Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 AM

mezcal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way.

Originally Posted by mytfast1
Thanks MEZ,
Now other people are saying not to sit down, and try a wheelie. Standing up would put more of my weight over the front end dont you think? :YEAH
Yes initially it will. Rock back and lock your arms when you pop the clutch (not too hard, don't wanna lose throttle control). Same concept. It transfers your weight back and helps lighten the front. I see some in videos bouncing on the pegs a little to get a rebound to lighten the front even more just before popping the clutch. I personally wouldn't bounce on the pegs unless the clutch and leaning back doesn't work. To me it's one more thing to complicate the process and can lead to the bike comin up crooked if not done evenly.
The important thing is not to rush it. Give it several weeks, even if that's just to get the front to pop up and then back down. Each time you try it's a step towards learning the right technique and you gain a little more confidence in your bike and abilities.

now go ride!

mez
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 AM

mytfast1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again MEZ ill go out and give it a try. And just take my time. Thanks for your help!!

Scott
Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 AM

bmschrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

I've got a question. I watched the Wheelie's for Dummies and they recommended tugging on the bars when pulling them up in 2nd gear. I thought you weren't supposed to pull on the bars when doing a wheelie. I can do 1st gear wheelies like a but can't get 2nd gear ones up for the life of me!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:03 AM

MSE_DRiG is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way.

Originally Posted by f4rider
First of all, I learned all of this from my own experience and from the advice of others on this forum.........
thanks alot f4rider i have a CBR 600f '02 and first i tried the wheelies with my DT 125 but now i think im good at wheelies with my CBR. The only problem i have is by parking 12s... can you help me out on this topic???
Old 07-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got this site from a stunt video and I have learned more in the last hour of reading than I could have in a month of riding. Great write up! I went out and tried it right after I read it and it worked awesome. Definitely better than the power-up wheelies I had been trying. The only thing is, I'm afraid of looping the bike. When I did my power ups I was only getting them about 1 or 2 feet up and riding them for maybe 30 yards before I fell back down. The first two times I tried to clutch them up I just lurched foreward, then when I dumped the clutch it came right up no problem. Only thing was that it scared the living s**t out of me! cause I had never had one come up that high before. Is there a certain RPM I should be aiming for when I dump the clutch? And is there a better way to postion myself to ride them out? I wanna be able to just get it up and go. Thanks for helpin out the newbie!

BTW, I'm riding a 04 R6. And I've only been riding for about 3 months. So any other pointers you might have would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:19 PM

spike_x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

advice:
"Don't let your ***** get bigger than your head."

Now get out there and have some fun, just be careful on that pretty new bike of yours.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:58 AM

MSE_DRiG is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Originally Posted by RoadStainR6
I got this site from a stunt video and I have learned more in the last hour of reading than I could have in a month of riding. Great write up! I went out and tried it right after I read it and it worked awesome. Definitely better than the power-up wheelies I had been trying. The only thing is, I'm afraid of looping the bike. When I did my power ups I was only getting them about 1 or 2 feet up and riding them for maybe 30 yards before I fell back down. The first two times I tried to clutch them up I just lurched foreward, then when I dumped the clutch it came right up no problem. Only thing was that it scared the living s**t out of me! cause I had never had one come up that high before. Is there a certain RPM I should be aiming for when I dump the clutch? And is there a better way to postion myself to ride them out? I wanna be able to just get it up and go. Thanks for helpin out the newbie!

BTW, I'm riding a 04 R6. And I've only been riding for about 3 months. So any other pointers you might have would be greatly appreciated!
yo roadstainr6 one of my friends has an '02 r6 and he dumps the clutch at around 6-9 grand.. he guesses the rpm by the sound. if you learn how to properly use your rear brake while wheelieing and you get used to it there will be no chance that the bike will loop. be careful not to scrach ur new bike.. :YEAH
Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm headed out today to mess around. I'm trying to take it slow. But I can't stand knowing what I COULD be doing and not being able to do it. I think I was at about 10k when I dropped it the two or three times I got it up real high. I'll try a lower rpm. I wasn't really looking, I just kinda guned it real quick. I'm lookin for a diecent rat bike. But at the same time I can't afford to spend 5 grand on one. If you know anybody sellin somethin let me know. I don't care as long as it runs haha. Thanks again for the help guys, I"ll let you know how it all went.

