ride after 10 minutes or so....Which leads me to believe its the rectifier, or the stator....but how can you test a stator to see if its just the rectifier or not? or is there a way to tell that Im not aware of?
if it was your rectifier, your battery would be overcharging (smoking and boiling). check your connections, pull them apart and reconnect all of them, if that doesnt work, i would guess its your stator. everyone thinks you need a volt meter or some **** like that to solve your problems, ive never had to use one on any of my bikes or my friends, 99% of the time the process of elimination will solve/diagnose your problems. let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by stock05; 04-03-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by stock05
check your connections, pull them apart and reconnect all of them, if that doesnt work, i would guess its your stator. everyone thinks you need a volt meter or some **** like that to solve your problems
yeah and thats how people waste money on parts they dont need. without testing them. "replaced this, replaced that, still broke" little 15 dollar multimeter will go a long way vs just guessing and throwing new parts at a fault.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
yeah and thats how people waste money on parts they dont need. without testing them. "replaced this, replaced that, still broke" little 15 dollar multimeter will go a long way vs just guessing and throwing new parts at a fault.
i have a multimeter, but have never once had to use it on any bike that ive worked on. trouble shooting a bike is not rocket science, if you know what each part does then you will know the symptoms of it not functioning correctly, or not at all.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Retro is a decent person

I had the exact same problem several years ago with my FZR.
I replaced the rectifier and it fixed it.
Don't waste your time, replace your rectifier.
I have NEVER had to replace a stator on any of my bikes.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SUPERDAVE
I JUST STARRT WITH A VOLTAGE METER. PUT IT ON THE BATTERY START THE BIKE AND SEE IF THE VOLTAGE JUMPS. IF IT GOES OVER 15 V WHEN U REV IT U GOT A PROBLEM. MY BIKE WENT CRAZY THE OTHER DAY JUMPED TO LIKE 45 V ON THE METER . I CHANGED THE RECTIFIER AND IT WAS GOOD.
Your regulator going out can cause it to over volt OR under volt..

I've replaced multiple regulators in different bikes and they all undervolted

But if it overvolts that's bad cause it can fry all your electronics!

if it was your rectifier, your battery would be overcharging (smoking and boiling). check your connections, pull them apart and reconnect all of them, if that doesnt work, i would guess its your stator. everyone thinks you need a volt meter or some **** like that to solve your problems, ive never had to use one on any of my bikes or my friends, 99% of the time the process of elimination will solve/diagnose your problems. let me know if you have any further questions.
Ya if it overvolts.. But if it undervolts it just wont charge

You can buy parts you might not need, I'll double check my **** the proper way and replace only what I need
Originally Posted by Retro
I had the exact same problem several years ago with my FZR.
I replaced the rectifier and it fixed it.
Don't waste your time, replace your rectifier.
I have NEVER had to replace a stator on any of my bikes.
+1!! my fzr ate 2 regulators (but the ones I bought were used)

As well as my f4i shitting a regulator, my friends r6, as well as a friends 600rr

Personally never seen a stator go bad unless the case cover was broke from a wreck

i have a multimeter, but have never once had to use it on any bike that ive worked on. trouble shooting a bike is not rocket science, if you know what each part does then you will know the symptoms of it not functioning correctly, or not at all.
Honestly my multimeter is probably the most used 'special' tool I own.. Any electrical problems, instantly solve them without guessing what the issue is...
And when it comes to stators, you can take 5 minutes and know for SURE if your stator is good.. Only problem is every bike stator is different, so you gotta know what ohm load and what voltage to check for

Last edited by Towlieee; 04-04-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
IV
"bitchen"

IV will become famous soon enough

it was his sator. he fixed it saturday.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by IV

Yes sirrrr it twas the stator....it was sorta wierd inside of it...it looked like it was rubbing one of the bolts and cutting some of the wires on the stator...very odd...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM

hanasanaide is a decent person

that's really the only way to test it, all the wires in the stator are connected only to themselves, check all the wires to ground and if there's continuity, its bad, running voltage checks are usually not needed, the regulators you can't test, you test around it
Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Retro is a decent person

oh wow!, ok? I see the stator was damaged in someway, so thats the main reason it had to be replaced. if not, I would have bet the rectifier went out.
glad you got it fixed though.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by IV
Originally Posted by bobmanR6
Yes sirrrr it twas the stator....it was sorta wierd inside of it...it looked like it was rubbing one of the bolts and cutting some of the wires on the stator...very odd...
i may be an *******, but most of stuntlife will agree, my advice is spot on. damn, im good.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM

mad1pca@yahoo.c is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a similar problem; i was riding the bike for like 45 min. straight. then i took like a 15min break, when i turned the key back on and hit the start button i heard a pop, and the bike went completely dead. i checked all the fuses, and they were all good. the battery connections were tight also. i pushed started it and it started. so i was thinking it was the battery. my boy told me to pull the stator plug loose and see if its brown on the inside, and sure nuff it looked burnt out. so one of my boys brought me another stator yesterday, and it looks a lil burnt also. he said it came off a running bike. so my question is: is the stator just bad? or is the rectifier bad also, which is causing the stator to burn out?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mad1pca@yahoo.c
i had a similar problem; i was riding the bike for like 45 min. straight. then i took like a 15min break, when i turned the key back on and hit the start button i heard a pop, and the bike went completely dead. i checked all the fuses, and they were all good. the battery connections were tight also. i pushed started it and it started. so i was thinking it was the battery. my boy told me to pull the stator plug loose and see if its brown on the inside, and sure nuff it looked burnt out. so one of my boys brought me another stator yesterday, and it looks a lil burnt also. he said it came off a running bike. so my question is: is the stator just bad? or is the rectifier bad also, which is causing the stator to burn out?
Man. my stator was damaged on the inside...looked like the bolts where rubbing the wires and cutting them on the stator....really wierd. I just got this bike, so I dont know if it was wrecked on the stator side before and just replaced the cover or something...it was really wired...I would try a rectifier if I were you..they are relatively cheap. I happen to find a stator from a friend for 40 bucks....so i lucked out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you know if your stator or rectifier went out?