Circles...The painful battle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:11 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Circles...The painful battle

I know circles are probably played out by now, but I am still trying to play catch-up for the 9 months being down due to blown motors. It's just one of those things that is nice to add to your freestyle run. Anyways, been going at them for the past few weeks since the installation of the Racing 905 cage and have a new respect level for those making them look easy. So far the bike has landed on me twice, lots of road rash on the knees and arms, broken Toby damper, pretty beat-up looking bike,and a bruised ego. I knew this trick was difficult, but never thought such a slow trick could cause so much damage to both myself and the bike. If it weren't for the cage I would be replacing valuable parts left and right. Got one of the masters of circles(Emrock) down here trying to pass on the wisdom though.

What's some of your war stories while trying to master the art of the Circle Wheelie? What helped you the most finally nail this trick?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
Re: Circles...The painful battle

get rid of your 900 and buy a 636!! lol

i first got consistent with my foot in the subframe and the bars turned all the way left-i don't know why but it took some of the variable out of it. also, stay on top of the bike and don't be afraid to clutch/gas it

you'll get it
Old 10-15-2004, 09:08 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
get rid of your 900 and buy a 636!! lol

i first got consistent with my foot in the subframe and the bars turned all the way left-i don't know why but it took some of the variable out of it. also, stay on top of the bike and don't be afraid to clutch/gas it

you'll get it
Yeah...the 900 is a turd but feels alot better than my old Srad. I heard the 636 is like having training wheels on as it just sits into circles effortlessly. I feel more comfortable for some reason with my foot on the rear peg. I will try them with the foot in the bar today and see how it works out. For some odd reason I can't seem to get past the 180 point...I think it is more of a mental game .
Old 10-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Gas'er!!

are you highsiding mos tof the time or are bringing the front wheel up too high and being forced to stall out???

636 is very nice, but a bike is a bike...except if you are on a turd!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:15 AM

OLIVER is an unknown quantity at this point

Last night i started to do them 180º kinda easy to do 180 but the 360 is hard i noticed by putting wieght on the left rear peg ad tilting my body in a way the bike fell into the circle i donno i got all weekend im gonna keep at them =)
Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

are you highsiding mos tof the time or are bringing the front wheel up too high and being forced to stall out???

Not stalling out...mostly highsiding...with a little bit of lowsiding in there.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 AM

OLIVER is an unknown quantity at this point

some times i have that problem of stalling out and dropping down =(
Old 10-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Gas'er!!

Originally Posted by RedlineJimmy
Not stalling out...mostly highsiding...with a little bit of lowsiding in there.

gotta use more brake to keep it in th ecirlce, and when it comes close to stalling bc of the brake, you need to slip the clutch...as for low siding, that is bc you are letting the nose drop too far and then giving it gas (i'm assuming).

post some vids up!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:28 AM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

I worked on them forever- I was stuck at 1 circle for like 6 months.....then Ronnie and Teach came to my rescue! There are three things that helped me the most- 1. To turn them in (to the left), make your left leg straight, and bend your right leg so that your knee is coming up on the tank. 2. try to concentrate on keepng your right arm in tight to your body and stationary (this helped me stay on top of the bike and avoid falling in). 3. Don't be afraid to use the gas and clutch (thanks, Teach!). You'll get 'em, just don't get discouraged. It took me about a year, 1 stator cover, 2 shifters, 1 cage, and 1 frame to figure them out, but once you get them, you'll feel like anything is possible.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:11 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still learning em and on a good day got 3 or 4. This has gotta be the most time consuming trick to learn. Somedays you move forward somedays it feels like your going nowhere. The first thing I leartned was how to jump off the bike and try to save it as soon as I felt something going wrong.. now instead of jumping off I've been playing with the clutch and gas (like Teach said)

took me forever to not be scared of using the gas
Old 10-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Gas'er!!

i found it best to not practice cirlces the whole time out there. it is beneficial to go away from a trick for a few minutes, a few hours, and even sometimes a few days or months.

i think there is such a thing as trying too hard.

jimmy, you should also play with your idle and air pressure to see what you like...it can make all the difference.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:26 PM
awww **** motorcycles!

paragus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to all

there needs to be more threads like this one
Old 10-15-2004, 02:10 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Outkast Rafe is an unknown quantity at this point

lets try to get a sticky in the help room cause i wanna learn them too
Old 10-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Gas'er!!

