oil type question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM

Charlie_L.929 is an unknown quantity at this point
oil type question

ok since a lot of people say to use stock oil and filter on the hondas (from an old thread), can you use fully synthetic oil and go back to a stock oil blend on your next oil change? i've heard from a local shop not to do that, but since i've put in a full synthetic blend in my 929 it sorta sounds like its making more engine noise than before...i've also heard that full synthetic oil breaks down faster. is this true? i always thought the full syn. oil was the way to go but it appears i might have been wrong. hope im not bringing up an old topic, but i didnt find these q's anywhere also just wondering but has anyone ever used motul oil and filter b4? thanks for the replies everyone
-charlie
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

skillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: oil type question

I responded in the other thread....
Old 07-12-2006, 01:56 PM

KF_Chris is a decent person

^^^^don't listen to that kid. HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A BIKE!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM

skillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KF_Chris
^^^^don't listen to that kid. HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A BIKE!!!!
and yours isn't even running!?!?!?!? Fvcker!!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM

OverRatedRiderz is an unknown quantity at this point

ahaha funny guys.... but ive ran almost 5 types in my bike.. synthetic oil is probably the best one out there.. but thats form my point of view... works like a charm.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Honda syntheitc blend (HP4)
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

motul :YEAH
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OverRatedRiderz
ahaha funny guys.... but ive ran almost 5 types in my bike.. synthetic oil is probably the best one out there.. but thats form my point of view... works like a charm.
haha "probably the best," "works like a charm." This is based on what?
Oil is oil. Use the cheap stuff. Been using gtx 10-40 for years; no engine problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Hazen is a decent person

There are different grades of oil, as well as different oil base ingredients, which make up different viscosities. There deffinitley is a difference in quality between oil companies.
If you have gone to full synthetic it is possible to switch back but you need to do an oil change with the new oil and filter and run it about 100 miles, followed by another oil change. The first one is to run all the synthetic out of the oil passages.
Use what you want, since you have 2 hondas you don't even really need oil. Or filters. Just gas.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:41 PM

minipig is an unknown quantity at this point

R6 on one, posted the definative all you need to know about oil..

its a long read...

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/96297-oil.html
Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Oil is oil. "motorcyle oil" is a marketing ploy.

There are definitely different grades of oil and components however.

I would say that the best possible oils are ones like Motul and Amsoil that have the highest quality components.

I personally use Mobil1 fully synthetic available at your local Walmart for around $20 a gallon.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by SIC Nate
I personally use Mobil1 fully synthetic available at your local Walmart for around $20 a gallon.
+1 it's called MX4T or something and works great!!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:37 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I think more important than oil type is how many times you change your oil.
Clutch fibers tend to dislodge from all the clutch ups we do. Eventually they can embed themselves in the bearings and cause failure..

Cheers

SK
Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by skillz954
+1 it's called MX4T or something and works great!!
they charge even more for the mxt4 than they do for the regular mobil1

I use mobil1 15w50 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. No clutch slippage problems, it comes up in 4th
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Hazen is a decent person

Not true.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

There are definitely different grades of oil and components however.

I would say that the best possible oils are ones like Motul and Amsoil that have the highest quality components.

+1 i use that stuff too..Make sure it doesn't have the energy conserving stuff on the back
Old 07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hazen
Not true.

okay...I got some "motorcycle gas" to sell you then...

or how 'bout some "motorcycle coolant"

why dont you back up your claim then and educate us
Old 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda from the factory doesn't even recommend synthetic oil. Not saying you can't, but synthetic oil on an all aluminum engine that revs over 13,500 RPMS has a tendency to break down faster than standard 30w. Not 10w-30... I'm talking just 30w
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM

Charlie_L.929 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, thanks for all the help everyone. ya i threw this q up in an old thread i found about race filters but i decided since it wasnt my thread and the title of the thread didnt exactly ask the question that i was wondering about i decided to use my own thread in search for answers. hope it doesnt seem like i sort of did a "double thread". thanks again everyone i really appreciate the time your taking to answer this.
-charlie
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM

boostnm3 is a decent person

Motorcycle oils are made for the bikes transmission and clutch considering the engine oil lubricates those as well. In a car it doesnt, they have separate oils. In the end as long as you stay away from anything that says energy conserving on the back, then you should be fine. The ones that say energy conserving will make your clutch slip. The only castrol that doesnt say energy conserving is 10w40. I personally use Amsoil in my motorcycle. Ive used the shell synthetic rotella and regular rotella in my r6 and they worked great to and the regular shell rotella only cost like $8 for a gallon. The main thing is to change the oil every 2000-3k miles and always use factory filters not crappy fram filters. They dont have valves built inside to hold pressure which makes for engine damage at start up over time. Factory filters and emgo come with built in valves.

Quick Reply: oil type question