Anybody wanna go to the starboys wheelie school with me?? I'm from PA. And I'm seriously lookin into goin. If I can get about 8-10 other people that would be awesome! Thanks again guys. And I'll try not to dump the bike haha.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:17 PM

04gsxr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Info Hopfully I Wont Dump The Bike Tonight....
Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 AM

bjessup is an unknown quantity at this point

does any body have any sug on getting a 96' 900rr up to bp in 2nd i can get it up about 2 feet by clutching running about 45. any sugestions on about what rpm? and how fast?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:09 AM

evilbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Good guide, but hasnt realy given me any clues on things i am doing wrong unfortunatly not every one has a stupidly powerfull sports bike ( had to get some thing a little less )

Any hints for large single owners ( large and underpowerd talking 37bhp )
Old 08-13-2004, 11:11 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evilbob
Any hints for large single owners ( large and underpowerd talking 37bhp )
1st gear, bounce off rev limiter, drop the clutch
Old 08-14-2004, 03:57 AM

stunt757 is an unknown quantity at this point

does ne1 know wut the best was yo wheelie a hondacrf100f dirt bike is its a 100cc and i can ride but it just dosnt feel right, ne body got some tips 4 a new stunter, lol yea im yung 14 but my dad said hes gonna get me a reel stuntin bike when i get a licence sum 1 plzz hear me out and relp back THANX
Old 08-14-2004, 04:16 PM

evilbob is an unknown quantity at this point

1st gear, bounce off rev limiter, drop the clutch
i can get it up, :YEAH and keep it up all though gear ( some times more than 1 ) but just cant tipe it back enough :-(

Any one any ideas why i cant post a stupi new thread i want to ask questions no fair
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 AM

wonmotyme is an unknown quantity at this point

:YEAH ..hey fellas ive been reading and practicing evry day now for about a week ,,i even took the printout of the post out wit me and kept it in my pocket just to keep my memory freshh,,,mannnn im gettin up consistently now ,,ur post was the shiznit f4rider,,thanx alot for ur help,man it cudnt hav been more clear,,,i must say this tho,i did experience the nut slamme a cup times,,caught me off guard,damn that hurts
Old 08-16-2004, 03:37 PM

rara03600f4i is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally got it up in second. Thanks for the advice f4irider. I've heard all the advice before I guess I was just scared of poppin it up to fast or something...I don't know. But it cimes up real easy. I was so stoked when I finally got it up on Saturday. I could always do 1st gear wheelies, not clucthin it though. I found its alot easier to do 1st gear's by clutching it too. What a revelation...LOL

Thanks again

Old 08-17-2004, 03:56 AM

zooo0000M SPLAT is an unknown quantity at this point

Balancing the wheelie from side to side

It is the slow wheelies that you have to consciously balance side to side. The principle is pretty simple. Quickly lean the same direction as the bike is falling. For example, if the bike is starting to fall to the left, you would quickly lean to the left. This movement would twist the bike towards the left, thereby correcting it.
After reading this I have to think, if you LEAN IN the direction which your bike is leaning/falling wouldn't that just add your weight to the direction is falling? In theorum for physics that makes no sense to lean INTO the direction something is leaning in order to cause it to lean in the opposite direction, someone explain this.......
Old 08-17-2004, 10:03 PM

NeeNo is an unknown quantity at this point

hey that is some good *** info man..Thanks alot

Boyz From.... Zero 2 Sixty wanna thank you much
Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM

stuntincbr600rr is an unknown quantity at this point

i ride on 04 cbr 600rr granted i know that it is not a stunt bike by far but i was wondering if anyone had any tips on this underpowered bike i had to change the stock sprockets to get it to lift i went one down in the front and 3 up in the rear dont get me wrong it will come up but i need some advice on rocking a 2nd gear stand up should i clutch if so how and at what rpm should i put the left foot back should i power it up if so how to bounce and at how fast or rpm

Matt
Old 08-21-2004, 12:43 AM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zooo0000M SPLAT
After reading this I have to think, if you LEAN IN the direction which your bike is leaning/falling wouldn't that just add your weight to the direction is falling? In theorum for physics that makes no sense to lean INTO the direction something is leaning in order to cause it to lean in the opposite direction, someone explain this.......
You're thinking too hard... or maybe not hard enough .
Try standing on a hand rail snow-board style. What do you do when you start falling backwards? You arch your back, lean back, and swing your arms like you're doing the back stroke. And when you start falling forward, you lean forward, stick your *** out, and swing your arms the opposite way.

Now that we've disproved your physics theorems; that has nothing to do with balancing slow wheelies side to side. Wheelies are not balanced by the change of weight distribution, but by turning the rear wheel into the direction that the bike is falling. When the bike is in the wheelie position, the rear wheel is turned by twisting the bike. The force which causes you to lean (pushing with one hand, pulling with the other) is the same force which twists the bike while it’s on the rear wheel.

Now go outside and grab your BMX or mountain bike and prove this for yourself.

Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way