Originally Posted by CBO
I started off just doing big circles, which Darius made fun of me and said I was steering and not doing circles and I realized he was right. Now I can snap off 8 consistantly just about every time. I dont really see how people can go for a very long time though. It gets pretty dizzy.

But I finally got them ****ers now after a few saturdays and sundays. I turned my head toward the way I was going then it was over I got em. Now I got a whole new frustration ahead of me and thats the sit down circles. Their tuff but feel like they could be easier when u learn them.
yes, wide 'circles' are simply steering the bike.

here is a hint for sitdowns: you gotta be reallllll smooth and not go in too fast, i often am slipping the clutch the whole time i am going around. you can't get 'em going too fast cuz it wants to spit you off. so keep it smooth and low on the idle and dont be scared to slip that bithc the whole time.

i also found it was easier to sit toward the tank and hold myself up with my arms rather than lean back against the back seat-but i am working on the back seat lean because that is the only way to do one and no handers.

keep at it, as soon as it clicks you kick yourself for not learning it faster...and then it is on like donkey kong!
Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

wait till yall see footage of my dumbass trying circles

left foot rear peg, going to the right

i am ****ing stupid
Old 10-15-2004, 04:10 PM

Jordo636 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread...I'm no where near attempting circles but I'll be there soon cause the guys I ride with are all busting circles, Ryan, LB, SA guys. People always think that **** is easy cause others make it look that way. ****, every damn thing on the bike is tough, just learning the break takes time and lots of practice. I'm just now starting to take my hand off the gas and control the slow rolls.

It's awesome to here you guys talk about working on tricks cause its frustrating to see you all do them so easy and not see the work you had to put into them. Lets keep this thread going I wanna see the work it took all of you guys to get to where you are now on the tougher tricks
Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 PM
*Rockstar*

vertical_joe is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought about it the other day.....It was almost 2 years ago the first time I tried to turn a circle. I have been through cages, mag covers, levers, pegs, brackets, and a ton of body work. I quit on them about 6 months ago (well dedicating whole practice sessions to them anyway)......then started trying them again about 2 months ago. I could get around 1 time all the time.....but was afraid to use the throttle cuz I had high sided so many times. But as soon as I had the confidence to throttle it.....it just kinda of clicked. Now I am rocking foot on the rear peg, sub-frame (I have no bar), and foot in between front and rear seat pretty consistant. Struggling with sit downs though, back to high siding!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems like a never ending battle!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:39 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

I'm working on the sit-downs now also. I have been following Teach's advice, and they're getting better. They speed up fast if you don't slip the clutch! As far as this thread goes, now that I figured circles out somewhat, I'm happy to share any tips I have. I just learned them, so I haven't forgotten how frustrating they are to practice.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 PM
www.mxdcages.com

Michael D Rickman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBO
I started off just doing big circles, which Darius made fun of me and said I was steering and not doing circles and I realized he was right. Now I can snap off 8 consistantly just about every time. I dont really see how people can go for a very long time though. It gets pretty dizzy.

But I finally got them ****ers now after a few saturdays and sundays. I turned my head toward the way I was going then it was over I got em. Now I got a whole new frustration ahead of me and thats the sit down circles. Their tuff but feel like they could be easier when u learn them.
hey cbo to combat dizzyness take dramamine j/k no really try turning your head in 1/4 incruments instead of a continues sweeping motion. it's hard to get use to at first but after you get it down you can start hittin 10-15- 20 ect.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 PM
BEST RIDER EVER

taubr unit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DSOG Thomas
wait till yall see footage of my dumbass trying circles

left foot rear peg, going to the right

i am ****ing stupid

Thats how crazyJ is doin them, he seems to like it, to each his own i guess.

Quick Reply: Circles...The painful battle